Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine compression test - good or bad?

New2Texas

So the engine compression test came back on the 2006 wakesetter VLX I am interested in and here is the result:

Hours:320

Can someone help me understand if this is good or bad?

Edit: should the results be within a specific range? what is an acceptable spread from the highest number to the lowest?

Edited by New2Texas

First what kinda compression test was done, but those numbers are good. within the range of 10%

not sure what kind, it was a pre purchase inspection.

I imagine it was the kind where you remove the plugs, stick a compression test gauge in one of the holes and crank it with the throttle open....

Doesn't sound like a leak down test was conducted, but those are good enough compression numbers I wouldn't be too worried.

Edited by CliffB

Your compression numbers look great for 320 hours, (( Well Above the Average 300hour block)) looks like someone is changing the oil!! No worries on the range, more compression can be attributed the location of the cylinder and the oil or fluids in the cylinder, what can be concerning is leaking cylinders or significantly lower hole compared to the norm.

Edited by JAXONBOATS