Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat stereo spl

cowwboy

Party pooper...I was going to pm martinarcher and have him meter his in the smallest room of that underground cave he stores his boat in. :) He with the smallest shop wins!

That's why we've never metered a boat. It's kind of pointless, but I do stand behind the statement that open air 120s at driver head height is strong.

p.s. I was in and around the spl competition thing since before 150 was broken--name that amazing Blazer (and bitchin mullet :rockon: ).

OMG that's vague! Haha everyone did blazers back then?? Ummmm Chris Norris?? Hehe ;)

LoL... not party pooping man.. Go ahead and have fun and test away!! Just saying if one of you test it on the water with boats flying by and say one in a garage, it's not gonna be a real comparable reading, especially without measuring the meters mic from each system to match. Thats funny you said " You seal the car to get higher SPL readings from the stereo, don't let any sound out. " :) They are sealed off to give the same test parameters, mic measurements, ect... Not to keep sound in to get a higher reading... Like I said, don't let my post stop you from having fun :( just have set rules on where and how you test, may make it more interesting I guess??

I am just saying that if you are splitting hairs, you need to control all those variables. But I don't think we are anywhere near close to splitting hairs.

I have no idea what a 120 DB system sounds like...unless mine is that loud? I do know that I am king of my little corner, which is pretty much a little corner. Everyone loves my system, but I have no real idea where it is at. I can't help but think that I could get some consistency if I just put the sound meter in the driver's seat, and move the seat forward. Or stand on the swim step with meter height same as the tower speakers. I am sure it might fluctuate 5 DB, but do you really think it would be more than that? Science tells me that 90 + 20 DB does not equal 110 DB because it is a logarithmic scale.

Correct tall ;) but you will be splitting hairs when the tests start flowing in. That's the problem with these style of tests, see where I'm coming from? You guys will have a vague reference to your DB reading in different test scenarios... There is a reasons they are done to a standard.. If you have a object that throws a DB reading higher than your system at the time of one of your tests or abundant amounts of background noises, all bets are off ;) that's all.. Your trying to test a specific source, it needs isolated for a true reading... That's all..

OMG that's vague! Haha everyone did blazers back then?? Ummmm Chris Norris?? Hehe ;)

Nah, the original one man--Mark Fukuda with the yellow RF. That thing is still amazing.

He and Wayne Harris, Richard Clark, etc. Legends and great guys.

Wow, my boredom and curiosity kicked it off. I would figure a driver seat ear level for the interior performance and maybe ear level on the swim deck or platform? But calibration, atmospheric pressure, temperature etc. come into play. I was just curious since I'm used to my same components throwing down 150's in automobiles.

Nah, the original one man--Mark Fukuda with the yellow RF. That thing is still amazing.

All hall of fame guys that did a ton to shape the mobile electronics industry.

Ah talking dinasour status!! Lol... That truck just sat and rotted, I was informed... He isn't with RF...

Mark is still around selling equipment here and there though ;)

Edited by Truekaotik

Dinosaur? I'm not even 40 yet!! :whistle:

Yeah, it was a long time ago but those were the guys. I competed starting as a senior in High school from 1990-1994 on and off, won 8 of 10 shows the first season but never took my own car to nationals. Knew it was pointless at the time against those guys, plus David May's Civic would have been in my power class which was 50-249watts. Back then the last two digits of your SPL score counted in your points total (140=40 points) and he was 152+ and I was 141+. Plus he had a better install all around. At the local shows Audiocontrol meters/mics only read to 136db, so it leveled the playing field a bit and made install, RTA score, and SQ much more important so I did well, even in Pro class.

I knew Mark wasn't with RF any more, last I saw the Blazer it was in the lobby at RTTI when that was open. Too bad it just sat and decayed after that, my Accord wagon is doing the same thing in my back garage and it makes me sad on a daily basis. :(

Edited by jk13

Mark is kind of a unique person. There is a lot about him most people don't know. His father was a brillant surgeon that originated replacement joints.

Mark went on to form a ME school, design patented tools still sold by others to this date, design esoteric home theater decor in a box, form a rep firm, on more.

David

I cant remember the guys screen name on here, but I listened to his Bu a year or so back up on lake Samammish in WA. Was it Spotts? White VLX I think... Anyway, that boat got an A+++ for SPL. Somehow he stuffed a 4+cu foot box under the helm all done up in birch. I think he was running a 15" woofer ported. I didnt mic it, but I've heard enough sound in my day to know when somethings over 140dB. This thing was LOUD. Crazy loud in the open air. He wasnt even running tones.

Loudest Bu I've heard to date. Good thing he didnt value foot room in the helm. hehe. Cause he had none :> Maybe he'll chime in if he reads this.

-Brian

I cant remember the guys screen name on here, but I listened to his Bu a year or so back up on lake Samammish in WA. Was it Spotts? White VLX I think... Anyway, that boat got an A+++ for SPL. Somehow he stuffed a 4+cu foot box under the helm all done up in birch. I think he was running a 15" woofer ported. I didnt mic it, but I've heard enough sound in my day to know when somethings over 140dB. This thing was LOUD. Crazy loud in the open air. He wasnt even running tones.

Loudest Bu I've heard to date. Good thing he didnt value foot room in the helm. hehe. Cause he had none :> Maybe he'll chime in if he reads this.

-Brian

White VTX Brian, Crash , and it was NOT pretty.

LOL yea it wasnt pretty by any stretch. It's also the only BU that I've seen with a sub box that sticks out flush to the dash. But it was LOUD. LOUD LOUD.