Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

24 MXZ or WS247?

Truekaotik

Depends on what you want to do with it. If surfing is your primary plan, go with the 247. If you are more into wakeboarding go with the 24MXZ. Either way make sure to get the plug-n-play and some extra ballast bags!

really the surf gate is what intrigued me the most.. but I have to have a huge wave, im spoiled with my Centurion at the moment... how much additional weight will i need for this on a 247?

I have surfed a 23LSV surfgate, and the wave was great.

But to this point, 24MXZ surfgate included, I have yet to see a surfwave better than a slammed 247. I am sure when when folks get on the 24MXZs, they will get them throwing monster waves also....but at the current point till they post up proof, I am fairly certain the 247 still is the champ. Centurions, MCX30s included.

So how much weight you slinging slammed on your 247 Ryan? Can you throw up a pic of your wave? I thought I read somewhere your slammed in a 247??

Edited by Truekaotik

They just deleted my acme prop sale thread as I sold the prop. I had a ton of pics on there.... Give me a couple days. Belly high, 15-20ft rideable area at 11mph. Slow down to 10.4 and it's huge.... I am after the speed... 11.2 - 11.4 is perfect for bigger guys to get drive and firm water pressure under the board. Allows you to carve...weave in and off the wave. I am 6'1" at 195.

My boat is goofy only:

1100 filled 70% in the trunk on top of 3 SRM29s

750 filled 80% under the seats

1100 on top of the seats

85gal tank 1/2 -2/3.... NOT full

Center tank 2/3

RR tank full

Front tank 2/3

Wedge at 70% down

10.8 - 11.6 mph

The compartments limit the fill in the trunk and under the seats.

The reason for 2/3 fill on gas, center and front, is you want the weight...but NOT level you back out. You want the extreme lean RR corner to really gouge the water. 2/3 fill weighs mostly on the surf side.

Edited by nyryan2001

I have been on a 23 lsv with surfgate with an additional 750 lbs in each corner, weighted evenly, and the wake was 95% as good as my slammed 2009 247 (2600 lbs on one side). The wake was so good, I built a Surf Fin for my 2009 247. With the Surf Fin, and the boat slammed and weighted evenly, the wake was MUCH MORE FUN to surf than it was when I just slammed it and leaned it. Bigger, taller, longer, much better transition, much bigger area to surf in - everyone in our group prefers it hands down. Here is a link to the thread with weight comparisons, speed data, and detailed videos. Glad to answer any questions you might have: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40655-slammed-247-vs-surf-fin-247/page__hl__slammed

I have not been on a slammed new 247 with Surfgate, but see no reason why it wouldn't be great. I prefer the 247 over the MXZ because I am not a big fan of pickles, and because we prefer more room in the back cabin, and don't need all the extra room up in the bow. That being said, the MXZ is a later generation hull, and likely has some advantages there.

Rob

I'd consider the 23 LSV as well... interior similar to the 24MXZ (not as deep and smaller bow) and it would require much less ballast to sink the boat and get a nice wave.

I think with the 24' boats its going to very hard to get a wave as big as the one above without listing the boat.

Nice pic Ry, thanks :) I'm going 247 or 24 but thanks for telling me how good the 23 is.. I want and need the space inside actually.... Have you found a way to get the wash off the lip? It just looks a little washy up there?

Listing don't bother me :) but I was thinking malibu for the fact I thought I wouldn't have to list... I can list a Enzo 244 or a Z3 and get a bigger cleaner wave right now :( anyone weighting past factory with a gate system yet???

Weighing past factory? Yes of course... There's tons of reviews and reports on here. If you want the short and sweet of it: I just ordered a 23 LSV because IMO i(after a few demos and bunch of reading) its the best Surf Gate boat.

Surf Gate wave is much different than typical listed boat wave. Most think it is better, but some don't agree. I would get to searching / reading / and demo some boats before you make your decision.

Weighing past factory? Yes of course... There's tons of reviews and reports on here. If you want the short and sweet of it: I just ordered a 23 LSV because IMO i(after a few demos and bunch of reading) its the best Surf Gate boat.

Surf Gate wave is much different than typical listed boat wave. Most think it is better, but some don't agree. I would get to searching / reading / and demo some boats before you make your decision.

That's good info, I didn't know the 23 was better to some, that explains the 23s up above :) thanks

I will demo next year when we thaw but I wanted to be well informed and have a really good idea what to ask to test, I don't think they'll let me demo 3 or 4, maybe 2.. :( and I want to make sure it has the proper equipment (sac and such) before I ask for a test.. Ryan's post gave me a great list of weight and what to look for when I start looking in spring, but again won't buy till fall or the following spring..

Good to hear... I never demo'd a 247 but I did the 23 LSV and 24 MXZ... also watched every surf gate vid and read every review. IMO the MXZs are wakeboarding boats first and surf second. One problem with surf gate on the MXZ is spray you get over the gate. Read here:

Also my impression of the 24's is that they are HUGE boats, unless you really feel the need to go big you might find yourself with too much boat. You will need more ballast, more engine, more gas, more towing, more storage. Handling and time to plane will suffer.

I like the 23 because it has lots of room but is still sporty like the smaller boats. Also with two 750's in the back it throws a nice clean Surf Gate wave. The best I have seen.

Here's a good review on the 24 MXZ:

And a bunch of info on 2013 LSV: https://www.google.com/search?q=2013+lsv+&aq=f&oq=2013+lsv+&aqs=chrome.0.57j0j60l3j0.3775&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&tbo=d&q=+site:themalibucrew.com+2013+lsv&sa=X&ei=H5PLUOC6OrDWigLj94CAAg&ved=0CEAQrQIwAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.cGE&fp=1ad8c242e1bf948a&bpcl=39967673&biw=1233&bih=779