Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

getting rid of head unit

bvdhvy

After reading some other post I have decided that I don't need my Alpine head unit anymore. I have just ordered an exile ZLD that I will be using instead. Questions are as follows. Thanks to all for help.

What Wire to buy to hook up iPod?

Is there one that will stream Pandora?

Where to run remote wire from ZLD and all amps since my head unit will be gone. (I have 0 extra switches on dash)

Earmark sells an iPod compartment that will go where the head unit is now just wondering if it will fit ok or what others think about it? http://store.earmark...&cat=285&page=1

1) Axxess (Metra) AIP-RCA5V is an apple specific plug on one end and RCA on the other and connects to B+ and GND to charge. This would connect to the LFT and RGT RCA source inputs on the EQ and will charge your Apple MP3.

2) Not sure if Apple will stream Pandora from the data port, so you may need to go with a 3.5mm from the head-phone port to the EQ.

3) a simple switched B+ from a toggle is all that's needed to trigger the EQ and amp's remote turn-on. You may need to install a switch for this if no vacant switches are available. There are a selection of low profile rocker and push button switches that will not stand out. The Install Bay BRRS comes to mind and come with illumination in a variety of colors or non-illumination.

1) Axxess (Metra) AIP-RCA5V is an apple specific plug on one end and RCA on the other and connects to B+ and GND to charge. This would connect to the LFT and RGT RCA source inputs on the EQ and will charge your Apple MP3.

2) Not sure if Apple will stream Pandora from the data port, so you may need to go with a 3.5mm from the head-phone port to the EQ.

3) a simple switched B+ from a toggle is all that's needed to trigger the EQ and amp's remote turn-on. You may need to install a switch for this if no vacant switches are available. There are a selection of low profile rocker and push button switches that will not stand out. The Install Bay BRRS comes to mind and come with illumination in a variety of colors or non-illumination.

What is install bay BRRS?

Can I hook the remote wires to ignition for the switch?

Edited by bvdhvy

Install Bay Round Rocker Switch. Personally, I would want the turn-on on a dedicated switch and not the key switch. It bugs the snot out of me to have the tunes cycle off when you shut the engine down and roll the key to the ACC position.

After reading some other post I have decided that I don't need my Alpine head unit anymore. I have just ordered an exile ZLD that I will be using instead. Questions are as follows. Thanks to all for help.

What Wire to buy to hook up iPod?

Is there one that will stream Pandora?

Where to run remote wire from ZLD and all amps since my head unit will be gone. (I have 0 extra switches on dash)

Earmark sells an iPod compartment that will go where the head unit is now just wondering if it will fit ok or what others think about it? http://store.earmark...&cat=285&page=1

BVD you are going to love the ZLD! Call Brian at Exile he will answer any questions you may have.

First, look at this page: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2812

I only use Pandora, works great...but I still have my head unit...you will do great without one though...

you can use the aux RCA inputs on the back of the ZLD with one of these:

ALOupoccRCA.jpg

or thru the ipod headphone jack with one of these:

DCAGE-1179_1.jpg

Install Bay Round Rocker Switch. Personally, I would want the turn-on on a dedicated switch and not the key switch. It bugs the snot out of me to have the tunes cycle off when you shut the engine down and roll the key to the ACC position.

I like these switches!

Wondering how to wire it?

$T2eC16R,!yME9s5qH!eZBQBKvQHv8Q~~60_35.JPG

Edited by bvdhvy

Man you guy's are good.

Steve B.

edit: The one thing I would miss without a head unit, is the remote control. I only use mine now as an interface for the ipod. I could skip it. What's fun is to use the Sirius receivers's FM modulated output feed the ipod's FM input, then feed the rest of the system.

Can't wait for summer !

Edited by Steve B.

I have that head unit...awesome unit with the best transom remotes made and the remotes are cheap. Why get rid of it? It does iPod control (not Lightning compatible - yet - though I haven't tried it with 30 to 8 pin adapter). My biggest complaint is Alpine makes EVERYTHING an add-on for their head units. Bluetooth - add on. Good EQ - add on. Sirius - of course it is an add-on. Luckily many of the add-on components are pretty cheap online. Where is the advantage of going to a ZLD-only setup?

Why would I be crazy?

Oh it's just a great head unit.. Going ZLD only will take away any remote capability is also why :( I am curious as well why you would choose ZLD over WS420 for a solo piece? For the tiny bit extra you will gain true inboat/tower separation, not just a fade, tower/inboat EQ separation for fine tune, plus a Mic...

My 2 cents for what it is worth. I ditched my head unit a few years ago. Best choice I ever made. I havent missed it or needed it. I started out the a WS-420 nice unit tons of features and the mic was cool at first. I got rid of it for a few reasons. Having the sub tied to the interiors was a pain. There are work arounds for it but I didnt feel the need to have to work around it. the knobs were small to small to manage running down the lake with any kind of chop. The unit also created a low volume hiss that no one was able to cure. Second unit I ran was the clarion. Great unit It solved the sub/ hiss issue and was cheap.ALthough it still had the small knobs. My current unit is a ZLD. Love it. No issues with the sub being tied to any zone (tower/cabin) best of all large knobs! as for the whole remote issue,I got a bluetooth dongel and use the Ipod / phone and there is no issue. I dont want this to be a brand bashing post all three units have there pros and cons. Personaly I will recomend the ZLD for the reasons stated above. All three units will ramp up your voltage witch will be a huge plus for your system. If you can get out and play with each unit. The bluetooth dongels will work with all three units. Becarful with the Ipod cable recomended above. It does NOT work with IOS5. If your on an early apple product its great. hope that helps for the 2 cents it was worth.

x2 on the ZLD, I started with the 420... And now have the ZLD for all the reasons he outlined above. Whatever that german sound processor in the ZLD is called, I think it sounds better... More warm and full... Hard to describe.

Easier to use, I didnt like to have to do the 420 Vulcan grip on the volume knob so both boats and towers don't go crazy.

The ZLD gave me better control of my system, easier for me the way I use my stereo, big knobs.... And Brian at Exile is terrific to deal with.

I love the ZLD.

And for the record, I am not an Exile fanboy, I have Wetsounds, Exile, Re Audio, kicker, Fosgate and NVX in my boat.

Edited by nyryan2001

+3 for ZLD, and I went the same path as LJ (420->clarion->zld). No noise (420 had plenty), easier more logical controls, and better sub eq. Clarion is a close close second, 420 is a distant third.

Becarful with the Ipod cable recomended above. It does NOT work with IOS5. If your on an early apple product its great. hope that helps for the 2 cents it was worth.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!!

Is there wire I can use with the newest software that will charge at the same time since I plan on using my iPhone which is always updated. If not maybe will have to keep my HU.

You can fix the sub issue easily if your turning your inboats all the way down and want the sub banging with just the towers, the hiss is from the mic being up to loud, fixable, just turn it down. The hiss is amplified thru the EQ because of the awesome hard to integrate mic system.. ;) if thats not the case, you may have another underlying issue? the 420 is in a realm of its own, meaning other EQs just don't compare to its complexity and design at this moment. As far as EQs go, it's my opinion, that its far superior to any other EQ to date. Most run on the same platform and the 420 is NOT one of them.. I can see where the smaller knob may be a little more complex in use compared to the Exiles when not running a head unit.. The exile also has 3 zones without the use of a additional piece but still 90's circuitry... They crammed alot of technology into that chasis.. the bluetooth is a good recommendation if your not worried about getting your phone or ipod wet?... most people are running iOS6? from my knowledge this isnt a issue with the cord mentioned. Just my 2 cents... :) maybe others will chime in and be more technical if you'd like.. I'm only posting as a well informed boat owner with the same concerns... . Not bashing any brand, just pointing out benefits...

Yeah I have it. No need to study up on posts I've seen before ;) I'm in no way denying the hiss. Which in fact most don't notice unless pointed out or are audio snobs looking for it.. It's called white noise...mine doesn't have it that noticeable to anybody with mic turned half way or less. I think it's a build up of issues in people's system components... No one has said " hey bro, why do your tower speakers hiss when there's no music with the volume all the way up?" Lol come on?? It's amplifying the power supply to the components because of the complex mic integration.. That's what I came up with on my own... And have seen where atleast one other has mentioned this theory.. Nothing beats the 420, yes burr brown has made the ZLD "sound" a tiny bit warmer but, come on, it doesn't compare to many key features the 420 emulates from its core! You must be bias? That's the only thing I can think? Yes it has smaller knobs. Can you tune your tower/inboats seperately? That is a key feature due to the distance alone... Does the ZLD have true tower/cabin seperation? No, it's a old school fader type... It's positive outweighs its negative... This was copied off of of mastercraft from another member saying what his experience was when calling Exile direct and from months ago...

"Name omitted

03-12-2012, 11:29 PM

In layman's terms think of it like this, it was the way it was explained to me from the guys at exile when I asked for a direct comparison.

The WS420 has the adjustments as mentioned for the equalizers. You really get to fine tune each to a perfect level. So if sound quality is you number one choice the Ws 420 is the way to go.

The Exile is geared more toward a simplified zoned control. You dong really get the sq adjustments the WS 420 can give you but you get a much simpler fade and zone volume level control."

Google exileZLD and its on the mastercraft forum... ;)

Note, I'm not bashing anyone but will stand up for what I encounter and think is the best product on the market per item at the current time... Peace, love, and chain grease everyone :)