Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning hull bottom

wakesetter8796

Our boat sits for maybe 2 hours sometimes and accumulates some white substance. Would the Tony's tonic stuff work on that? What would? Would waxing on the bottom prevent the stuff from coming back?

The things on our boat might or might not be water spots, though I have never tried putting hot sauce on the bottom, it is very hard since the boat is on a lift.

Unless you are from the land of sunshine, fruits and nuts you should be able to find the LTBC in the 9.5% solution in most any store. I haven't lived on the left coast since '91 so it may be too dangerous to sell there now.:) Best of all its not harmful to the hull.

• 5 months later...

Hydrogen Peroxide and Blue Lysol Toilet bowl cleaner mixed half and half = Tony's Tonic. I can't say if it will work on your boat but after trying several different solutions that didn't work this stuff worked for me. I spent hours scrubbing my hull and made minimal difference. Sprayed this stuff on and all the discoloration was gone.

Hydrogen Peroxide and Blue Lysol Toilet bowl cleaner mixed half and half = Tony's Tonic. I can't say if it will work on your boat but after trying several different solutions that didn't work this stuff worked for me. I spent hours scrubbing my hull and made minimal difference. Sprayed this stuff on and all the discoloration was gone.

:plus1:

My Lysol with the 9.5% HCL is in a black bottle. You can buy the Lysol with bleach, hydrochloric acid, or alkyl. Look on the back of the bottle to get the right one.

Edited by electricjohn

You need to buff the boat with compound then wax after of you use this stuff. It will etch the gel coat and it will happen again very quickly. If you dont smooth the surface back out, the staining will get into all those pores and start over.

The tonic will remove all waxes or other protective coatings. I have not noticed any reaction with the gel coat though.

My delivery of Star Brite Instant Hull Cleaner. The active ingredient is oxalic acid and it comes with the warning that it might damage low quality decals.

I'm a bit concerned about the Wakesetter decal on my boat. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the issue?

Tonys Tonic is great and what I use at year end but for a quick touch up while the boat sits on the lift I have been using Slimy Grimy and it does a good job at getting off the crud that builds up from our dirty mud bottom lake. http://www.amazon.com/Slimy-Grimy-Granular-Tub-1-Pound/dp/B0000AXNLW/ref=sr_1_27?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1368802709&sr=1-27&keywords=boat+hull+cleaner