Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is skiing / how much is it a fading sport ?

bandit

Where does skiing sit against wakeboarding participation wise ?

How many skis are sold against boards I wonder ?

Will skiing ever make a comeback like it has in snow skiing against snowboarding ?

I think it's all based on what people enjoy. We grew up on the water, and although we skied, never really got that into it, enjoyed kneeboarding more. But when flight 69 hit, we were hooked. (yeah I know I'm getting old) it just seemed IMO that you could do more. Other side is some of our buddies enjoyed skiing more and weren't interested. I wouldn't saying its dying, it certainly isn't going to just end. I still think its important to have my son do both and let him decide from there

I see a number of people getting into skiing. Talking to a local shop he told me they are seeing an increase in ski sales. I beleive it is making a comeback, but I am not sure it will to the same magnitude as snow skiing.

I think there's a lot in my generation (32 yo) who enjoy the water but whose bodies can't take the pounding from wakeboarding anymore. I essentially quit "pushing" it wakeboarding about 10 years ago after 2 blown knees and a follow up surgery (of course in addition to countless other injuries including ankles and shoulders). I might still have some fun on the board but never again with the mindset that each set requires learning something new or else its a failure. Skiing is so much easier on the body so I see 2 things happening 1) people like me get skiing again or 2) people surf more and more. The latter is going to happen no matter what but for a lot of people, after the initial fun of surfing, it gets a little stale. Thats not going to happen for skiers or footers even if they're just cruisers. I don't see the high school generation skiing but they will start in their late 20s if they really love the water.

If my lake had a course I would ski a LOT. But it doesn't, so back and forth open skiing around imaginary buoys just gets old after a while. So like when you are sking, the buoy is your target and without a target it loses something to me. When wakeboarding, the wake is your target. Always looking at that target to hit it right and do something in the air. That's why I started wakeboarding. My bag of tricks (at 43) is W2W and a variety of grabs. No real interest on spinning or flipping (tho I still try occasionally) cuz it's not worth the risk of injury.

Barefooting is just a freaking blast, but part of that is learning as I go (I'm not very good).

Surfing is a novelty. Fun but not a real big deal. But then again that's behind an Echelon, so FWIW.

• Like 2

I dont see skiing ever dieing off, but the boat industry is more geared towards the wake and surf industry side now. I know the last few years going to the spring boat shows it is really hard to even find a true ski boat, ie the response txi, mastercraft 197 ect. at the shows, all wake boats. As far as being easier on your body, depends on whay level u take it, I know trying to ski a course at 34mph is working all parts of the body, with major tourqe on it! Great cardio and muscle work out!

Edited by Skier007
  • Like 2

I still really enjoy skiing but that is what I grew up doing. I have a few friends that also enjoy it and we do get out some for morning runs. I taught my wife how to ski about 4 years ago and she really likes it too. There is no better workout than an intense slalom run. The speed and acceleration you can create on the ski is what makes it enjoyable to me. I think skiing would takeoff more if all the skiers would start wearing flat billed hats pulled down real low on their forehead... start using the words - epic, stoked, classic.... and get some tattoos going up their arms...

I plan on teaching my kids to ski before anything else. Just like daddy. Just thinking about skiing reminded me that I need to go for a jog! Gotta get conditioned for this season!

• Like 3

I think the problem for skiing lies in the required progression. You need to first master a two ski deep water start, then learn to drop a ski, followed by a deep water slalom start and then things start to get fun. With wakeboarding you can learn to come out of the water and "ride" looking like everyone else in a couple of trys, max. Makes it way easier to hook the kids and keep their intrest.

I agree with Skier007 that skiing isn't by definition easier on the body.....when pushed it too can be a major workout. I am smart enought to know my kids will do what they want but I intend to nudge them towards the skinny stick whenever possible.

I don't think the sport is dying but it sure as hell isn't growning too fast in these parts. For the next few years I see skiing and wakeboarding taking a backseat to surfing....at least until everyone gets bored of 10 mph runs. I enjoy the novalty of surfing but I have a "steal from your neighbour - lie to your wife" addiction to skiing that dominates the time I spend behind a boat.....its the speed and grace of the sport that has me hooked. I'm not nearly talented enough on a wakeboard to experience the same thrill as on a ski.

For me at 62 air is not the best thing. I just never found boarding to be as fun as a good ski. We ski at 36mph at 35 off and find it very exhilarating. I would love to have a course but government is not friendly to this in our state. We did have one years ago but just so so difficult to get permits from our DNR and it came to an end. For the skiing we do you need calm water so skiing is a early morning sport. We use to get good runs in late in the evening but not so much any more the lake just does not slow down late any more.

Much of the skiing is being done on privet lakes. I know of three in my are. Two have been put in in the last 6 years. If you have never skied a course it will humble you.

I dont see skiing ever dieing off, but the boat industry is more geared towards the wake and surf industry side now. I know the last few years going to the spring boat shows it is really hard to even find a true ski boat, ie the response txi, mastercraft 197 ect. at the shows, all wake boats. As far as being easier on your body, depends on whay level u take it, I know trying to ski a course at 34mph is working all parts of the body, with major tourqe on it! Great cardio and muscle work out!

I'm not saying skiing doesn't "work" your body, there's nothing like it from that perspective But a major ski injury is very rare. Compare that to wakeboarding where if you're pushing it at all, the physical wear on your body isn't close. How many double knee braces do you see slallom skiers wearing?

You guys who say surfing is boring you need to get behind a great boat on a great wave. It's a blast.

Struggling to stay on the wave ropeless on a shin/knee high wave certainly would get old. It's not till you are between waist and chest high over 11mph that it

For me at 62 air is not the best thing. I just never found boarding to be as fun as a good ski. We ski at 36mph at 35 off and find it very exhilarating. I would love to have a course but government is not friendly to this in our state. We did have one years ago but just so so difficult to get permits from our DNR and it came to an end. For the skiing we do you need calm water so skiing is a early morning sport. We use to get good runs in late in the evening but not so much any more the lake just does not slow down late any more.

Much of the skiing is being done on privet lakes. I know of three in my are. Two have been put in in the last 6 years. If you have never skied a course it will humble you.

I have to agree with you sixball, me at 58, I love the challange of a great ski on glass flat water, nothing like it and good work out. Not to mention we also enjoy that glass for out first in AM Barefoot run. I ski at 32mph with 15 off, I'll have to give it a try with 35 off at 36mph, does

sound exhilarating! wounder if an old guy like me can handle it. lol.

Edited by Dare2goBare

You guys who say surfing is boring you need to get behind a great boat on a great wave. It's a blast.

Struggling to stay on the wave ropeless on a shin/knee high wave certainly does get old. Between waist and chest high over 11mph is where the fun is at, 15-20ft long rideable pocket.

Also much more social atmosphere at 11mph vs 33mph. Not a whole lot of interaction in the boat at 33, and none almost with the skier. 180 opposite with surfing. The 2 cranky old guys protecting their butter in a ski boat at 5am doesn't appeal to a lot of younger folks.... Whereas Friday 4-9pm sac'd out and loaded up with friends and family teasing each other at how bad they are with music and drinks does.

Edited by nyryan2001

Nothing more humbling than the course.....

• Like 2

Snow skiing started a comeback over snowboarding with the development of shape skies and the option of diving into a half pipe on skies. It was cool for youngters. The differance with waterskiing and wakeboarding is one gets air and one does not. for alot of younger kids big air is king.

Edited by windy1

If my lake had a course I would ski a LOT. But it doesn't, so back and forth open skiing around imaginary buoys just gets old after a while. So like when you are sking, the buoy is your target and without a target it loses something to me.

Barefooting is just a freaking blast, but part of that is learning as I go (I'm not very good).

You summed up my thoughts right there!

You just captured exactly my thoughts

Get out with a bunch of foil riders & you will have a bunch of ex-skiers, ex-wakeboarders & a surfer in the boat. Seems like all foil riders used to do something else before they got into riding the foil.

I know a few people that have gotten bored with wakeboarding...they aren't good enough to do inverts or spins, and when they try they get hurt. They have picked up a ski and enjoyed it. I am one of those people too (now I can say I suck at both). But I think most of them are transitioning to surfing.

I've successfully converted 6 people in the last four years from wakeboarding to skiing. I think I owe most of my luck to the small boat wake making skiing more enjoyable.

I feel the more educated everyone is at all the different sports, the more they will appreciate the water :D.

I think if you look at skiing worldwide it's as popular as it ever was if not more. Ball of Spray just hit 5 million page views this year up from 3 million last year. I screw around a little on the wakeboard but the thrill of making a good turn and the acceleration across the wakes is second to none for me. One of my happiest days was when my son said " I think I just want to ski today". The look on his face when he first hooked a good turn was priceless.

Not sure but Chris Parrish was out riding a wakeboard with us this past weekend. He loved it & I think hes hooked lol

Huelsmma- where do you board at? Tampa Bay or do you trailer to fresh water?

http://www.cableskicairns.com.au/

When I visited Cairns Australia last year, I went and did CABLE SKIIng; see link above.

They had a hundred wake/knee boards to use and just ONE pair of water skis, with the back foot boot ripped of the salom ski. Unbelievable to me at the time....I fell twice on "take off" but ended up doing it after I figured everything out (with no real help from the staff) and it was a blast. I also did wake board and kee boarding, which was a heck of a lot easier and was quite fun as well.

My point is, that the reason there were no water skis there, even though that's the name of the place!!, is no one going there (younger crowd for sure) wants to use them. Which speaks ages to me. In fact, while I was there all day, it was only me and another old fart who skied. There is just so much more you can do easily do on a wake board (not me though), jumps and ramps etc.

The kids don't seem to be interested in just doing "simple" zig zags around cones....just not cool enough perhaps.

As a skier, I'm probably biased. That said, it seems that skiing still has a very strong following. Around here, you don't seem to find too many direct drives for sale and when there is one, it sells fast. I sold my 2005 Rlxi last spring through my local dealer in a week. At our cove down on Norris Lake, there are quite a few direct drives and many people still slalom ski.