Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HDPE - Couple Questions

Murphy8166

Doing a couple things over the winter...and wanting to explore HDPE as an alternative to the expensive King Starboard.

I have a couple panels that I want to carpet and If I can avoid wood them I would like to. I would need to get a 3/4" black plastic material that I could cut and shape with normal woodworking tools. Also would like something that I could glue carpet too.

I know that David, MLA and other should have some suggestions on this....please let them fly!

All theses polymers are soft and cut like butter with normal wood-working tools/bits/blades. Staples are not particularly strong into polymers whether KS, ABS or HDPE. Glues won't adhere to KingStarboard. HDPE will not polish smooth like KingStarboard for finished glossy parts. Glue will adhere to HDPE. HDPE costs less than KS. KS can withstand continued exposure to UV but HDPE is not as UV resistant.

David

All theses polymers are soft and cut like butter with normal wood-working tools/bits/blades. Staples are not particularly strong into polymers whether KS, ABS or HDPE. Glues won't adhere to KingStarboard. HDPE will not polish smooth like KingStarboard for finished glossy parts. Glue will adhere to HDPE. HDPE costs less than KS. KS can withstand continued exposure to UV but HDPE is not as UV resistant.

David

So would it be safe to say HDPE is good as a backer board for things (such as the base to a seat, carpeted panels, etc.) while King Starboard is more for exposed finished products, such as a screwed-down custom switch panel, block-off plates, etc.?

So would it be safe to say HDPE is good as a backer board for things (such as the base to a seat, carpeted panels, etc.) while King Starboard is more for exposed finished products, such as a screwed-down custom switch panel, block-off plates, etc.?

That would be an accurate statement.

David

Doing a couple things over the winter...and wanting to explore HDPE as an alternative to the expensive King Starboard.

I have a couple panels that I want to carpet and If I can avoid wood them I would like to. I would need to get a 3/4" black plastic material that I could cut and shape with normal woodworking tools. Also would like something that I could glue carpet too.

I know that David, MLA and other should have some suggestions on this....please let them fly!

I need to replace this panel, is this what you are talking about when you say King Starboard?

577B4BC0-723F-4339-8F4A-A4D8621AF7B6-534-0000002B5B4F2B1A.jpg

I need to replace this panel, is this what you are talking about when you say King Starboard?

i'm guessing that the pix is of the floor panel that covers the shaft coupling, stuffing box and exhaust in a direct drive.

if that's what it is i think that panel is a honeycomb aluminum piece.

Believe me. No OEM will use expensive KingStarboard for parts that don't show as finished or are covered in another material.

David

Edited by Earmark Marine

i'm guessing that the pix is of the floor panel that covers the shaft coupling, stuffing box and exhaust in a direct drive.

if that's what it is i think that panel is a honeycomb aluminum piece.

Yes exactly, what should I replace it with?

can I use a 3/4 inch thick piece of HDPE and carpet it, will that hold up to the traffic or do I need to hunt for another piece of the honeycomb aluminum stuff?

My apology to Murphy if I have taken his thread off topic

590D13E6-6609-42FA-BA2B-E15BBC8DC5E5-534-0000002B54A5C62C.jpg

Edited by Bozboat

David

I used some king starboard to make a few small things like my foot panel around my sub. The carpet stuck to it unbelievably firm. In fact, I screwed up a small part and tried to remove the carpet. No way that was going to happen, the carpet disintegrated as I pulled with all my might, instead of coming off. Maybe you need better carpet glue, or I don't got king starboard?

This is the stuff I bought: http://www.ebay.com/...=item51a1e98dd9

I think I don't really know the difference between KS and HDPE...aren't they the same? The ad seems to indicate so.

Edited by TallRedRider

Yes exactly, what should I replace it with?

can I use a 3/4 inch thick piece of HDPE and carpet it, will that hold up to the traffic or do I need to hunt for another piece of the honeycomb aluminum stuff?

My apology to Murphy if I have taken his thread off topic

590D13E6-6609-42FA-BA2B-E15BBC8DC5E5-534-0000002B54A5C62C.jpg

Believe it or not, that assembly is essentially an I beam. For the assembly to work though, the fiberglass skins on the top and bottom need to be attached to the core material. Other cores available and easier to work with are end grain balsa and other cellular plastics. Check Jamestown Distributing for fiberglass products. On a completely tangental side note, it was reported by Sailing Anarchy that Jan Gougeon, co-founder of West System Epoxy has passed.

I used some king starboard to make a few small things like my foot panel around my sub. The carpet stuck to it unbelievably firm. In fact, I screwed up a small part and tried to remove the carpet. No way that was going to happen, the carpet disintegrated as I pulled with all my might, instead of coming off. Maybe you need better carpet glue, or I don't got king starboard?

This is the stuff I bought: http://www.ebay.com/...=item51a1e98dd9

I think I don't really know the difference between KS and HDPE...aren't they the same? The ad seems to indicate so.

Even the manufacturer site clearly states that glue will NOT bond....not even with 3M 5200. You have to weld the KS polymer for a bond. And this info corresponds to my personal experiences.

So I'm not going to speculate exactly what material or variation you have and why a simple contact cement will hold.

David

Here is the glue I used, and I bought the stuff on Ebay. It is interesting that it came with the very same covering that says King Starboard all over it. I see on the KS website where it says adhesives are pretty tough to use. So something is up here...or that glue is just BA. I am going to Email the seller.

For anyone considering using the stuff of Ebay from seller acesany, here is a pic of the glue I used, the part I screwed up and the part I did right. I got the glue at Lowe's. Sorry for the sort of Hijak...but I wouldn't hesitate to use this stuff for the floor of the boat in a thicker version. Even the 1/4" stuff is very tough.

2012-12-20201151.jpg

2012-12-20201106.jpg

2012-11-02135901.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider

Here is the response I got back from the Ebay seller of Starboard:

We have been using and selling King Starboard for over 14 years. It has always been nearly impossible to glue it to itself, however we also make the telescoping dog ramps www.dogramp.com and we glue indoor/ outdoor carpet to it using liquid nails and it works great. ?I hope this helps. Thank you, allen