Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Introduction/Looking for advice

triumph_013

Hey guys. I've been lurking this forum for a while, but this would be my first post. I'm a mechanical engineering student finishing up some sophomore level classes, and will be talking to some people that work in the Malibu factory close to my hometown in hopes of landing an internship one summer. It is actually my dream job, so cross your fingers! My stepdad has/had a 2010 Wakesetter VLX, but may have recently traded it in for a 2013 model with the surf gates since he has given up on wakeboarding and is heavy into surfing. He's being very secretive about it, so I don't know if he actually did it or not. If you are ever out on the Tellico Lake in the Ballplay or Rasar Landing area, or frequent the River Rock Grill on weekends, you may have seen our current boat:

2012-07-02_17-44-18_449.jpg

Anyways, I'm also needing some advice. I'm having trouble getting wake to wake. I don't know if I'm not edging properly and not getting enough speed, or what. Someone else said the boat speed may not be enough (typically ride somewhere between 18-20). I can typically make it about 80% of the way, and it doesn't feel like I'm going very high. I know this is a very vague question and it would be near impossible for you to tell me what I'm doing wrong since you have never seen me ride, so I guess I'm just looking for some tips from you guys to help me clear the wakes. What are your typical settings for a somewhat beginner learning wake to wake? We usually have four to five people in the boat, two full coolers in the back, wedge down, and a little water in the front tank.

A wise man once told me edge harder. You don't want to yank into the wake but you want to set your hardest edge at the top of the wake and stand tall. Without seeing you ride it's a little hard to say but wait for the top of the wake, it's a little scary starting out. Good luck.

Ya, you don't necessarily need to edge far out to begin with, but edge SLOW into the wake, turning your board almost perpindicular to the wake, you will get great speed. Stand up once you hit the wake, you will FLY. That worked for us even on a DD Sunsetter before we got our 08. Also, Detention 2012 is a good video.

All the above, plus shorten your rope to 60 or even 55 feet to practice W2W with. Once you feel the right pop off the wake, and get better, you can start lengthening the line. I still board at 65'.

Also, do you have a good non-stretch line? That will make a big difference in your edging.

All the above, plus shorten your rope to 60 or even 55 feet to practice W2W with. Once you feel the right pop off the wake, and get better, you can start lengthening the line. I still board at 65'.

Also, do you have a good non-stretch line? That will make a big difference in your edging.

I'm using an Accurate A-Line, shortened to 5' shorter than the shortest setting (made our own section haha). I think that may be around 60'.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've watched almost every 'how-to' video on youtube and I feel like I'm doing everything right, edging all the way through, extending my legs, etc. It would help if I had someone out with us that actually knew what they were doing. Kinda sucks that we have this nice boat, and I haven't had anyone behind it that can actually do anything lol.

Should be lots of great riders in TN. You could always ask your local wakeboard shop. They probably know riders that would love to shred behind your boat and give some pointers. I've always been impressed with the quality of people I've met through wakeboard channels, friendly, respectful and everyone remembers what it's like just starting out and are happy to offer pointers.

You'd be surprised how close you can be to the wake, edge in, and land in the trough of the other wake.

Work on your progressive edge meaning that you want to have your strongest edge at the peak of the wake. Imagine that you are playing tug of war with boat and when you get to the top of the wake it should also be point at which you are trying the hardest to slow the boat down. You're first couple times, you will be thrown of axis....that is pop!.

When you come off the wake, stand tall and pull that rope with both hands to your lead hip.

As you edge out and cut in gaining speed.....stiff slightly bent knees as you approach and jump the wake....

if you "shock absorb" with your kness when you hit that first wake you wont jump much at all. And dont puss out on the way in, come in fast, stiff legs all thr way thru. rope handle kept low, down by your waist.

Riding with people better than you is the best way to get better. Go to some local tournaments in the summertime. I moved to washington not knowing anybody after graduating college and quickly networked with locals that way.

Also since you are still in college, check out if they have a waterski/wakeboard club. I was a freshman when i joined my schools. I didnt know what a slalom course or a fat sac was and "malibu" was nothing more than a city in cali to me. Best decision I ever made.

Welcome and many good ideas above the best is shorter rope 55'. You will make the jump and then you will be ready to take it on out. Good luck.

You're less than an hour from me once things get a bit warmer and water gets back in the lake hit me up we can get you straitened out in a day.

Edited by jb 156

You're less than an hour from me once things get a bit warmer and water gets back in the lake hit me up we can get you straitened out in a day.

Thanks man. I might have to hit you up on that.

And thanks again for all of the replies guys. Can't wait til next season so I can actually apply these tips

I weigh 180 lbs and I'm using the board pictured in my avatar, a Ronix Viva 140 with Byerly Boa boots. I need new boots though, these are worn out pretty bad. I've been wanting to get a Slingshot Shreadtown board. I really want to build a winch and start hitting rails and stuff, but I should learn how to clear the wakes before I start learning other stuff haha

:werule::thumbup:

I weigh 180 lbs and I'm using the board pictured in my avatar, a Ronix Viva 140 with Byerly Boa boots. I need new boots though, these are worn out pretty bad. I've been wanting to get a Slingshot Shreadtown board. I really want to build a winch and start hitting rails and stuff, but I should learn how to clear the wakes before I start learning other stuff haha

get new boots sooner than later. I broke my foot riding in my old busted stretched out bindings while hitting rails. I used to save my good newer boots for boat riding only. anyway, probably wouldn't of broken my foot had I been wearing my newer boots that were more supportive. never again will I ride in boots that are loose/worn out.

The main problem with these is they won't stay as tight as they used to. The cords are worn out. I thought it was the cord locks, hyperlite sent me some of those for free, but they didn't do any better. Going to contact hyperlite again to see if they can send me new cords. New boots would be great, but I would rather wait until I get a new board. This one is the "community" board, I'd like to get my own soon.

W2W - sounds like your issue may be a bit of a mental one - edge out as far as you can - on your way back in - hold your edge progressively and stand tall, don't flatten out at the wake - keep the handle close to your body - I have a tough time clearing the wake at 18mph - so speed may be a bit of an issue - I run about 22 and clear the wakes both HS and TS - don't forget to absorb the landing by bending your knees - you'll rack your back if you don't... lastly - stay in school and get good grades.... good luck

What helped me was being told to edge all the way through the wake... Don't release the edge until you are in the air. Before I would inadvertently release all the line tension by flattening out to stand tall.