Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Internship

saskicker32

Has anyone ever heard about or done an internship with Malibu? I am a mechanical engineering student and would love to apply to Malibu for an internship, hopefully in there Merced plant (I'm from California). Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything. Thanks

A lot of people on this forum have a side dream of working at Malibu and influencing them on product development.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of anyone actually doing any such thing.

As far as I know (ICBW) the Merced plant only builds the G3 tower and nothing more.

Darn it, I just really think I would enjoy seeing the design and simulation of boats. I am going to be taking fluids classes in spring and think they will be really interesting.

Oh I definitely will still try. Worse thing that can happen is they say no. I just have recently really enjoyed thinking about how to design a better boat for different qualities. And taking a factory tour is a great idea, maybe I can do it on a weekend in the winter so I won't be on the water or swamped with homework. Thanks for the advice.

A lot of people on this forum have a side dream of working at Malibu and influencing them on product development.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of anyone actually doing any such thing.

As far as I know (ICBW) the Merced plant only builds the G3 tower and nothing more.

Pete is right...the Merced plant is not much more than a ghost town nowadays, they make towers but that is it...all the boat making, personnel, customer service is at the TN plant. BUt give it a shot, call them..who knows...Internships should be mandatory for young engineers, as it will give you a taste of what is out there and help guide you in which direction you want to go. Maybe you can be the new design engineer for Malibu's next great boat??

The TN # is 865 458 5478...good luck

And good luck with the fluids class....

Pete is right...the Merced plant is not much more than a ghost town nowadays, they make towers but that is it

I wonder why they bother keeping it open. Obviously anything they make there has to incur the cost of being shipped half way across the country. It costs a lot more to run a business in The People's Republic of Kalifornia than in Tennessee.

My only guess is they are getting big tax incentives, own the property and can't offload it without incurring a huge loss from the sale vs. expansion that would be required in Tennessee.

I wonder why they bother keeping it open. Obviously anything they make there has to incur the cost of being shipped half way across the country. It costs a lot more to run a business in The People's Republic of Kalifornia than in Tennessee.

My only guess is they are getting big tax incentives, own the property and can't offload it without incurring a huge loss from the sale vs. expansion that would be required in Tennessee.

What big tax incentives could they be getting? CA is about to implode from its ever increasing debt as are several counties and cities. they own the property and yes offloading in a down economy could be extremely tough.

There were several reasons for the move.

Cost of doing business in CA, from the idiotic regulations, worker's comp, insurance, labor, to shipping costs all attributed to moving all operations to TN

Most vendors were/are in the Eastern US, so shipping to West coast was an added burden,...just how close is Indmar?

Most boats are sold in Eastern US, so shipping costs to dealers is less

What big tax incentives could they be getting? CA is about to implode from its ever increasing debt as are several counties and cities. they own the property and yes offloading in a down economy could be extremely tough.

There were several reasons for the move.

Cost of doing business in CA, from the idiotic regulations, worker's comp, insurance, labor, to shipping costs all attributed to moving all operations to TN

I get the reasons for the move - what are the reasons for staying in California? With as poorly as that gov't is ran I wouldn't doubt for a second that they could be seeing some kind of tax break for leaving some business there.

• Like 1

I get the reasons for the move - what are the reasons for staying in California? With as poorly as that gov't is ran I wouldn't doubt for a second that they could be seeing some kind of tax break for leaving some business there.

With the direction the state is headed, I am surprised they are still there too...although property prices in the Central Valley are in the dumps, but headed to the bottom of the dumpster in the future....Look at Stockton going bankrupt...gonna be more to follow.

I know you own and love your bu. But it might also be worth your while to look at the Sanger plant in Fresno for an internship. Them being a small family owned company you may have a better chance of getting aboard if you are up for an unpaid internship. With this economy having any technical internship under your belt when you graduate will help your chances in finding a good job.

• Like 2

I know you own and love your bu. But it might also be worth your while to look at the Sanger plant in Fresno for an internship. Them being a small family owned company you may have a better chance of getting aboard if you are up for an unpaid internship. With this economy having any technical internship under your belt when you graduate will help your chances in finding a good job.

Good idea!! in the Merced area you have Ski Centurion, MB, Sanger, Calabria....I am sure one of these boat makers could use a young, ambitious, smart as a whip intern.

Good luck.

Those are great ideas. I can't just rule out an opportunity because of my boat preference haha. I definitely will look into them all. Interships are highly pushed at my college, most engineers have at least one under there belt. Some of my friends who are juniors and seniors are making entry level salary at there internships. Someone just told me my schools engineers have the highest average intro salary, kind of cool. Thanks for the advice and encouragement though everyone, I really do appreciate it.

Unpaid internships are worth it. Landed me a full time promotion and a Stanley Cup ring 1 yr later:)

Most my engineering friends internahips were paid but dont pass up the unpaid ones.

Oh I wouldn't especially something unpaid but something you love vs. something you don't enjoy but make a few bucks, in the long run you will be sought after in the job field that you had the unpaid one at and you love it. How did you manage to get a stanley cup ring? haha thats impressive.