Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Greenfield Coated Anchors

kennyo

I would guess that it is just a galvanized anchor thats been dipped. I've never used mine yet. If I remember right, they have to slice the coating so the flute will move.

The fluke anchors are good, but you tend to need to put out a lot of scope for them to actually plow and dig in....something like 3:1 or even 4:1. Most of the time they just sit on the bottom as dead weight (and work very well regardless). The important thing is to use a proper lead, such as 5' or more of stainless chain at the anchor. The chain allows the flukes to assume a downward position and dig in. Without a lead (just straight rope) there's not much chance of the flukes taking a set in the bottom surface.

Any sailor with a lot of cruising experience will tell you the same.

For the ski boat, I just use a coated mushroom anchor with 5' of reasonably heavy stainless chain. The mushroom anchor doesn't hold quite as well but it doesnt scratch and dent the boat as much when retrieving it and stowing it away.

Just my $.02. With 30+ years of sailing cruising experience I've learned a thing or two about anchors. The windage and weight of a 50' sailboat at 20,000lbs with a 55' mast means you have to have your s*#! together when anchoring.

Edited by CliffB

You can buy coated chain as well.

I use the fluke anchor, 6 feet of coated chain and plenty of rope. We are on soft bottom impoundments and will drop a small 5 pound anchor off the back to aid with stability if we choose.

Ya, that's what I want is everything coated. With the new boat coming, I want something that's safer for scratches and nicks. The wife grabs the anchor sometimes. :0

Box Anchor is the only way to go. No chain needed. I usually don't even use rope, just an Anchor Buddy. Mine is only a little over a year old & it's not rusting at all.

As for the coating.... no idea. I assume it would chip after a while. But the bottom line is the design of the anchor itself.... will it hold your boat in a breeze or waves? How about 2 or 3 boats? The Box will & has. I just be careful with it so I don't drop it on the boat.

• Like 1

That thing folds up kinda nice. Most of the time I anchor to the shoreline on an island. I wonder if I should just get one of those spikes?

When I anchor to the shore, I use a spike on the shore itself, and then the anchor & anchor buddy out in the water holding it just offshore. The Anchor Buddy allows us to pull the boat in, unload, then release & the boat floats back out safely.

• Like 2

I use the same system....box anchor and a shore spike. It rocks.

The box anchor also is amazing at holding....we had a floatilla of 8 boats at the WOW and we were drifting and dragging a couple mushrooms. I threw the box anchor and we never moved again. Later that weekend it was just my anchor holding about 7 boats. Pretty impressive. Scotty nicknamed it the man killer after seeing it for the first time and thinking it looked like an overgrown bear trap. :lol:

• Like 1

Yea, we've had similar experiences with the Box Anchor too..... several boats in a 10 - 15 mph breeze, and only 1 Box anchor. I think at the Wow a couple years ago it was 13 boats being held by 3 anchors.

Just my $.02. With 30+ years of sailing cruising experience I've learned a thing or two about anchors. The windage and weight of a 50' sailboat at 20,000lbs with a 55' mast means you have to have your s*#! together when anchoring.

I love reading this post. It totally brought me back to when I was a kid sailing from Jamestown to Block Island!

Just ordered this set up. Now I just need a boat, LOL

Your gonna love that setup. Look around on this site & other boating sites. Tons of people using the same setup on a variety of lake bottoms, boats, etc., & the stories are almost always very similar.

Thanks. I also went with the shallow water anchor line. Since I'm anchoring mostly to an island, didn't think the longer one would work as well.

Kennyo. Love this setup, looks like it makes for easy storage on board. So what did this all cost $, as I'm in need of the same arrangment for the new boat.

Have you got a Web address for these guys?

Slideanchor.com or Bakesmarine.com has the anchor and spike. Overtons has the box anchor with free shipping. Slideanchor.com was more expensive because of the shipping but they offered a bag to store the anchor and spike in, I didn't see the others offer the bag. So I went with them for the storage bag. I bought the anchor buddy line on Bakesmarine.com though.

Thanks, i checked it out on line. I'm going to hold off till Feb after i go to the boat show up here.

I'll see if the products are up here, and check pricing before i buy on line.

:thumbup: