Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kauai Vacation tips.

D-GOOSE

Heading over to Kauai in Jan and looking for some travel tips. We already have planed a tube rafting trip down a canal, wakeboarding on the fresh water river (behind a Malbu), catamaran trip and laying out at the beach. What other activities are fun to do?

It would also be great to meet up with any crew members.

I did a heli once. Great way to see things you can't see from the roads. I always wanted to hike in the mountains at the end of the road near princeville. Waimea canyon was neat but a long drive. I would avoid the Lu'au. Unless you want to overpay for a mediocre meal.

• Like 1

I did a heli once. Great way to see things you can't see from the roads. I always wanted to hike in the mountains at the end of the road near princeville. Waimea canyon was neat but a long drive. I would avoid the Lu'au. Unless you want to overpay for a mediocre meal.

The lu'aus are all tourist traps...save the money and find a good restaurant away from the crowd/tourists.

The canyon is cool as heck. Good way to spend the day.

I've lived on Oahu for a year now and I haven't been there yet ;-(

Will need to do that soonest.

Report back after your fun in the sea/sun.

I've been there a few times with the family. It is by far my favorite island. Spend as much time in Hanalei Bay as you can, the scenery is stunning. At the end of the road in Hanalei bay there is a hike along the Napali coast, you can go 2 miles in to a river crossing and a small beach and hangout and you can also go 2 miles further to the falls which are really something to see. You have to start this hike early, it's moderate in difficulty, my wife was 4 months pregnant when she did it. Plan on getting muddy and wet but it's warm so no big deal. The views on this hike are also amazing. Between Hanalei and the end of the road there are is a surf spot called Cannons, it's like a mini Pipeline and it's impressive to see the locals surf it. In January you are likely to see some big swells. The south shore is also great, just not as pretty. The beaches are more kid friendly. This is area to rent a long board and surf since the locals don't really surf there and the waves are generally smaller. Have fun, it's the best island IMO.

Hey dude,

I have a time share in Oahu and go twice a year. When you go to HI. in the winter months expect to pay double for everything period, no way around it . Airfare, Rental Car. Food, Hotels. Even stuff like surfboard rentals. Thank the Canadians with $ to spend. Sorry to the Canadian Crew, but I speak the truth.

Been twice. Napali coast hike is awesome. The next time we went back, we did river raft tours along the bottom of the Napali cliffs - saw dolphins/turtles and got to go under arches and into sea caves. If you are a fan of waterfalls, the helicopter tour is maybe the most beautiful helicopter ride you will ever take - thousands of waterfalls, and flying between peaks/ through valleys. Really cool. Jealous you are going. Have a blast.

Heading over to Kauai in Jan and looking for some travel tips. We already have planed a tube rafting trip down a canal, wakeboarding on the fresh water river (behind a Malbu), catamaran trip and laying out at the beach. What other activities are fun to do?

It would also be great to meet up with any crew members.

Don't forget to take twister.... ;)

Can't vouch but when I was on Oahu these were some things mentioned we should try by others in addition to those already mentioned...

Princeville Ranch Adventures

Waimea Canyon

Not sure if they are up and running yet but Kauai Beer Company

Sea kayak tours

The pork from a Lu' au is fantastic....the rest not so much

Hey dude,

I have a time share in Oahu and go twice a year. When you go to HI. in the winter months expect to pay double for everything period, no way around it . Airfare, Rental Car. Food, Hotels. Even stuff like surfboard rentals. Thank the Canadians with $ to spend. Sorry to the Canadian Crew, but I speak the truth.

Hey thanks for the offer to hold the crew xmas party in Hawaii....such the gentleman.... :)

Just got back about a month ago for the 1st time...you will love it! Not sure where you are staying but we stayed on the Norhshore and spent the majority of time there. Here are some things to do:

Hike - End of the Road past Princeville (awesome) - we did the 2 miles in to the beach and back

Helicoptor Tour - Best Island to do it, go when you get there and you will be very familar with the island

Food - Spend Time in Hanalei Bay as someone mentioned. Dolphin (AMAZING Sushi), Baracuda (Tapas)

For the best Fish taco's and Poke on the island...it's a fish market. Right before Princeville there is a lighthouse...on the left (a mile or so) before the lighthouse there is a fish market. Go There...best fish tacos around!

Have fun...we had a blast there!!!

I second the helicopter ride. If you only took one heli ride in your life --- this would be the one. And worth every penny. Make sure you negotiate to sit in front if you go with other people. It's the cliffs, canyons, jungle and waterfalls of Jurrassic Park in real life.

A couple of weeks ago, we did the Big Island sea caves and snorkeling tour (4 hr), and it was totally worth it.

The smaller the zodiac (less folks) the funner it'll be. We did the 6 p tour. This might hold true for the other islands too.

Same observations here. My wife and I went with another couple back in Dec '94 (pre Kids - our friends were actually expecting their first). Can't believe it has been that long! We had the best time. The hike is awesome - but as someone said, your shoes are gonna get muddy. Heli tour is unbelievable. Waimea is gorgeous. Pack a picnic lunch. There are places to park along 550 where you can hike a trail and walk out on one of the fingers overlooking the canyon. Some of the most stunning scenery to just sit and enjoy for a couple hours. Poipu beach is cool too - check out Brennecke's Beach Broiler...

Man, we need to go back there...

Can't vouch but when I was on Oahu these were some things mentioned we should try by others in addition to those already mentioned...

Waimea Canyon

Sea kayak tours

Hey thanks for the offer to hold the crew xmas party in Hawaii....such the gentleman.... :)

Hey dude, I'll host as long as it's April or October. Snow bunnies are nonexistent and Hawaii is our's.

Just got back from there last week. All are great options mentioned above. Princeville was overpriced and crowded, not with people tho. Check out a captain Andy boat tour. We checked out the only fresh/salt water ski/wakeboard but hell, you can do it yourself and put that money toward gas. Go sky diving and you'll get a better view and rush than the chopper. Rent a convertible too and hit the Costco off the airport road. You'll save a ton on drinks and munches. Grab a cooler from Costco too and fill up with ice at hotel. Lol. The snorkeling was rough in all the spots because of the storms in the pacific. Still had a blast! Have fun

Waimea Canyon

Sea kayak tours

The Lu'au are way over priced and will be making our meals.

Maybe I'll have to be one of the first to try Kauai beer!!

As for twister you can't do that unless you have baby oil :biggrin:

I second the helicopter ride. If you only took one heli ride in your life --- this would be the one. And worth every penny. Make sure you negotiate to sit in front if you go with other people. It's the cliffs, canyons, jungle and waterfalls of Jurrassic Park in real life.

The helicoter and ski diving is out as the wife wouldn't go, but can see how alsome the trip would be.

Just got back from there last week. All are great options mentioned above. Princeville was overpriced and crowded, not with people tho. Check out a captain Andy boat tour. We checked out the only fresh/salt water ski/wakeboard but hell, you can do it yourself and put that money toward gas. Go sky diving and you'll get a better view and rush than the chopper. Rent a convertible too and hit the Costco off the airport road. You'll save a ton on drinks and munches. Grab a cooler from Costco too and fill up with ice at hotel. Lol. The snorkeling was rough in all the spots because of the storms in the pacific. Still had a blast! Have fun

Can you rent just the boat or do you have friends in the area?

We have the convertible rented and will have an AO cooler as my carry on. Costco will be our first stop as Lawai Beach resort has a kitchen area. We are on the Ocean side top floor.

Mark where is your time share?

What part of the island are you staying on?

Love Kauai. Been a couple times, may have a few recommendations depending on where you are staying.

You golf at all? I played Kauai Lagoons this year down near the airport and it was fantastic. Much better value than the Princeville courses IMO.

I agree on the lu'au. Don't waste the time or money. I also agree that a heli tour is required however go NO DOORS! It's the best that way. The hike mentioned above is also pretty amazing and all that's been said is true. Poipu is pretty cool as well. The public beach is frequented by Monk Seals and the snorkeling at the public beach is pretty good. My wife and I have been there a couple of times and are trying to figure out how to get back with the 2 younger kids (11 months and 4 years).

Most of all, take it all in, eat some killer food, and enjoy the relaxation!