Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New points and coil for an old Skier....

CliffB

Please excuse the Noob questions of mine....I'm new to Chevy stuff so I'm learning.

I have an '89 Skier with the 5.7L (260hp) Mercruiser enginer. The distributor is marked with "SAE J1171" The coil doesn't really have any markings on it (that I can see) other than "needs external ballast"

The distributor has regular old points in it. I'd like to a) remove the mechanical points and install the pertronix electronic points, and b) add a better coil (pertronix flamethrower?). Can someone tell me what pertronix points kit I need? And also, what flamethrower coil is the right one for my engine?

Thank you in advance.

Call Pertronix with your dist #...they'll set you up...too many different combinations, when I installed my kit (10 years ago). Pertronix is very helpful and know exactly what/which one you'll need for both the points and coil.

Please excuse the Noob questions of mine....I'm new to Chevy stuff so I'm learning.

I have an '89 Skier with the 5.7L (260hp) Mercruiser enginer. The distributor is marked with "SAE J1171" The coil doesn't really have any markings on it (that I can see) other than "needs external ballast"

The distributor has regular old points in it. I'd like to a) remove the mechanical points and install the pertronix electronic points, and b) add a better coil (pertronix flamethrower?). Can someone tell me what pertronix points kit I need? And also, what flamethrower coil is the right one for my engine?

Thank you in advance.

FWIW, you might think about simply replacing the distributer with, for example ,a Marine Mallory for your engine. I only say that because I had two of the conversion kit "chips" fail and the troubleshooting was hard for me, not worth the extra cost I should have fronted out for the new distro, which looked cool and was easy to add an epoxy filled maine coil to.

Call Pertronix with your dist #...they'll set you up...too many different combinations, when I installed my kit (10 years ago). Pertronix is very helpful and know exactly what/which one you'll need for both the points and coil.

This proves there is always another thought on the matter. 10 years--awesome!

Pertronix is awesome stuff. Will last forever if you run their coil. I only ever burned up one unit cause I hooked it to a hi perf. Coil. My 9 yr old could install it with the directions provided.

I didn't replace my coil when I converted the points. No problems. My friend however replaced his with a pertronix coil and he's gone through 3 of them. We had to install his old coil this summer to get the boat to start.

If it were me I wouldn't change the coil unless you have too or at least wait until you run it with the new pertronix point converter.

• Like 1

I didn't replace my coil when I converted the points. No problems. My friend however replaced his with a pertronix coil and he's gone through 3 of them. We had to install his old coil this summer to get the boat to start.

If it were me I wouldn't change the coil unless you have too or at least wait until you run it with the new pertronix point converter.

used the points kits, but I used my own coil....but that was 10 years ago when I installed it on my skier.

If you run your stock coil you won't have a problem like mentioned above. All I was getting at is DO NOT run another aftermarket coil. I believe it even says this in the instructions. I never had a problem with the pertronix coil but then again it was used on automotive applications not marine.

Also make sure you run the stock ballast resistor that drops the primary voltage to around 9 volts.

Edited by Ruffdog

I ran a Pertronix kit in the last boat as well as this one. They work well. The best part is, you can put all the parts you pull out in a ziplock bag and stash it in the glove box. If the Pertronix unit ever fails slap the points back in. It takes about 2 minutes to swap back and forth.

I ran a Pertronix kit in the last boat as well as this one. They work well. The best part is, you can put all the parts you pull out in a ziplock bag and stash it in the glove box. If the Pertronix unit ever fails slap the points back in. It takes about 2 minutes to swap back and forth.

I love your approach dude! :notworthy: Of course, in between sets you would quickly check the valve lash and run a timing light first, just to rule all that out. :Tease3:

Thanks fellas. Much appreciated. I have the Pertronix II on order, along with a new epoxy-filled (marine) flamethrower coil. $120 bucks on ebay.

I ordered the Pertronix II because I read online about the Pertronix I potentially burning out if the ignition key is left on for a while. Of course, anything you read online is exactly factually and technically accurate 100% of the time..... Any problem with using the Pertonix II instead of the I?