Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skins From Chee

Wake My Day

I just wanted to share with everyone how impressed I was with Chee's upholstery work. I had him make me the three rear seats and the three sun pads in my 23 lsv. A little nerve racking to send away $800 dollars, but I went with the recommendations of the Bu crew. They arrived today and they are amazing. Complete copies of what I have on now. For anyone looking to replace skins, Chee's would be my top choice.

• Like 1

Make sure you pull them out of the box ASAP and let them hang or lay flat. You do not wan them to sit for more that a couple days with folds in them - it will create creases that you may not be able to get out for a long time

Ensure you pass along how you actually place the order with him.

Rumor has it that you have to write the order on parchment paper, light a candle at midnight, and then burn the paper from the flame while reciting all the words off the "WHY MALIBU" page on the Malibu website?

• Like 1

Chee was very quick to respond with prices and time frame. I contacted him at [email protected] He emailed me when he recieved my cheque and let me know it would take a week to clear, then two weeks to make the skins, and a week to deliver. His price included shipping, the black staple edge and of course amazing skins. The skins have tabs built into them to suck them down to give the cusion three demension. To difficult for me, I am going to hand the job off to a local upholstery company.

• Like 2

A couple of questions:

Who is Chee? Are they a member on here? A company?

What are "skins"? Is that a fancy word for the upholstery vinyl?

I have some threads that are pulling out of the vinyl on my rear bench seat. I was going to take the cushion to a local upholstery shop to have repaired, but I hear so much about "Chee" and wondering if I should deal with them instead.

It was my understanding that Chee worked for Malibu. He is a member here but does not post very often. Skins is the term for the vinyl cover for all padded or covered areas of you boat. I used Chee because my 2006 23 LSV has very complicated seat and vinyl patterns with many different materials and piping in each seat. He is able to reproduce the skins off your hull number. This way he is building them off factory spec. They are perfect.

Edited by Wake My Day

A couple of questions:

Who is Chee? Are they a member on here? A company?

What are "skins"? Is that a fancy word for the upholstery vinyl?

I have some threads that are pulling out of the vinyl on my rear bench seat. I was going to take the cushion to a local upholstery shop to have repaired, but I hear so much about "Chee" and wondering if I should deal with them instead.

If looking at replacing any vinyl, chee is the way to go...it'll match, and fit same as new.

If repairing, your local upholstery shop would be the best way to go.

Another satisfied Chee customer here. There's a leap of faith you need to make when dealing with Chee - cash or check in advance only.

I wonder if upholstery is available via Chee for an old Malibu Skier.....

Yes, indeed! Make it a factory look or a full customer look. The sky is the limit.

Anybody got the Skier/Sunsetter pics to share?

It was my understanding that Chee worked for Malibu. He is a member here but does not post very often. Skins is the term for the vinyl cover for all padded or covered areas of you boat. I used Chee because my 2006 23 LSV has very complicated seat and vinyl patterns with many different materials and piping in each seat. He is able to reproduce the skins off your hull number. This way he is building them off factory spec. They are perfect.

Chee wasn't an original employee but he worked for Malibu very early on. I met him at the Malibu factory in 1990 and again in 1997. I had him make me a custom snap cover for the bow of my 1997 SSLX when I bought it new in 1996. He retired a couple of years before the Malibu sold. He recently did a friend of mine's VLX at his place, both carpet and skins, ( we live close enough to drop off the boat) and it looked amazing. He is a very soft spoken man of Laotian decent. If you met him in person, you would be totally comfortable paying money in advance for unseen work.

You wouldn't know if Chee does skins for boats other than Malibu? I've been itching to get my seat bottom skins replaced, but I've got a Tige.

Maybe i could pull the skins off and send them to him with a check?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have a budget number a guy can use for replacing all skins in a 98 sportster? I understand there would be a few variables but just looking for a budget.

• 2 months later...

I ordered the Skins for my 2008 Sunsetter LX from Chee, and they were perfect. As for leaving them in the box, due to health issues right after I ordered the skins, I was not able to install them for about a year (right now) after receiving them. Like an idiot I left them in the box waiting to install. I was able to use an iron and towel on both sides to remove the creases. Iron had to be on full and I turned it down a bit to do the back side of the vinyl (inside) and did not use the towel.. If you are looking for quality don't hesitate to use Chee. Just notify him on the Yahoo address, listed in this post and, include your hull serial number as well as which covers you need. He will shoot a price and will take Paypal or a check. There is a slight delay when sending a check since he waits for it to clear your bank. The hardest part of installing is removing the 5millino staples in the old skins. I also found that if you put 1" Velcro on the skins and plastic bases you can stretch the cover in place and make sure it is straight and taught before stapling the saples strips included with the new covers. Also, buy a pneumatic stapler. Good luck.

Does anyone know where I can find the netting for the sides in the boat?

Edited by CCamp