Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX Hull Diamond vs Wake- Advice Needed

Gregg97007

New to the site so go easy on me if this issue has been beat to death on here- figured this was the place to get the best advice.

Three part question. 1- I’ve been looking around at the board and researching the two hulls available for the VTX (Diamond & Wake), I am curious about the general preference between the two. 2- Can you get a decent wakeboard/surf wake out of the diamond? 3- Hypothetically, what will be the best for resale down the road?

Bonus question: Any pro’s/cons’ of either?

Thanks!

At wake and surf speeds, the wake is imperceptibly different. That conclusion is drawn from going from a 2001 wakesetter VLX to a 2004 sunscape (same precise dimensions, just diamond hull difference). However, ski wake is much different. I now have a diamond VTX and skis great for a vdrive. Although still breaking in, surf wake looks to have great potential. wake v diamond hull is a no cost option so in theory prices are same.

I think people who want to ski as well will want the diamond hull. I have it on my VTX and am very happy with the wake for the various things we do. If you are buying a VTX I would strongly recommend the diamond hull but on a VLX it may make less difference for resale if you figure that someone who really wants to ski as well will likely opt for a VTX.

Absolutely can get a great surf and board wake out of a diamond hull. See my post (#5) with pictures of both sports! http://www.themalibu...es/#entry546778

Best resale down the road would be to buy a slightly used one:

I know of a great one for sale... on ebay now :-)

The perks of buying new (buying from a very well respected malibu dealer on this board, still under warranty) but the price of a private party sale.

http://www.themalibu...dio-boat-67500/

Edited by chadwick02

I am going to depart from some of the more knowledgeable guys here.

I liken it to engine hours. Those of us that know boats aren't the least bit concerned about an engine with 500 hours on it that has been well maintained. But the average boat buyer is going to look down on that boat because there are so many out there with less hours on it. So resale suffers because of perception, not because of reality.

SInce the vast majority of boat buyers are now wakeboarders and surfers, you limit your buyer numbers by touting what a great ski wake your boat can make. For the average Joe, there has to be a trade off in wakeboard or surf performance, despite testimonials from plenty of people here that the difference is negligible. Maybe the word is out, and the buyer audience can be educated, but I think there are lots of people who are going to read 'diamond hull' and then go to the next ad. I am not saying the performance is less, but the perspective is going to be out there.

tall red,

Good points, and I'd agree w you on a 23 or even a 21, but I would hazard a guess that the diamond VTX is more in demand as it si the only option for tournament-rated slalom wakes in a vdrive layout other than the Sport 200.

tall red,

Good points, and I'd agree w you on a 23 or even a 21, but I would hazard a guess that the diamond VTX is more in demand as it si the only option for tournament-rated slalom wakes in a vdrive layout other than the Sport 200.

Agree with this assessment. Buyers looking for a crossover V-drive are going to be targeting a VTX with a diamond hull. Though I would also have to agree with tallred in the reverse - that a buyer that is set on a diamond hull VTX won't be disappoined with the ski wake of the wake hull at 34+ MPH but they will be stuck thinking they need the diamond hulll. I realize that 34mph is faster than most people ski, but the wake hull is pretty nice and the wake somewhat rounded (though small) as I recall from skiing it.

Everybody I know with a VTX bought it specifically because of the Diamond Hull option. That tells me it's in demand. So your buyer will either be looking for that, or too dumb to know the difference.

I would say the oposite is true of the VLX or LSV. The buyers there will either be looking for Wake hull, or too dumb to know the difference.

My 2012 247 LSV came with the diamond hull. The wake at cruising (and waterskiing) speeds is surprisingly flat. But when ballast tanks are full and wedge is down, the wake turns into a monster!

Very happy with the diamond hull.

Thanks everyone for the input- extremely valuable. In summary it sounds like it will depend on your buyer down the road, I personally wakeboard and surf exclusively so in theory the wake hull would be a better choice for me but sounds like it is still possible with the diamond. Again thanks guys!

Bottom line is the majority of VTX buyers are looking for the diamond hull - a wake hull will hurt more than help come resale time. That said, if you keep the boat for several years it will be long enough in the depreciation cycle that it shouldn't hurt you much having a wake hull. If you only keep it a couple years it could bite you either in what you can sell it for and/or how fast you can unload it.

I have a wake hull, we do not ski. I test drove and rode both hulls, I could not tell the difference but I'm not a pro. :) We looked at the VTX for several reasons, one of the main reasons was a smaller boat we could board and surf behind without spending the money on a VLX. I had a VRide prior to the VTX and I appreciate the fit and finish on the Wakesetrer line. Its worth the extra dollars when buying.

I know several with both, it's just a preference. I don't believe either hull will affect a resale value. There is a buyer for everything.

PS mines for sale ;)

Edited by T-Squared

First most will never know the difference between the hulls. If you ski at all then the diamond hull would be the obvious choice. The only models you can’t get the diamond hull option is on the MXZ.

Due to the fact many want the benefit vdrive layout and yet still ski the VTX on a diamond hull is perfect. For this model either hull will work for resale as there are others that like it due to the size i.e. able to fit in the garage, able to tow with smaller vehicle, lake restrictions etc. If you were talking any other model upon selling some will pass knowing it’s on the diamond hull w/o really having boarded behind it and thus stuck with the notion they must have the wake hull. In the end many wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

In the end the hours, condition, and options imho will be greater determining factors for resale. If it were me I’d make sure to get the low pro option for the trailer giving you the best chance to fit it in a standard garage.

I have 08 VTX wake hull-- ski 1/2 and wakeboard 1/2. I spent many of nights deciding on a wake or diamond hull and never looked back after the first summer. The skiing is great at 33mph (I skied course w/ MC yrs back) and the wake (with 3 stock ballasts and 1 external ballast) is awesome. Wakesurf is pushing 38"++ with ext. 750 ballast--1 external ballast is a must. Resale is based on service records and your polished pictures on Craigslist. These boats are hard to come by and they are snatched up w/ great resale prices. I would focus on your own personal preferences. It's a wakeboard market out there and I don't see how a Diamond would beat out a similar Wake model.

I am going to depart from some of the more knowledgeable guys here.

I liken it to engine hours. Those of us that know boats aren't the least bit concerned about an engine with 500 hours on it that has been well maintained. But the average boat buyer is going to look down on that boat because there are so many out there with less hours on it. So resale suffers because of perception, not because of reality.

And figure those hours based on the year. My 99 Sunsetter lxi has around 650 hours. Based on that usage there's a pretty good chance I'll die before my engine does. At that point resale really doesn't matter.

All boats our local dealer orders in are diamond hulls (except MXZ as wake hull only). I see more pros than cons with a diamond hull.

Even the 247? wow

• 2 weeks later...

I have had both and bought each one brand new. The Diamond is the way to go. The slalom wake is better on the DC, The wake surf is better on the DC with stock ballast and a power wedge and the wake boarding wake was only slightly diminished from the wake hull VTX. Quite frankly unless you are an advanced wakeboarder then the DC will actually be better for you.

Like I said I have had both so no bias just real world back to back (2007 DC vs. 2008 Wake) comparison.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Willy