Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

getting rid of head unit

bvdhvy

Irony.

Yes, that's me. Dave banned me for this thread when I fired back at you (I appologize and hope you didn't take it personal) and Earmark. He also said he banned me for "advertising" because later on that evening I posted a craigslist add by Bravox Audio. Bravox was/is shutting down their US location, and were selling their M6-ID, WS-65 equivalent, for $32 a pair. I discovered the sale when I did a "site:craigslist.org bravox" Google query, and figured I'd share my discovery with the community.

I was a bit disheartened by it, considering I was a member for so many years, and contributed (came up with the DIY sectionidea, donated money for Colby, had a huge wakeworld sticker on my truck for years, made a lot of friends in the non-wake section, etc), but I do understand where he was coming from and I'm sure some advertisers weren't too happy about their products being correlated to another. I left quietly, and didn't attempt to come back under another username.

I only joined this board while doing a google search (for PPI I think), and ran across a thread that I decided to chime in on. I really didn't intend to post here more than that one time, but...

No - I did not take it personally nor did I know that those were the reasons that you have been kicked off the site...just knew I did not see you anymore.

I toned it down quite a bit and you wont see me attacking other brands, mfgr's, dealers...etc anymore. The moderators on this site do a great job keeping it all civil and I like it that way. Pretty different site from WW - IMO.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

"see I am a hillbilly..."

True,

I consider myself an expert on .............

hillbillies because my grandparents (kinfolk) lived deeeep in the southern hills of Ohio. So I just have to wonder if you are really legit.

Do you have a collection of antique ornate wiskey bottles filled with water and various colors of food coloring as decoration on the front window sills?

Do you have at least one red bone coon dog?

Do you live over yonder?

Do you trap minnows in the crick?

How many old cars do you have on cinder blocks in the front yard?

Is your best fridge, best washin machine and best couch on display out on the front porch?

Do you keep your spare in the boot?

David

damn.... Im not even a real legit Hillbilly after those questions :( lol

Oh wait....

I did make some moonshine in the field once,,, that qualify a bit?

Edited by Truekaotik

Gol durn it. How could I have forgotten the moonshine bottle always occupying the glovebox of my grandfather's pickup?

My apologies. You may be legit after all.

"see I am a hillbilly..."

True,

I consider myself an expert on .............

hillbillies because my grandparents (kinfolk) lived deeeep in the southern hills of Ohio. So I just have to wonder if you are really legit.

David

I thought True-K is from Ohio to, yall might be kin :rofl:

Bro, I admit I deserved the sarcasm on the tune, I know you from wake world and have no doubt you can ear tune a system.... I never mentioned gains or crossovers in my post and was just worried for you on the EQ knob turning thing... I do not use my fixed output on my head unit because I want to be able to use my transom remote while swimming, nothing beats that aspect... thats why i asked about your volume control on the head unit...

ergonomics... i can turn my knobs at ease, love having a true separation between the tower and inboats not a fade, there is a difference between the two... ergonomics again, I also like the fact my sub turns down with the inboats as posted above.. who want the sub blaring in there face with no in boats? not this guy.... i guess fat fingered people would have a issue with the knobs? or someone with arthritis? I dont know but if ergonomics means more to you than the other things i posted that are facts and makes the 420 better, your rightful decision. Do you know the audio control EQ is way better than the ZLD? thought id throw that out there... I agree the price is better now that its $100, thats the price range it should be at IMO, but they are all refurbs if you read the discription for that price.. must of had some problems with them im guessing...

... The hiss isnt as bad as you guys say it is on the 420, you must of had a first gen in 08-09?? I swear to you it isnt even close to as bad as everyone says on here at all. because if it was, id want my money back, and thats not the case.... AGAIN, I dont hear the hiss except with the volume at zero.. I NEVER have my volume at zero at anytime....

I run my ipod/iphone thru the clarion head unit for full functionality and the best sound thru the bottom ;) then tuck it away from harm and water damage... I paid a pretty penny for my iphone and ipods. I have to take care of them... the 3.5 ontop isnt the best sound on those...

the mic is the kids best feature, they love that thing when i let them use it... they sing to songs, it silly to watch... also very handy to yell at idots or jetskiers following you...

basically if you want a car audio EQ, go get a ZLD or audio control, you want true tower separation including the EQ and a mic, go 420 :) all the technical jargon you guys arent hearing so im done with that explination phase. maybe just read up on the products a bit better in the future perhaps?

Dont take this post wrong Shawn, we have had some fun bantered post on WW, we are cool, just disagree on this one :)

you know you can run an ipod or iphone from the dock connector without a deck right to an eq right? Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS75-PolyWire-Universal-Interface/dp/B001TH8O7E

which is where source-level matching becomes a problem.

You don't have problems when you are adjusting your cabins and towers with the inner and outer rings sticking to one another? That was the part of the 420 that frustrated me the most. I'd go to turn up just the towers and it'd drag along the cabin volume too. Again maybe I'm hamfisted, but I always felt like I needed one set of tweezers to hold the outer ring still and another set to adjust the inner. Cool idea, poor execution. I was never very good at Operation either, so maybe it's a personal problem.

Revs sound good enough, and with 4 on the tower are certainly loud enough, that while cruising down the lake I don't need the cabin speakers on at all. But a little sub to fill in the bottom? Yeah, that'd be nice.

When's summer?

you know you can run an ipod or iphone from the dock connector without a deck right to an eq right? Something like this: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001TH8O7E

which is where source-level matching becomes a problem.

You don't have problems when you are adjusting your cabins and towers with the inner and outer rings sticking to one another? That was the part of the 420 that frustrated me the most. I'd go to turn up just the towers and it'd drag along the cabin volume too. Again maybe I'm hamfisted, but I always felt like I needed one set of tweezers to hold the outer ring still and another set to adjust the inner. Cool idea, poor execution. I was never very good at Operation either, so maybe it's a personal problem.

Revs sound good enough, and with 4 on the tower are certainly loud enough, that while cruising down the lake I don't need the cabin speakers on at all. But a little sub to fill in the bottom? Yeah, that'd be nice.

When's summer?

thru the head unit I have full control of the iPhone, it displays the songs and tracks on the transom remote :thumbup: I never see my phone after i plug it in for the day... So i would never use that but, on any 3.5 jack in, you'll notice your volume makes a difference on the phone as far as input level....

ya know, the first day when I installed it, they kinda did that once, but on the water it has never happened.. but I dont mess with it that much because I dont use it for volume control.... Im just lucky I guess....

that would be loud for sure......

Wow when I started this thread I had no idea that equalizers made the crew so emotional. However thank you to those that answered my questions. FYI I respect the opinions of all and think they are entitled to them!

Sorry, no, I do not do any online sales and will not say who I work for on any forum I don't carry these products.... If you happen to be in my town and walk in my shop, more power to you but I am not on these forums for business, it is strictly pleasure of owning a boat and my opinions to help others out with my take on info... :) sorry again, I just like to talk on these forums... :(

Makes sense now. Thanks for the clarrification.

Wait, your insinuating that because I like Wetsounds 420EQ, that I live in Texas?? That's the silliest thing I've heard in awhile... Lol. Do you live in Oregon or any surrounding States then??? I'm betting so from the question ;) lol. It's friggin cold here and my boats stored in my state :)

Sorry, but dont you think that was a uncalled for question to ask me, considering I'm the one being attacked from a simple question... Even after I stepped up to your challenges and explained it over and over, because i was asked like 10 times to get "technical"?? it went in one ear and out the other? Or maybe you guys had ear plugs in? I don't know... Only thing I got from any of you was "ergonomics" and a first gen "hiss" on the opposing ... nothing with substantial weight to back up your claims the 420 sucks. I would really still like to hear why the ZLD is so much better beside the ergo and burr browns name, do any of you know what makes the ZLD so superior??.. If you want me to learn then give me some hard data and facts.. Anyone??

Back to the topic

First off CRF. You post like you think your an audiophile giving your opinion on sq and how I'm misinformed but can't give technical details?

If you'd prefer to think of me as an audiophile that's cool with me. I have pro audio mids and horn tweeters for my inboat speakers....far from an SQ setup. A true audiophile could care less about SQ on a boat, just like Jimmy Johnson could care less about winning the Daytona 500 on a go-kart...your destined to fail.

I didn't call you out, you called me out, so I would think you have supported technical facts to tell me why and how they are similar?

The sole reason I commented is because you made some fictitious statements and I didn't want other readers to be misinformed. How technical can one be about the same? They use the same PCB, labeling and input/output interface type, position, and qty are the differences. Think about Halloween, when you see a person dressed up in werewolf costume do you call the police and let them know there's a werewolf on the loose? Think of electronics the same way, they can dress up however they like.

Amps are produced in the same factory as well, so your saying a JL topology is the same as a Audiopipe?? No.. . So ill bite to see if you know what your talking about...

I didn't say or insinuate that. There's more than one overseas buildhouse. It's not like I'm telling you every single piece of car audio electronics comes from the same place. I know JL is one of the few aftermarket audio companies that have their own engineers designing their products, and are exclusive to themselves. I don't know what buildhouse Audiopipe buys their amps from.

Now to stay a little tame so you can understand better and it don't go over your heads, here we go... Those aren't the exact same EQs, the first batch you showed barely looked the same for one, so that tells me immediately your Pulling my chain...

Think back on my werewolf analogy.

the closest one is the krypt knock off picture, yes just that a pic.. it never made production and the old knock off cant be sold from the word on the streets. check other forums, CCC to be exact... the word on the street is Ken sent a 420 to china to reverse engineer it and copy ( not my words) Funny someone would go to that extent if they are all "on the same platform"?? The other two aren't even close besides again the chassis, like the others you posted before.. Atleast you found a closer match with the Krypt bro ;)...

Yes that happened. Ken was able to secure one of these highly advanced electronic devices and sent it to the Chinese to reverse engineer...damn PRC. I heard the reverse engineering of the F-22 was put on hold while they were figuring out the schematics of the ws-420.

Another scenario is that Ken filled out an order form with the buildhouse, but I'm pretty sure that's just crazy talk.

The 420 is two EQs in one chassis, has a built in mic and link system and your telling me those are the exact same EQs as the 420? Who's full of themselves now? Now I've said that, can you tell me why the mic inside is complex? If not, I can later ;) I'll wait until you go post on DIYMA and get back to me ;) I can get way more technical on both EQs....

Give me your microphone and let me plug it in to the 3.5mm MP3 input of my Cadence eq, watch me adjust the knob labeled MIC, I mean MP3 volume. Go plug an MP3 player into the mic input of your WS-420 while it's playing music, and press play.... see what happens.

The truth is bro, things aren't always as they seem. You have a great EQ and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Wow. I just found this thread and wasted some good time reading it all.

I have a 420, and have owned 3 of them. I am plenty happy.

The hiss problem is not from the mic volume, end of story. One of the threads Shawndoggy posted was my solution to the hiss problem.

I have found that having a HU with more than 2V outputs makes a huge difference for the 420. So I got a HU with more output...and then set my gains for the HU. But as Shawndoggy pointed out, when I plug my Ipod into the 420 via the AUX plug, the amps were set too low. My solution was to get a HU with an AUX input, so the signal gets boosted before it hits the 420. That works nicely for me.

I like having a mic. Is someone saying that I can just throw a mic into the MP3 input and talk into it? I don't think so, but please explain, because I think the mic would have to have a power source of some sort to send my voice signal down to the EQ.

I don't think the whole forum is onboard with the ZLD, but truekaotik came across brash, and brought out the 420 haters at a susceptible time without boating to relieve their stress.

I do wish the knobs were more user friendly on the 420. I don't have a serious problem with them, but once in a while....

Back to the topic

If you'd prefer to think of me as an audiophile that's cool with me. I have pro audio mids and horn tweeters for my inboat speakers....far from an SQ setup. A true audiophile could care less about SQ on a boat, just like Jimmy Johnson could care less about winning the Daytona 500 on a go-kart...your destined to fail.

Bendow,

No I do not think that, sorry.. Im glad you know so much about something you claim not to be... I want the best sound in my boat, but thanks for your opinion bro.... I really think you should listen to your own analogies... I guess the DIYMA comment i made, didnt sink in. Nice clean up on the site though, but I found the one I needed for this post farther down :rofl: i snt this attacking what got you banned on WW?

The sole reason I commented is because you made some fictitious statements and I didn't want other readers to be misinformed. How technical can one be about the same? They use the same PCB, labeling and input/output interface type, position, and qty are the differences. Think about Halloween, when you see a person dressed up in werewolf costume do you call the police and let them know there's a werewolf on the loose? Think of electronics the same way, they can dress up however they like.

I have made no fictitious statements, and you have yet to back up your claim CRF? maybe you should look into your false claims they are the same? again bro, show me a EQ besides the knock off, with dual built in EQs, dual zones, integrated mic system with a aux input and link system? again it was engineered by WS.... those EQ are not the same buddy. :( im sorry to disappoint you.... Yet another tired analogy degrading me, im glad this makes you feel better to talk down to someone trying to help explain the differences...

I didn't say or insinuate that. There's more than one overseas buildhouse. It's not like I'm telling you every single piece of car audio electronics comes from the same place. I know JL is one of the few aftermarket audio companies that have their own engineers designing their products, and are exclusive to themselves. I don't know what buildhouse Audiopipe buys their amps from.

You most definitely did, but lets focus on this comment. So, JL has its own engineer but WS cannot have one? this is what your telling me in this comment... You seem to be regurgitating what you find on the net, you can tell me for a fact you know that all those EQs in question you posted come from the same "build-house", but, dont know what "build-house" a Audiopipe amp comes from? good to know....

Think back on my werewolf analogy.

Thats all i get? Im disappointed :( .... Your a really good chain puller I might add here...

Yes that happened. Ken was able to secure one of these highly advanced electronic devices and sent it to the Chinese to reverse engineer...damn PRC. I heard the reverse engineering of the F-22 was put on hold while they were figuring out the schematics of the ws-420.

Another scenario is that Ken filled out an order form with the buildhouse, but I'm pretty sure that's just crazy talk.

notice the repetitive analogies? Are we running out of factual stuff to say? Funny thing about this comment, WS is still selling there 420 and revised it atleast 4 times since its inception, why cant Ken get his if it as simple as "ordering from the same build-house"? look into that one bro... also tell Ken I said Hi :Doh:

Give me your microphone and let me plug it in to the 3.5mm MP3 input of my Cadence eq, watch me adjust the knob labeled MIC, I mean MP3 volume. Go plug an MP3 player into the mic input of your WS-420 while it's playing music, and press play.... see what happens.

this is my favorite one :) .... Im glade you now know the inner and outter workings of all EQs in as little as 7 months. this post is by you on DIYMA asking how to hook up said EQs....

http://www.diymobile...use-eqs746.html

The truth is bro, things aren't always as they seem. You have a great EQ and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Yes, things arent always as they seem^^, you have most definitly pointed that out to everyone, Thank you and I am very happy with my purchase... I will not argue with you anymore, you showed your knowledge is far superior to mine :Frustrated: have a great holiday!!!!!

Wow. I just found this thread and wasted some good time reading it all.

I have a 420, and have owned 3 of them. I am plenty happy.

The hiss problem is not from the mic volume, end of story. One of the threads Shawndoggy posted was my solution to the hiss problem.

I have found that having a HU with more than 2V outputs makes a huge difference for the 420. So I got a HU with more output...and then set my gains for the HU. But as Shawndoggy pointed out, when I plug my Ipod into the 420 via the AUX plug, the amps were set too low. My solution was to get a HU with an AUX input, so the signal gets boosted before it hits the 420. That works nicely for me.

I like having a mic. Is someone saying that I can just throw a mic into the MP3 input and talk into it? I don't think so, but please explain, because I think the mic would have to have a power source of some sort to send my voice signal down to the EQ.

I don't think the whole forum is onboard with the ZLD, but truekaotik came across brash, and brought out the 420 haters at a susceptible time without boating to relieve their stress.

I do wish the knobs were more user friendly on the 420. I don't have a serious problem with them, but once in a while....

Im sorry guys, i was going for sarcastic not brash :( ... I fixed my issue without a ALD though and run a clarion m309....

True just let it go dude. Please. You have established through hillbilly logic that you are the last word on boat audio. We all get that now. You win.

And brash is a nice word for it. If you are really going for sarcasm... You've got some practicing to do. How about just trying to be helpful?

this is my favorite one :) ... this post is by you on DIYMA asking how to hook up said EQs....

http://www.diymobile...use-eqs746.html

Yes, at the time I wasn't quite sure how to implement the EQ. I didn't want to lose the great features built in to head unit, which turned out to be the case. I also didn't know how to change the x-over setting on the 6XS. There are still things regarding my setup that I'd like to change, but don't know exactly how. If I don't know or understand something I'll ask, as you so proudly pointed out.

Im glade you now know the inner and outter workings of all EQs in as little as 7 months

If it took me 7 months to figure out an EQ I'd be devastated to have a learning disability, but comforted now knowing it'd be so severe I'd likely lack the cognitive ability to realize it.