Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX Removing factory subwoofer box

Parrothead

I need to pull my factory subwoofer box to gain access to the heater core and blower fan for heater. Found that the Heater blower was hanging down and need to reattach. What is the best method to remove factory subwoofer box. Is there a better way to gain access to the blower motor? I have the level 3 stereo with a Rockford Fosgate sub in a box in the driver footwell. I need to remove and gain access to the heater core, blower fan. I am assuming I need to pull the sub and I will gain access to a way to remove. Is is attached to the floor and the side, just the floor. How many bolt/screws am I looking for? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yours may be different but I my sub was free-air mounted to a piece of hdpe. It was screwed to the floor at an angle and the heads where hidden in the carpet. There was also one screw on the right side. I run a 1" putty knife under the edge to find the screws.

• 1 month later...

Take the sub out, there will be 4 lag bolts inside the box going into the floor. Remove those and she should come out.

Edited by bobbysky
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the sub box is out. There was one screw inside the box (behind the sub) and three in the face of the sub box on an angle going into the floor. The worst part was not over. The side map pocket/ cup holder would not allow the sub box to come out. There are 6 screws holding it in place. Then the seat had to be removed from the pedestal to remove the map pocket. After all this the sub box is out, the blower motor is reattached to the heater core. There are two small screws on the rear of the blower unit and 4 sheet metal tabs on heater core to hold it in place. I am not sure why they didn't put the tabs on the back and the screws in the front to access, but if you hold your tongue just right you can find the hole blindly in the most akward position you can imagine. I put loctite on the screws, but I am also going to use some large zip ties to go completely around the heater core box and the blower motor to make sure it doesn't fall again. There is a gap between the bulkhead and the heater core box to achieve this. I believe it can be done with the sub box in place with a little effort in case any of you are into preventive repairs with your down time. Just thought I would provide some feedback. Thanks for the help.

Where are factory subs installed? I don't think I have one, but my 6.5" speakers are putting a pretty rumbling bass making me wonder if there isn't a sub hidden somewhere? Cause 6.5's don't normally make this much bass.

Kick panel or try the passenger compartment.

Yeah I thought so, nothing there. Must just be a decent set of 6.5s. Probably wont sound that nice on the water though.

Well the sub box is out. There was one screw inside the box (behind the sub) and three in the face of the sub box on an angle going into the floor. The worst part was not over. The side map pocket/ cup holder would not allow the sub box to come out. There are 6 screws holding it in place. Then the seat had to be removed from the pedestal to remove the map pocket. After all this the sub box is out, the blower motor is reattached to the heater core. There are two small screws on the rear of the blower unit and 4 sheet metal tabs on heater core to hold it in place. I am not sure why they didn't put the tabs on the back and the screws in the front to access, but if you hold your tongue just right you can find the hole blindly in the most akward position you can imagine. I put loctite on the screws, but I am also going to use some large zip ties to go completely around the heater core box and the blower motor to make sure it doesn't fall again. There is a gap between the bulkhead and the heater core box to achieve this. I believe it can be done with the sub box in place with a little effort in case any of you are into preventive repairs with your down time. Just thought I would provide some feedback. Thanks for the help.

Go ahead and make a seat riser while you got it pulled off.

• Like 2