Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing hard tanks

40oz

you do not need to cut these to get them out, you will probably create more work for yourself to by cutting them. I took mine out a few years ago, disconnect the fills and drains, unscrew the two brackets on the floor, and remove the piston for the door and you should be able to remove the tanks. I cant remember but there might be a bracket on the backside that will need to be unscrewed. I still have mine in the basement, one day I will figure out where to use them.

Hi

when i removed the tanks from my 2004 vlx, as far as i can remember I put the tank flat on the floor. i.e. uncarpeted side flat to the floor, then lifted the end up opposite to the gas strut. the came out with nothing to spare.

good luck.

For what ever reason, your rear hatches look smaller than mine....same hull but maybe a different design back there :dontknow: I didn't have to cut mine to get them out....can you remove that cross brace?

Edit - Too late!!

Edited by Ndawg12

I think on the newer boats you can lay them flat on the floor and slide them under the seats a little bit to get the right clearance when you angle them up and out? I remember mine "just" fit when I removed them.

For what ever reason, your rear hatches look smaller than mine....same hull but maybe a different design back there :dontknow: I didn't have to cut mine to get them out....can you remove that cross brace?

Edit - Too late!!

It was going to be a pain in the butt to get the cross brace out.

I used the 750s. If you don't surf or you don't surf often the 750's will work great. For that super surf wave you need more than a 750. I use the 750 on the port. a 400 on the port bench. a 400 in the bow and the mid tank floor. Makes the wave ridable.

I filled the 750s about 2/3 full with the wedge down and the mid tank full it made the wake BIG at 24mph but the boat really needs a little bow weight because it does porpoise a little in that configuration.

Definitely 750s for surfing. It's a bit of a debate for wakeboarding, especially if you use the wedge, but you can always just fill them part way. I'm still not happy with my bow ballast but that's another story.

If you go 750s, need to relocate the battery and add engine divider panel stiffeners. You will also run into siphoning issues, so check valves, ball valves, anti siphon loops etc...lots of threads on this stuff.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The Flyhigh 400's probably actually fill close to 500lbs. IMO they are the prefect size for our hull with the 500 mid tank full and another 300lbs in the bow. I've had several good comments on my wake from very experienced riders, only complaint was that it's too narrow, not much you can do about that. If you want to surf go with 1100's.

Sorta depends on the prop you're running or plan to run. I struggle to get on plane loaded with the 537....

Edited by Ndawg12

My current plan is to run 2 500# in the rear lockers, the 500# mid tank, and lay a 1100 surf sack in the bow long ways. Should have everything installed before the new year.

The Flyhigh 400's probably actually fill close to 500lbs. IMO they are the prefect size for our hull with the 500 mid tank full and another 300lbs in the bow. I've had several good comments on my wake from very experienced riders, only complaint was that it's too narrow, not much you can do about that. If you want to surf go with 1100's.

Sorta depends on the prop you're running or plan to run. I struggle to get on plane loaded with the 537....

What rope length and speed you usually ride at?

Surf 1100 I ride 1100 full wedge down center full in the center I put a 400 like this / ride at 11.2mph if I have extra people in the boat I take a little out of the 1100 prop is a 1235 also no bow weight I used to ride with bow weight but I was always worried about the bow going under water.

That doesn;t look like surgery. It looks like a massacre! :rofl:

Well, i tried to get them out with out surgery but had to operate.

In the medical profession, we sometimes say 'Heal with steel'.

That looks about right.

Okay, so here is the follow up question. Santa brought me two new fat sacks to replace the old hard tanks. I have all plumbing and fittings figured out. Only area of concern i have, is where the discharge pumps are hooked to. (i do not have the jabsco super nice pumps) I have two Attwood Tsunami 800 ballast pumps that i plan to screw into my fat sacks.

Question is, do i need to add anything to the threads (tape or cauk) to ensure a good seal? There seemed to be some cauking on the threads of the ballast pumps that were attached to the hard tanks that i removed.

For semi permanent install wakemakers told me to use clear PVC glue (not the blue stuff you use on a sprinkler system).

IIRC the threads on the bags are "straight," not "pipe," so Teflon tape doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...