Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 VLX or 23 LSV

Marmonick

Ok, I have been wanting a new boat for the last couple years and I am finally ready to pull the trigger.

I have a few things that I like about each boat and a few things things I think are a draw back about each. So I am looking for your input to help me make a decision.

First off, my wife and I are wakeboarders mostly, but we do like to surf. We are probably, 60/40 wakeboarding. We have the rare skier as well.... It is usually with no more than 4-8 people at a time, but a few times a year I get a pretty big crew on it. I like the idea of the 23LSV because of the size. However, I am worried about having to put a Corvette motor in it and run premium gas just to get it to perform. I like the 21 VLX because it sounds like the performance is there for the boat and I also like the price point. These things are expensive enough! lol But am concerned in a few years when I start having a family I will be upset I didnt pony up for the bigger boat. Otherwise, I think about how differently they may handle when it comes to turning it around under power, or whether or not your are going to feel the boarder tug behind you with one or the other.

So what do you think? 21 VLX or 23 LSV.....Also, what about the Sunscape?

I hear you on the 21' vs 23' boat. Couple things: if you tow it then 21' wins, if you garage it 21' wins, if you ever want to ski 21' wins, if you care at all about fuel use 21' wins, if you regularly have more than 5peeps then 23' wins, if you surf then 23' wins, if you care about purchase price 21' wins. I've got the 21' winning 5 of 7. Now obviously some of these have more importance, wake being the biggest to most of us. If the 23 throws a better wakeboard wake then that might be enough to push it over the 21 for you. A better wake under all conditions(all speeds and ballast)would be the only reason for me to want a 21 over 23.

I will impart some of my Harley buying wisdom here. You can ride a Bagger just a slow as a Sportster and not have to worry about losing money because you won't have to trade up! If you are looking for a brand new boat then the 21 will look a lot better. If you are looking for a new to you boat, I bet you could find a 23 that fits your price. Size is a no brainer, however "convenient" storage space especially in a boat with the front MLS tank is a noticeable departure from a full open bow. The LSV has more cubic storage space, but my old 20.6' Moomba Outback-V w/o the front tank seemed to have had more convenient storage space. It is something you learn to live with, less girl gear which is how the issue came up! :)

Even in the supercharged engine that I owned I only occasionally ran 93 octane and hardly ever in my 350 Monsoon just 91. I just never felt or saw a difference in normal everyday use except in my wallet. You will see a difference in gas costs but mine is mostly attributable to my primary use surfing. For me it is a non-issue its just the coast of having family fun and the 350 Monsoon works great for me "after reproping". Quite surprisingly my LSV handles great for a 23' not as good as my old Moomba you definitely can't throw it around like a smaller boat. Wakeboarding with full MLS not an issue, surfing with an 1100 stuck in a corner and more on the seat forget about, its a pig! The 21 will take a lot less weight to get a nice surf pocket, but the 23 outshines the 21 when bagged for surfing. I am running the Acme 1235 (14.5x14.25) prop and it is a game changer from the stock 537 that I had and I love it for surf and wb'ing. Wb'ing wakes I can't comment on, I hear the 21 is a great stock wake my son says the 23s is rampier.

The hard core WB guys can chime in on the difference. As far as pulling the boat around when wb'ing the really good wb'ers and my gravitationally challenged friends that I pull are barely noticeable at the end of the rope. Slaloming in a 23', it's the wrong boat but works for the occasional limited runs my wife likes but way back! You’re not going to get a 21' straight into a standard garage with a 7' high door except maybe by turning it to opposite corners and dropping the air pressure in the tires, but I never had a true 21. Sunscapes have the same hull choices; just not all of the bells and whistles so cheaper price point. Bottom line test drive them and find the one that fits your budget. Good luck hunting, Bill.

Saying you gotta run premium gas in a 23 to get good performance is a false imperative. Not true.

A 23 with 6.0L 400hp would be a BEAST. Regular pumped gas.

Look in the boats for sale. 2012 demo with 50hrs $69k.... No surfgate though. Slam a 23 properly an it'll throw a massive surf wave. That 2012 would be perfect for that, has the 400hp.

The only reason I would go smaller is if the price pulled me that way.... Or if I was just that much into skiing.

Edited by nyryan2001

I have a 2011 VLX, love the boat, the wakeboard wake is one of the best I have ever seen for all level of riders, super clean at 17.5+, not many boats on the market can achieve this. I am not sure if the LSV wake is as clean at lower speeds, at higher speeds the LSV wake will be similar VLX but I noticed was a tad bit wider because of the 102" beam width. The LSV will definitely throw a better surf wake. If you dont typically pull beginner/intermediate riders at slower speeds, dont care about the wider wakeboard wake, and you surf more than I would go with the LSV for a better surf wake and larger boat with more storage and space.

I chose the VLX because of the wakeboard wake, fits in my garage easier, less weight when towing, will still accomodate 10 people without feeling too crowded, like the VLX lines and exterior styling. The VLX with the Monsoon 350 and Acme 1235 prop is plenty of power. If I were ordering an LSV I would definitely conside the 400+ HP motor, the boat weighs 500 more lbs than the VLX and is 18" longer.

Just my .02.... great problem to have!

Edited by Fman

I went from a 2011 vlx to 2012 lsv. I like the lsv more. It has more space, same clean wakeboard wake and better surf wake. The lsv is just as easy to trailer and haul as the vlx. The monsoon 350 does great in the lsv, but if you run tons of extra ballast then I would upgrade engines. I had 2 different people at the factory tell me they like the 350 over the 6.0 for low end torque for surfing, if the correct prop is used. Neither boat will fit Ina standard 22' garage so go with the lsv!

Plus, resell on lsv is crazy good. I have already had an offer on my 2012....seriously - and it isn't even listed as being for sale. LOL!

Edited by bamabonners

I went from a 2011 vlx to 2012 lsv. I like the lsv more. It has more space, same clean wakeboard wake and better surf wake. The lsv is just as easy to trailer and haul as the vlx. The monsoon 350 does great in the lsv, but if you run tons of extra ballast then I would upgrade engines. I had 2 different people at the factory tell me they like the 350 over the 6.0 for low end torque for surfing, if the correct prop is used. Neither boat will fit Ina standard 22' garage so go with the lsv!

Plus, resell on lsv is crazy good. I have already had an offer on my 2012....seriously - and it isn't even listed as being for sale. LOL!

Just curious, how many hours of use do have on your new LSV? Have you loaded it up with ballast for surfing? (Not hardtanks only, extra bags which it needs for surfing) Have you had 10 people on it with full ballast and power wedge? Wakeboarded behind the LSV? I thought you just bought it... I am only asking because I have been told the Monsoon 350 is not recommended for the LSV, it needs more power for surfing and wakeboarding.

Seems like 500-700 extra pounds in extra fuel, larger trailer, etc would all play some factor in towing? I know with my sequoia it definitely would.

Not sure I can agree on the LSV having better resale value, the VLX is Malibus number one selling boat in there entire lineup.

Edited by Fman

My wife loves the extra room in out 23lsv 350. We had 7 people wake boarding and surfing with absolutely no issues. I also use 93 oct fuel as its avail in our area with NO ethanol.

These questions are great, everybody has a right answer. Logic will always prevail that regardless of what you hear, your specific needs will determine what boat is right for you. One opinion: The larger the Malibu Wakesetter you buy the happier you will be for a longer period of time.

Cost of ownership is a funny perspective, the larger the boat; the more friends and toys you can fit in the boat; the more gas and food donations; which converts to more food, drink, gear and a larger wake. Justifying the addition of ballast is another almost automatic decision to any surfing crew but maybe not for the skier/wakeboarding family. I love the over the top sound systems and somehow justify bigger with more watts is better. It is even more fun to have 4 swivel racks and a Z5 Sports Rack with all the tower and underwater LED lighting. The cost of fuel is insignificant compared to the value of quality time spent on the water. I have never heard anyone say my boat is too big.

Hard to add to what has already been said, but for what its worth we had a VLX and are going to a 23 LSV. Here are my thoughts:

- VLX looks better IMO

- LSV will be better for room, deeper too

- Our dealer had an easier time getting a clean wave out of the LSV w/ Surf Gate

If we didn't want more room and wanted surf gate, we probably would have stayed with VLX. Really loved that boat!

Just curious, how many hours of use do have on your new LSV? Have you loaded it up with ballast for surfing? (Not hardtanks only, extra bags which it needs for surfing) Have you had 10 people on it with full ballast and power wedge? Wakeboarded behind the LSV? I thought you just bought it... I am only asking because I have been told the Monsoon 350 is not recommended for the LSV, it needs more power for surfing and wakeboarding.

Seems like 500-700 extra pounds in extra fuel, larger trailer, etc would all play some factor in towing? I know with my sequoia it definitely would.

Not sure I can agree on the LSV having better resale value, the VLX is Malibus number one selling boat in there entire lineup.

I only had a chance to put a few hours on it, but it didn't take long to notice the differences in space and surf wake.

I have had 9 hefties and all tanks full plus wedge and had no problems with power (acme 1235 prop). I have not tried it with additional sacks yet. Malibu factory rep and I had discussion on power for the lsv. They never indicated that the 350 was not recommended. I would say that it depends on your situation. The monsoon 350 will do the job for most people without any problems. They even said it is a little under rated on torque specs. Like I said, for those that run thousand pounds extra all the time or have 10 hefties in the boat every trip, then you should look at the additional horsepower. Same thing holds true for the vlx or any other boat as well. As for resell, I said it was really good, did not say better. in my opionion, based purely on the number that i saw being produced at the factory, I would think that the lsv has become the more popular of the two. I have no industry evidence to back this up, of course.

As for towing, I can't tell a difference between the two behind my Chevy 1500 with 6.2L.

Both are great and fill different needs for different folks. For us, we like the lsv.

Edited by bamabonners

You have a great problem In your hands! Having owned a VLX a 2008 LSV and now 2012 LSV I would say if you'll have 5 crew or more on most outings go for the LSV. We are at 145' over sea level and never needed more power. We usually surf with full stock ballast and a 750lbs on the surf side with wedge down and always had plenty of power. I always chose the monsoon for it's reliability and proven track record.

You won't be dissapointed either way.

Look in the boats for sale. 2012 demo with 50hrs $69k.... No surfgate though. Slam a 23 properly an it'll throw a massive surf wave. That 2012 would be perfect for that, has the 400hp.

Minor correction... The boat you speak of is a 2011. Same as a 2012 except it won't have quick fill ballast (bigger pumps and fatter lines on the 12's) or auto pull up.

I have had 9 hefties and all tanks full plus wedge and had no problems with power (acme 1235 prop). I have not tried it with additional sacks yet. Malibu factory rep and I had discussion on power for the lsv. They never indicated that the 350 was not recommended. I would say that it depends on your situation. The monsoon 350 will do the job for most people without any problems. They even said it is a little under rated on torque specs. Like I said, for those that run thousand pounds extra all the time or have 10 hefties in the boat every trip, then you should look at the additional horsepower.

If I were getting the LSV, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 350 Monsoon. I don't want to turn this thread into one of those threads that only gearheads can understand, but I am pretty sure that the torque curves are remarkably similar until you are up into an RPM range that no one wakeboards in.

I have noticed that you can't get the 350 in a 247 at all. Have never seen one. But MC has put that engine in some X45's, FWIW.

We have a VLX, and we love it. But if I'm being honest, the only reason it's not an LSV is garage space.

I don't think my Denali XL would notice the extra 500lbs. And I'm positive we wouldn't notice any difference is wakeboard wake. To the extent the surf wave is better (based on multiple reports I've read), I'd welcome that since we're just starting to get serious about surfing. The extra storage would also be welcome. And more room for everybody to lay out is a good thing.

If the LSV had transome seating like the MXZ and side countours like the VLX, it would be the ideal boat, IMHO. Maybe that's going to be in the next re-design. I wonder how far away that is. The current LSV has been unchanged since 2008.

I have tried all 3, VTX, VLX and LSV. LSV hands down has the most room especially when you have 8 people its nice to spread out more. I think the smaller you go the better the factory wake. I added 2-1100 sacs to by LSV to help me out when I have 2 people on the boat and I am trying to wakeboard. Something else I would consider is the water depth, the LSV has the highest draft and therefore maybe an issue for some people. I had 150' of dock and I had to sink my hydraulic lift into the sand every year to compensate. Was it worth it, yea IMO.

I have a '10 VLX and my buddy a '10 LSV. Both have the 350 in them, we're both running a 1235 prop, so stock to stock we are the same. Differences

-Vlx has a little bit more of top speed, smaller boat with same engine, so that makes sense

-LSV obviously has more room as it is bigger

-LSV burns through fuel a little faster, but again, same engine working a little harder.

-VLX can operate on certain lakes that put a size restriction on the vessel. We have a few places like that out here, mainly private though

-I can't tell any difference in towing, but I have a diesel as my tow vehicle

- surf wake is larger stock on the LSV, but not that stock waves are all that much to brag about. It does tend to take more weight to get a good wave in the LSV than the VLX, but we're not huge on surfing. Although as age increases, I imagine that will change

Honestly, we both had 2002 vlx and LSV, then we both upgraded to '10s, and aside from the obvious upgrades in technology, the same pros and cons exist as before, room and storage. when we were younger and single (damn getting old sucks), we would roll in a group of 30 out to the river, so we would pack our boats out, (didn't need ballast bags). My personal feeling are people take too much crap onto the water with them, so how much storage do you need? We regularly put 8 adults on the boat and we are comfortable. Obviously the bigger the boat, the more room you have, but i love my VLX. Also parking on the docks sometimes works in my favor with a smaller boat as they fill up and people aren't also thinking of others and leave big gaps between boats.

Both boats are awsome. You will be happy either way. I think your biggest factors to consider is storage and how much space you need in the boat

Edited by wakebrdr94

You haven't mentioned what type of water you most regularly frequent? Large water the LSV will handle chop better than the VLX. The downside to the LSV is it's easier to chili dip when fully loaded