Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw water intake tube fell off, engine started smoking/overheating, need some advice.

I couldn't ask for a better group of dudes than you guys. i was not expecting this many knowlegable responses. I'm going to take the boat for a spin this afternoon. I spoke with my local (former malibu tech), keith at southeast marine this afternoon. He said he'd do a compression test for me if I wanted to put my mind at ease.

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the information.

• Like 1

There's no harm in running these boats WOT, therefor why would the OP need to learn a lesson on that? If anything, the lesson to be learned here is to double and triple check your work. (tightening hoses) :biggrin:

Aint that the truth! When I was in college our team had a response. She was my first love and because we would practice so late in the season I would pull all those hoses and drain all the water out of the engine nightly. Go figure when I get my first bu I make my first mistake the very first time. I am so paranoid now I paid someone to winterize her for me haha.

Other lesson learned "Break Out Another Thousand" seems to be off by a pretty large factor :cry:

• Like 1

Aint that the truth! When I was in college our team had a response. She was my first love and because we would practice so late in the season I would pull all those hoses and drain all the water out of the engine nightly. Go figure when I get my first bu I make my first mistake the very first time. I am so paranoid now I paid someone to winterize her for me haha.

Other lesson learned "Break Out Another Thousand" seems to be off by a pretty large factor :cry:

How do you drain the water out of the motor?

Just a little update today guys, I called Paul at bakes and he just gave me a rundown of what i should look for, pretty much everything you guys said to check. Exhaust was fine, no leaks, no holes and there was no indication of any burning when i took the exhaust hoses off. Oil looked just a little bit worn (im due for an oil change). No Chocolate milk look, tranny fluid looked normal. I will probably do a change on that as well. Ran it up to 33 mph. Temperature never went above 160, ran it for about 20 minutes. The boat ran very well, no odd sounds and no leaks as far as I can see. I will monitor it very closely over the next couple of weeks.

One question i wanted to ask was what is a normal operating oil pressure on this motor?

• Like 1

Oil pressure depends on your Rpms. Mine ranges from 20-50.

Also, a temp spike up to 200degs on these engines is nothing. If you boat on a hot climate, like TX, Ok, AZ etc... Your engines temp will spike to 190s or higher when you do a hard run and cut the engine off.

FWIW, GM street engines have thermostats SET at 210.

I don't barefoot or care to, but barefooters have a great reason to run at or right near WOT.

Definitely check the exhaust hoses coming off the manifold risers. I had a similar overheat after impeller failure and it melted inside rubber on one of mine.

Thanks man, I checked them both yesterday and all looked normal. I will keep an eye on them for a while.

Oil pressure depends on your Rpms. Mine ranges from 20-50.

Also, a temp spike up to 200degs on these engines is nothing. If you boat on a hot climate, like TX, Ok, AZ etc... Your engines temp will spike to 190s or higher when you do a hard run and cut the engine off.

FWIW, GM street engines have thermostats SET at 210.

I don't barefoot or care to, but barefooters have a great reason to run at or right near WOT.

that's true on temp but the problem is without water flowing the temp is not accurate. Friend of mine cooked his engine and the temp never read above normal because it can't read air. That said, if its running well, no reason to do anything else at this point. I woudl change your tranny fluid tho. My barefoot nautique overheated and the tranny fluid was definitely cooked...literally.

85 barefoot- I'm changing the oil and tranny fluid this weekend. The tranny fluid change seems very simple...is it really as simple as it seems?

A turkey baster works well for this...