Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Amp to power Wet Sounds Pro 80's

alxmlr789

I used to deal with car audio ALL the time, but my knowlege has faded and I can't even remember the good brands out there anymore.

I just bought a set of pro 80's and I'm looking for an amp to power them. I'm on a little bit of a budget right now, so I'm not looking to spend and arm and a leg. (I know the arc and WS amps are great, but I can't spend that kind of dough right now).

What is a good amp to power these things?

Polk Audio D4000.4. Bridged to two channel will give you 400 watts RMS per channel @ 4 ohm. That will get it done very nicely and can be had for $250 or less. These are a great series of amps (don't take my word, do your research on them). There are several other brands making this series of amp but the Polks are the ones you can usually find in-stock. Marine rated too.

Polk Audio D4000.4. Bridged to two channel will give you 400 watts RMS per channel @ 4 ohm. That will get it done very nicely and can be had for $250 or less. These are a great series of amps (don't take my word, do your research on them). There are several other brands making this series of amp but the Polks are the ones you can usually find in-stock. Marine rated too.

Thanks guys, is 400w too much to push to these speakers?

It is not too much if you have them properly tuned.

Have you thought about reaching out to one of the supporting dealers on the website. There are good deals to be had and you might be able to get into a WetSounds HT amp for less than you think!

Polk definitely makes good stuff.

Personally, I like Blaupunkt (I like German engineering....). I recently bought a brand new 4 channel 600W Blaupunkt amp on amazon for $139 bucks. I use two of these in my 8 speaker system. Holy moly, makes BIG sound.

Edited by CliffB

Personally, I like Blaupunkt (I like German engineering....). I recently bought a brand new 4 channel 600W Blaupunkt amp on amazon for $139 bucks. I use two of these in my 8 speaker system. Holy moly, makes BIG sound.

You never answered the question about this mysterious 600W amp in your last thread talking about Blaupunkt. The highest output amp they sell is the GTA 470 SF, which only puts out 100x4 RMS @ 2ohm. That honestly isn't a lot of power for a 4-channel amp at that ohm load. Bridged it is only good for 2x200 watts RMS @ 4ohm.

How's that fer ya. 640W peak, 320W RMS. These are $125 bucks on Amazon currently (free shipping!).

Two of these in my boat powering the 8 6.5's, with sub separately amp'd with its own dedicated sub-amp. 10 disc changer. Old Skool baby. No I-dork interface, or anything like that.

Any way you add it up that's honestly a s-load of wattage for a little ski boat.

post-19592-0-70554300-1355424608_thumb.j

Edited by CliffB

How's that fer ya. 640W peak, 320W RMS. These are $125 bucks on Amazon currently (free shipping!).

Two of these in my boat powering the 8 6.5's, with sub separately amp'd with its own dedicated sub-amp. 10 disc changer. Old Skool baby. No I-dork interface, or anything like that.

Any way you add it up that's honestly a s-load of wattage for a little ski boat.

Peak wattage means nothing - that amp's listed RMS power a 55x4 @ 4ohm, 80x4 @ 2ohm or 165x2 @ 4ohm making it a 330 watt amp at best. I'd honestly like to see some real-world bench testing of this stuff as most of the low-end audio makers over rate their stuff. I'm glad you are happy with it; I'll be honest and say its not a brand I would consider for my audio needs.

I heard these are Chinese made with a German name? Just thought you might want to look into that??

Edited by Truekaotik

ARC audio all the way, their high end line is far superior to wetsounds and the mid line is the on par with

They both offer 3 lines of amps, can you clarify which one you are referring to? Makes it easier to do an actual apples to apples comparison.

Edited by MLA

Peak wattage means nothing - that amp's listed RMS power a 55x4 @ 4ohm, 80x4 @ 2ohm or 165x2 @ 4ohm making it a 330 watt amp at best. I'd honestly like to see some real-world bench testing of this stuff as most of the low-end audio makers over rate their stuff. I'm glad you are happy with it; I'll be honest and say its not a brand I would consider for my audio needs.

Thanks. Great to have your opinion.

Edited by CliffB

I heard these are Chinese made with a German name? Just thought you might want to look into that??

Yup, most everything is made in China now if you look at the origination sticker....

I like German engineering, which of course is different than manufacturing. Blaupunkt stuff is designed in Germany, and actually manufactured in Malaysia.

Edited by CliffB

Thanks. Great to have your opinion.

I just thought about it a bit more; instead of two of your EMA 455's you could have ran a single D4000.4 for the same money - with the benefit of more power per speaker, less power consumption, and a footprint smaller than just one of those amps. Or the NVX version for even less money @ $239 shipped:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40254_NVX-JAD800.4.html

Or the PPI version is back in stock (they go out of stock often due to the price) for $190:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38338_Precision-Power-PPI-P900.4.html

I just thought about it a bit more; instead of two of your EMA 455's you could have ran a single D4000.4 for the same money - with the benefit of more power per speaker, less power consumption, and a footprint smaller than just one of those amps. Or the NVX version for even less money @ $239 shipped:

http://www.sonicelec...X-JAD800.4.html

Or the PPI version is back in stock (they go out of stock often due to the price) for $190:

http://www.sonicelec...PPI-P900.4.html

Thanks! Good stuff for sure. Looks like a lot of bang for the buck with top quality too. I'm always messing around with the system so I'll think about making a switch at some point perhaps. Thanks for the info.