Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hi all

rcuadro

Haven't been here too long and have been doing more reading than anything. After tons of reading here and other places I picker up an 05 VLX. Not the latest and greatest, not the biggest or the coolest, she has some quirks that I need to work out but I am going to enjoy the heck out of it come spring time.

I only got to take her out 3 times before it got too cold (I am a b**** when it comes to the cold ;) )

I had been on a boat only twice before... and the last one was on my friend's 23 LSV and we spent 11 hours on the water. My son and I have never been wakeboarding before then and we spend more time on our face than upright on the wakeboard but it was a ton of fun... hence the boat purchase.

They say the best days for a boat owner is the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I was pretty stoked when I bought it and I hope the happy day when selling comes because I am purchasing another one.

PS

Bust Out Another Thousand was not a joke... yikes this can get expensive quick!

Here are the requisite pics...

Returning from the first time out. Yep.. only one wakeboard rack and I didnt own a wakeboard when I got the boat :) so we just spent 3 hours cruising back and forth and stopping to jump and swim.

151721E6-0D02-425C-98BA-85077AA4EB16-14584-0000049448E72523.jpg

In the marina, hibernating for the winter... Full tank of gas with stabil, engine drained, hull waxed, everything that is easily removable (seats, bimini, etc) moved into my attic, the standard Malibu cover on, and a big a** tarp to keep rain/snow/ and crap from accumulating on the cover making it sag and possibly tear. Only thing I think I need to do it lift the tires from the ground and set them on a paving block to minimize rotting of the tires as it sits on the ground/grass for the winter.

E574C68F-4139-42C6-9428-7B96CB3A26CC-14584-0000049452BC87D8.jpg

I have high hopes for spring/summer/fall...

-Rob

A good buddy of mine has an 05 VLX, very solid boat, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the crew!!

A couple things, I hope the boat is extremely dry, that tarp won't let any water in or out!! Search Evolution covers, it will be your best boat purchase ever!! And for the trailer tires, I just put about 10 extra pounds of air in them for the offseason.

I put a can of descicant in the engine to try and keep moisture down but you are right... that tarp lets nothing in or out.

The evolution cover looks to go down to maybe the rub rail... I am looking for something that will cover the hull also since it is going to be sitting for months. For now the plan is going to be to take the tarp off every now and then to let it breath... and put more descicant.

If I could keep the boat in my driveway I would just get one of those heaters/dehumidifiers... but the city will fine me $500 if I leave it in my driveway

I put a can of descicant in the engine to try and keep moisture down but you are right... that tarp lets nothing in or out.

The evolution cover looks to go down to maybe the rub rail... I am looking for something that will cover the hull also since it is going to be sitting for months. For now the plan is going to be to take the tarp off every now and then to let it breath... and put more descicant.

If I could keep the boat in my driveway I would just get one of those heaters/dehumidifiers... but the city will fine me $500 if I leave it in my driveway

Although we make fun of him, my buddy had a skirt made for his cover. I'm sure Cory at Evolution has something like this.

It only took you 1 post before we started spending your money :biggrin:

You can use a smaller tarp to keep the crap off the cover, the one I use allowes a lot of breating as it only touches the cover on the bow and stern. As for covering the sides you can have a local canvis shop add "curtains" to your cover for that purpose,

Congratulation on the Bu and welcome to the crew. You wont find a better bunch of guys and gals to help you "Bust Out Another Thousand" on your Bu.

Welcome and congrats. Cool first pic ! Done mind me asking where the pic was taken.

Steve B.

It was taken at West Landing Marina in Virginia Beach...

2748 West Landing Rd Virginia Beach, VA 23456

Only cost $5 to launch...

Edited by rcuadro

Although that is a good cover, take some measurements as it may not line up with the tower.

The website says 05-present VLX... though I would hate to spend $525 only to have to turn around and try to off load it

Here is the cover I had made the first week I had my new "Ride". On my last boat I had the same style cover with side skirts that covered all the way to the ground including the tongue of the trailer. It really made no difference and the last few years I never put them on.

This cover is made of sunbrella. In my opinion this is best type of cover. I really didn't like the way all the other cover go around the tower.

Great looking boat. Have fun with it.. Oh and the saying about the day you buy and the day you sell, are the big days but all the memories you will make with your family will be priceless

photo2-7-1.jpg

As you get older, the day that your kids run into the room and jumpt on you to wake you up begging to go to the lake will be some of the best memories ever.

Congrats! Great looking boat.

I don't want to start a war...But as far as not being the latest and greatest, I am not all that sure that the latest is all that much greater, IMHO. I think you will have as much fun as anyone else.

welcome, and nice boat! I love those years great hulls.

Hey just a heads up. I know your shopping for a cover but I would do it sooner rather than later. I have seen those tarps cause rash in windy environments. My friend covered a muscle car with one and when he took it off in the spring he had to invest several hours worth of buffing to bring the paint back.

Another reason is that covers can be a little cheaper this time of year. At least I know that Cory is willing to adjust the price a little, not much, because material is cheaper. But don't take that to the bank you should call him.

I don't want to start a war...But as far as not being the latest and greatest, I am not all that sure that the latest is all that much greater, IMHO. I think you will have as much fun as anyone else.

I think I will also... I just had to get over the sticker shock when I started looking! Oh my freaking god! Over 100K for a freaking boat? But after much searching I found the best boat for the money I wanted to spend. it is scary dropping 31k on a 7 year old anything

Hey just a heads up. I know your shopping for a cover but I would do it sooner rather than later. I have seen those tarps cause rash in windy environments. My friend covered a muscle car with one and when he took it off in the spring he had to invest several hours worth of buffing to bring the paint back.

Another reason is that covers can be a little cheaper this time of year. At least I know that Cory is willing to adjust the price a little, not much, because material is cheaper. But don't take that to the bank you should call him.

I thought about the wind rash... but my money tree is not growing so I have to take it one step at a time. Though I do realize that a couple hundred now will save thousands down the road. Just gotta save my pennies ya know and spend them wisely.

Right now, the tarp is making contact with the tower since I have the standard cover on it that comes down to the rub rail... and I tied the bottom of the tarp to the trailer frame.

Edited by rcuadro

You need to wrap the tower in shrink wrap to keep the tarp from scratching the tower. Do it everywhere loose tarp hits the boat..

Good luck and congrats on the purchase.

Scott

Welcome to the Bu Crew. Boating is a great way to spend your money. I'm sure I'm in the whole thousands of dollars but I keep buying boats. Moneys not that important any way, having fun is. Do find a better way to cover your boat mildew build up is a b**** to clean.