Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 VLX or 23 LSV

Marmonick

Thank you!! all of this information is great!!! I know this is a rough problem to have...and I am just trying to get through it...its gonna be difficult! ;)

As for the body of water, it is 90% of the time on the private lake we live on. it is about 130 acres and runs about 10ft deep with some 30 foot spots. we do take it up onto larger lakes a couple times a year. but nothing major.

I do have one more question, it sounds like the only difference is in the size and the surfing. Does the VLX throw a good surf wake? or will i be dissappointed that i didnt go with the 23?

NR - I have heard that about the LSV being easier to chilli dip than VLX... why is that? I would assume bigger / deeper boat would be more resistant to dumping the nose.

Being a larger boat it is not much deeper than the VLX.LSV has a lower Bal then the BLX when in the water. speculation is so there is less of an issue with bow rise under acceleration.

Marmonick, You will not be missing anything with the VLX! The LSV is a little larger however takes a lot more wait to get that extra Surf size. From personal experience it's easier to create a good surf wake with the VLX. Given the size of your primary lake the LSV may feel oversized. I will be replacing my 12 LSV shortly and it's between the VLX and the 24 MXZ.

So, the more I am reading, and the more I am talking to people, I am thinking the 21 VLX is a better option for me. Now the question is, should I upgrade the motor? And what other options do you think are a must. Obviously, i am getting the surf gate and Maliview...but what else is a must?

So, the more I am reading, and the more I am talking to people, I am thinking the 21 VLX is a better option for me. Now the question is, should I upgrade the motor? And what other options do you think are a must. Obviously, i am getting the surf gate and Maliview...but what else is a must?

I have the Monsoon 350 in my 2011 vlx with the acme 1235 prop and the boat pulls hard. We typically run stock ballast and wedge with 6-10 peeps and it does good. Would the LS3 motot be better? Yes, but I dont think its a must have on the vlx unless you are adding a ton of weight to the boat. For surfing I use stock mls ans a 750 in the rear compartment with no problems.

I would recommend the following upgrades:

3 vent heater

Hotwater shower

Extra set of swivel board racks

Walk thru transom plank

G3 Tower mounted mirror

Heated drivers seat ( nice to have )

Plug and play ballast

Acme 1235

Snap out carpet (might be standard now)

Are they offering rhe adjustable height drivers seat? This would be a cool upgrade to have.

For stereo, I would order base system and install your own... you will save $ and get a better quality system.

Edited by Fman

I would pass on transom plank and add lights front and rear as well as GPS speed control and surfgate.

As for stereo I did malibu's system on the 2013. sounded like garbage at first so I pulled off the nanny stickers on the amps and found both the amps set to "all pass". Fixed that, dialed the gains in and I am VERY pleased. I think a lot of the people griping about Malibu's factory system is because it's not set up right from the factory and they don't want to void the warranty. It's an amp, not the engine, and was WELL worth the risk IMO. IMO, the factory system is quite impressive unless you like to just go bersek on your stereo. I've had a 3 amp exile setup blah blah and it sounded good. Malibu Rf system not all that afr behind tho. And that's with just 4 interior speakers ona VTX.

I like the transom plank for a couple reasons, it does reduce wear and tear on the upholstry on swim deck. It also lightens up the weight on the ski lockers... they are pretty heavy even with the smaller doors with the plank.

Regarding The stereo, hard to beat a high end wetsounds/arc audio combo for less than the factory malibu system. Im pretty sure my wetsounds system sounds much better than the Soundpack 3 from Malibu. Just my opinion....

I have the LED docking and underwater lights, they are nice to have but not a necessity imo.

I don't like the plank because its uncomfortable to sit on, lay on, heck even to walk on. I'm glad you're happy with the plank. Obviously, you're not alone, nor am I and to each his own. Any weight difference is completely inconsequential.

As for stereo, I'm sure yours sounds great, but not all dealers price the stereo the same. Not to mention its warrantied by Malibu and the factory installation, especially now with mobile gateway, is second to none.

None of these things are necessities. But, I use my lights more than any other option. Again, might not be a priority for the OP, it certainly is for many. Is for me, not for you, that's why there's a list of options.

The monsoon will be plenty fine unless your running HUGE amounts of ballast. 1235 prop for myself has worked out great.

Here in CA, I don't think I needed a bunch of options, and my dealer is pretty cool and did not try to up sell anything. I actually asked about a heater an he said, I can sell it to you, but you don't need it. Showers are nice I suppose, but they just suck in lake water anyway, so just jump in.

Needed options I would say

Pop up cleats (nice for hanging bumpers)

Snap out carpet

Dual battery

PNP ballast

IF you do a lot of night boating, docking lights are nice when it is pitch black, but If your dock has lights and you can see, I say pass

If you ride with a big crew, a second set of board racks

And if you don't need the storage, front ballast. I like the extra storage so I went without.

As far as stereo is concerned, I would talk to your dealer as many have their own stereo shops near by that they work with. I went aftermarket through the dealer and they warranty it. Cheaper and just as good, if not better IMO.

If you boat in cold weather a lot, I suppose a heater would be nice. Most options are for a little more bling, so just ask yourself how often would you really need it.

350 is plenty of motor with the right prop as the others have said.

Options if I were ordering a 13.

1. Surfgate

2. Snap Out Carpet

3. Heater - will extend your season

4. All ballast options

5. Extra Bags

6. Stereo is personal preference but I am happy with my factory stuff and I have installed custom systems

7. Power Wedge

8. GPS based Speed Control

9. Tower Mounted Mirror

10. Walk over transom plank

11. 1235 prop

12. Dual Batteries

13. Pop up cleats

I love my VLX just wish it had surfgate!

I have underwater lights and docking lights but they are unnecessary.

Edited by jb 156

I don't like the plank because its uncomfortable to sit on, lay on, heck even to walk on. I'm glad you're happy with the plank. Obviously, you're not alone, nor am I and to each his own. Any weight difference is completely inconsequential.

As for stereo, I'm sure yours sounds great, but not all dealers price the stereo the same. Not to mention its warrantied by Malibu and the factory installation, especially now with mobile gateway, is second to none.

None of these things are necessities. But, I use my lights more than any other option. Again, might not be a priority for the OP, it certainly is for many. Is for me, not for you, that's why there's a list of options.

There have been many people on this Forum who have had issues with the Malibu installed stereo systems. It sounds like you had issues with the amps being wired incorrectly and not set properly. Nothing personal against Malibu, but its definitely apparent stereo systems are not at the top of there list. Maybe in 2013 they offering some better components other than low end tower speakers and Fosgate components. I dropped my boat off at Acme Stereo and Tunes, and returned with a high end professionally installed system. There wiring, mounting, component recommendations were nothing but top notch. For the Op, seems foolish to me to spend more money and a stereo that really at best will not be comparable to a customizeable Wetsounds or Exile system.... but, guess he will have to decide on his destiny.

I agree on all the above, to each is own on upgrades... I will say this, when you re-sell your boat and you have a newer Malibu people will want it loaded up. Its not an Axis or Vride... its the cream of the crop and people want all the bells and whistles. We use our heater A LOT, even in the summer time in Nor-Cal, late evenings and early morning sets... I personally would never own a boat without one. The heated seat is also nice. The Hotwater shower we do not use near as much as the heater, but when I sell the boat its another option on the checklist for the potential buyer.

Cant say I have had any complaints about the plank causing issues with people using the sundeck, but definitely probably not as comfortable as having a full pad. My wife and kids use it quite a bit and after two years I would have heard about it by now :).

Congratulations to the Op, looking forward to seeing your pics when you take delivery! Choosing upgrades is a great problem to have :rockon:

Maybe the point is being missed, I had an issue not with wiring but with my amp settings. Fosgate is still used and my boat sounds fareekin good after I got through with it. That said, am I a crazy audiophile who could tell the difference in sound from a jl to soundstream amp, nope not me, I just know the installation of the black box and related ports and especially for those using gateway now is second to none.

After having sold a laundry list of Malibus I'd say you're correct and incorrect, everyone's wants and needs are different. Loaded up means different things to different people. Heater is an obvious must. One thing I think may have been missed earlier was through hull flush kit. OP, a MUST HAVE. Have fun.

I understood what you are saying, and not knocking your system by anymeans, to each their own. Audio equiment is also one of those areas of "what is really the best" My opinion is that the factory system is way over priced. If I can save some money there and get a choice of equipment that I prefer, and sounds just as good if not better, why not go that route? especially if the dealer will still warranty it?

If the dealer does not use anyone local, then I would suggest just go with the factory system, especially if you are not one that wants to mess with it. On the same note, if you are worried about warranty, that only lasts so long, so is it something you will be happy with down the line? Now that I'm married with a little one, I don't need to be the loudest boat at the sandbar, but I can always upgrade for man's weekend :biggrin:

350 is plenty of motor with the right prop as the others have said.

Options if I were ordering a 13.

1. Surfgate

2. Snap Out Carpet

3. Heater - will extend your season

4. All ballast options

5. Extra Bags

6. Stereo is personal preference but I am happy with my factory stuff and I have installed custom systems

7. Power Wedge

8. GPS based Speed Control

9. Tower Mounted Mirror

10. Walk over transom plank

11. 1235 prop

12. Dual Batteries

13. Pop up cleats

I love my VLX just wish it had surfgate!

I have underwater lights and docking lights but they are unnecessary.

I second this and would add the aqua mat carpet. That stuff rocks! I have all the above except for surf gate and the plank because my wife said it would interfere with her lounging. LOL! I am happy with factory stereo as well.

• 2 months later...

Well, I did it!!! Thank you everyone for your help and input!

I ordered a 2013 Wakesetter VLX today! I am so STOKED!!! Dealership says it will be finished around the second week of April!

The options I ended up with were:

White Tower

2 Sets of White Alpha II 6x9's

Sound Pack 2

Bimini

Surfgate

bow ballast

snap out carpet

12" sub & amp

rear controls

bluetooth

2 outlet heater

docking lights

transom lights

pull up cleats 2 pair

dual batteries

plug & play

I am so excited to see it finished!!! It is a platinum/driftwood/white color scheme!

I just traded my 2012 VLX for a 2013 LSV. The main reasons were: 1. Surfgate and 2. Wife really wasn't happy with the size of the VLX. Once she sat in the LSV she was SOLD that we needed to upgrade. The VLX size was an issue for her when we had family plus friends on the boat.

My original decision to go with the VLX was for a better ski wake...but I think the ski wake on the 23LSV will still be ok and my wife being happy was a much bigger issue.

I did upgrade the engine to the 450 HP 6.2L LS3 engine on the 2013 LSV. I have never heard anyone say that they had "to much power":) I want to keep this boat for a long time and the engine is one feature you can't really swap out.

Having said that I did absolutely love my VLX. I put more hours on my boat last summer than any previous summer so that should tell you how amazing the bu's are ... skiing and wake boarding were great ... and surfing was ok. If I didn't trade my boat, I would have been adding ballast bags for a better surf wake.

I don't take delivery on the 2013 LSV until April/May so can't comment yet on LSV performance.

• 3 weeks later...

From all my research, the LSV will give you more room and a bigger, longer surf wake over the VLX, but not by THAT much. I think their wakeboard wakes are probably pretty comparable. As the other posters have commented, I think it's personal preference. Drive them both. Personally, I didn't feel a huge difference between the two boats, and the LSV is only about 5% more money. My guess is you could get by with the 350 in the VLX, but I'd upgrade to the Vette motor for the LSV, I guess that 5% difference is growing. :)

I think the design of the VLX is better. I like the striping down the side of the boat, the LSV is pretty vanilla to me, but that will probably change for '14.

Malibu is releasing a brand NEW 23 LSV for 2014. For me, this slows me down on buying a '13. When you're spending this kind of cake on a brand new boat you hate to see the newest model arrive the very next year. (I'm leaning away from the VLX and LSV and looking at the 24 MXZ).

A word about stereo systems. It seems that some are giving Malibu a bit of a bad wrap on the stock systems, but to my ear they sound amazing. A huge step up from the stock systems in the new Nautiques. My buddy has a 2012 V-Ride and his system totally thumps, I can only imagine that the systems on the Wakesetter's (with more and sometimes bigger speakers) is even better! If you're a stereo guy then I can see how you're picky, and that's OK ;) but if it's not your thing then the stock systems will be impressive.

Edited by darthwhitey

The motor issue is a common misconception between the LSV and the VLX. The 350 actually does better in the LSV than the VLX when planing for wakeboarding. The longer hull of the LSV actually allows the boat to plan easier. I know this, because I've experienced it, and I've confirmed this fact with the guys who test these boats for a living. Believe what you want though!