Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear locker question

VLX_Fixation

So i am in the midst of making my own piggy back system for the rear lockers on my 07 VLX with the help of a buddy. I wanna get your guys opinion on something. Im putting the 400lbs sacs in each trunk and im still gonna use the lockers for lifejackets and misc...but i dont wanna have to take the jackets out and re arrange every time i go to fill those sacs seeing as how i wont be filling them every trip. So im thinking of building a false floor high enough that the bag will still fill completely but low enough that the trunk is still usable for the previously mentioned "junk" lol. Honestly what is making me think about this is i have some fairly inconsiderate riders on occassion and i can already picture them just throwing stuff into my lockers and breaking the fittings an stuff and ill get pissed at them and wanna kick them off in the middle of the lake with no life preservers and make them swim. Lol and i know they dont do it intentionally, they never mean harm but theyve never owned a boat so i try not to over exaggerate when they step on the vinyl with tennis shoes and stuff but i am very meticulous about my boat so i do tell them to take their crap off... so im trying to prevent it from the get go...im thinking of building an entire box for the sacs to sit in...what do you guys think??

Those 400's will leave you with plenty of room. Never heard of fittings breaking under those conditions, are they tossing anchors in there? I suppose you could build a huge box for each, just coat it inside and out like you would a sub box.

I had a suggestion from a buddy the same as jonnyrad mentioned in another post asking the same question just now...just building a tray like the heater tray over the motor...do you think i build it deep enough to get a couple life jackets and ropes and handles and stuff in each locker? Thinking about it now, my original plan was to set it all up so i can swap my 400's for my 750's when we hit deeper lakes...so i guess building a box would pretty much eliminate that plan...any other ideas? Im pretty capable of building mostly anything so im open to all suggestions

I have the 400's in mine, and I can fit at least 10 jackets, a bag full of sand toys for the kids, and a few deflated inflatables when the bags are full.

In your vride? Wow thats a lot more than i would expect. Thats awesome. I might build a deep tray for that then

I am pretty interested in what you come up with for a tray design. I dont store anything in my vdrive unless we are surfing the port size. i fill a bag under the seat and thus have to move all my vests to the starboard vidrive for storage. We mostly wakeboard and I have 750s that take up most of the space. A tray would be nice back there so that people can throw their wet stuff back there without getting water in that compartment. Thats probably the hardest place to dry out. i wonder what the cost would be to get some kind of molded plastic.

I did that when i was mocking up the idea with a buddy. We filled the 750 in one locker and the 400 in the opposite and i likes the room the 400 left for storage thats why i decide to go with that setup. Im liking the idea of building the tray setup.

Just my .02, but what if you made a folding false floor so if for any reason you needed more room and less ballast you could remove the bag completely. My thought would be to get some would, and carpet it, then put hinges on them and connect the hinges to the engine divider (strengthen the engine divider also but I would have done that as soon as I added sacs back there) you can either make the wood slightly larger so that it can't quite sit parallel with the floor that way it will naturally sit on the opposite wall of the engine divider. That way if you would virtually have two compartments on top of each other and then if for any reason you didn't need the sacs and needed more room you could use that bottom compartment. I hope that makes sense.

Just my .02, but what if you made a folding false floor so if for any reason you needed more room and less ballast you could remove the bag completely. My thought would be to get some would, and carpet it, then put hinges on them and connect the hinges to the engine divider (strengthen the engine divider also but I would have done that as soon as I added sacs back there) you can either make the wood slightly larger so that it can't quite sit parallel with the floor that way it will naturally sit on the opposite wall of the engine divider. That way if you would virtually have two compartments on top of each other and then if for any reason you didn't need the sacs and needed more room you could use that bottom compartment. I hope that makes sense.

That makes sense definitely. Kinda leaning that way but not sure about hinging it. It's def gonna be removable though.

How deep do you think you can go with the trays.

10" ish. From what i remember, and that was filled with air not water so it might take a lower wider shape an give me more space on top of the bag as well

Edited by VLX_Fixation

I'm trying to think of a way so that it would actually be hinged downward, that way when not need it could be folded down to be right against the engine divider, but the only way I could think doing that would require hanging in from the opposite wall of the engine cover which isn't efficient. If there is another way, then that is the way I would do it

if you could come up with a plastic tray like the one over the engine, Me thinking, me would buy a set!

How about a thin guage aluminum? :) lighter and stronger than the plastic.

One piece (after welded of course). Made to fit whatever dimensions you want. As deep as you want

Count me in for a set too. Also count me in to watch a YouTube vid of you kicking said riders out midlake without lifejackets.

These bags will take a totally different shape when filled with air as oposed to water. It will be lower and more round when filled with water as you suspected so you would have more depth for a tray. Alot of fiberglass and gel back there, I'm not sure I would want anything aluminum back there.

How's momma and the baby?

These bags will take a totally different shape when filled with air as oposed to water. It will be lower and more round when filled with water as you suspected so you would have more depth for a tray. Alot of fiberglass and gel back there, I'm not sure I would want anything aluminum back there.

How's momma and the baby?

If i could get the tray to hang off of the gel on the top of the locker and the engine divider, what turns you off of having anything aluminum back there? Just curiosity idk what i am missing.

Momma's frustrated because hospital is full still and baby is stubborn and wont come out on her own...we're "Next on the list" when it comes to an available room but as long as natural births keep coming in we keep getting pushed back. And apparently baby is nice and cozy in there because she won't go into labor on her own. It sure would make it a lot easier if she would start contractions or something because then they can't deny us...we're registered at the "slowest" nicest and most expensive hospital in town, we did it this way so we wouldn't have to deal with this....that back fired. Apparently theres a lot of babies due this time of year, considering its 9-10 months from valentines day. Lol

Count me in for a set too. Also count me in to watch a YouTube vid of you kicking said riders out midlake without lifejackets.

When you get the design, let me know. Maybe some none skid padding for the underside lip of the bin to protect any gel coat?

I second the you tube video posting. Sounds like a popcorn and butter event!

Edited by Rmack

When you get the design, let me know. Maybe some none skid padding for the underside lip of the bin to protect any gel coat?

I second the you tube video posting. Sounds like a popcorn and butter event!

Lol will do. Im assuming our lockers are all fairly similar in size and shape...?