Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat stereo spl

cowwboy

Well I was bored today so I barrowed my buddies shop's RTA.

Playing normal music in my driveway (swimming pools and better dig two) the sub hit 124 at the port and 122.7db at the driver seat ear level. On the swim deck with just the towers on it hit 115 DB listening to country.

I know on the lakes I can hold my own, but what are some of the other monster stereo's metering?

Not sure on db a or c. I guess this one isn't a real rta. Just a db meter.

I have 10 acres. My neighbors aren't very close.

Most meters have a a/c switch. I was just curious. 100+ db is rockin loud no matter how you measure it :rockon:

Ya the shop who I'm connected with has a "audio control" RTA, I think I may have my boat up there this weekend for a sale their having.

I've been wanting to play some pink noise and see how tuned the system is with no equalization.

8 professional grade 6.5 mids amp'd with 1,200W, along with a 400W 12 inch sub puts out a helluva noise in my old Malibu Skier....with amazing sound quality. Don't have a db number for you though.

Best thing is that it all projects inwards on the boat, no tower speaks, so nobody else on the lake needs to hear all that racket....

Right on for having a DD. Great subs. I have a Sundown Zv3 15. It's comparable to the DD9515f. I haven't heard a boat with more SPL output. I've always wanted to have it metered on a term-lab, but haven't had the chance. I ended up having to install pro audio mids and horn loaded tweeters, because I couldn't find a coaxial that could keep up with the bass...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/139283-test-time-again-sundown-z-v3-15-in-the-ddbeast/+sundown+zv3+15+db&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

My biggest push for DD is that I live in okc and have the great pleasure of getting to hang out with the guys who built my sub.

They are really cool and down to earth and being hand built they can do any modification you want.

How about somebody buy a DB meter and we can send it around from crew member to crew member for testing? I have no idea how I compare.

I am concerned about playing country music that loud, I have heard the speakers want to revolt and burn up with it.

How about somebody buy a DB meter and we can send it around from crew member to crew member for testing? I have no idea how I compare.

I am concerned about playing country music that loud, I have heard the speakers want to revolt and burn up with it.

If the speakers revolt against country then go with the other type of music...western.

we'd all have to agree on a common song (apples to apples), record the test with meter in focus, and then post the video.

oh man this would be fun

Edited by nyryan2001

I know this sounds cool guys and you all want to test your SPL but, unless you are testing in a controlled environment, your readings are prolly false... It reads all sound, that is why when we do a SPL test, the car is sealed, calibrated and remote controlled... But don't let my post stop you.. :)

Only $30 bucks at Amazon...hard to beat. I wonder if it is any good?

I know this sounds cool guys and you all want to test your SPL but, unless you are testing in a controlled environment, your readings are prolly false... It reads all sound, that is why when we do a SPL test, the car is sealed, calibrated and remote controlled... But don't let my post stop you.. :)

You are just trying to be a party pooper. :biggrin:

DB is recorded on a logarithmic scale, so keep in mind that a 20 DB external noise added to a 90 DB song does NOT equal 110 DB.

You seal the car to get higher SPL readings from the stereo, don't let any sound out.

Edited by TallRedRider

Party pooper...I was going to pm martinarcher and have him meter his in the smallest room of that underground cave he stores his boat in. :) He with the smallest shop wins!

That's why we've never metered a boat. It's kind of pointless, but I do stand behind the statement that open air 120s at driver head height is strong.

p.s. I was in and around the spl competition thing since before 150 was broken--name that amazing Blazer (and bitchin mullet :rockon: ).

LoL... not party pooping man.. Go ahead and have fun and test away!! Just saying if one of you test it on the water with boats flying by and say one in a garage, it's not gonna be a real comparable reading, especially without measuring the meters mic from each system to match. Thats funny you said " You seal the car to get higher SPL readings from the stereo, don't let any sound out. " :) They are sealed off to give the same test parameters, mic measurements, ect... Not to keep sound in to get a higher reading... Like I said, don't let my post stop you from having fun :( just have set rules on where and how you test, may make it more interesting I guess??