Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Indmar 8.1L Engine Removal

Big Jay D

I need to pull the engine out of a friends X-45. I'm looking for a service manual to show me how the transmission connects to the engine. I need to know if the engine will come out without pulling the trans/v-drive. Is there any connection between the transmission and the flywheel by means of a fastener?

It will probably be easier to take the whole thing out as one unit and un attach the trans out side of the boat. The trans bolts to the bell housing around the outside perimeter. On a Malibu there is at least one bolt on each side that cannot be removed due to the trans mount, so you'll have to remove the whole unit, then remove the mount, then unbolt and remove the trans from the bell housing. The trans couples to the flywheel/damper plate internally by a splined shaft. It just slides back once all the bolts are removed. Probably too much bind working inside the boat to get things seperated, especially with the engine hanging from a lift. Having it all outside the boat also gives you a good oportunity to check everything for leaks, clean even where no one ever looks and touch up paint as necessary.

I have pulled the engine out of many things. Never a boat. I always leave the trans in the car/truck (except FWD) without an issue. The engine is ready to come out. All the water lines, fuel line, EFI harness, starter, etc are all off and out of the way. I guess I need to crawl in there and take a good hard look at the trans, v-drive and the mounts to see if it is really necessary to pull the entire unit. It will be really easy to move the engine away from the trans/bellhousing if the trans connects the same way as say an engine with a manual transmission auto.

If I could find a damn picture on the internet that shows the flywheel/dampner that connects to the transmission I would be set. Indmar sure makes it harder than it has to be.

i'll bet a dollar to a doughnut the splined transmission input shaft and the flywheel/damper are exactly as you remember it in the automotive applications.

here is half of the picture you asked for: link to indmar damper plate

fwiw the splined shaft in my rig is very short and stubby (mentioned because my automotive manual trans. pulling experience was a long time ago (1970ish) and iirc the splined shaft was maybe 4" to 6" long).

obtw, depending on hours, rig usage and engine output torque spec. you might want to consider swapping out damper plates while you are looking at it. the job will never be easier and if you don't i'd bet that it fails at the peak of next season.

Its just a splined shaft but have fun sliding the engine far enough back to get it out. Every engine compartment with and 8.1 I've seen does not have the clearance to do it.

Its just a splined shaft but have fun sliding the engine far enough back to get it out. Every engine compartment with and 8.1 I've seen does not have the clearance to do it.

I can totally see that in a 'bu but this MC X45 has about 18". LOADS of room.

i'll bet a dollar to a doughnut the splined transmission input shaft and the flywheel/damper are exactly as you remember it in the automotive applications.

here is half of the picture you asked for: link to indmar damper plate

fwiw the splined shaft in my rig is very short and stubby (mentioned because my automotive manual trans. pulling experience was a long time ago (1970ish) and iirc the splined shaft was maybe 4" to 6" long).

obtw, depending on hours, rig usage and engine output torque spec. you might want to consider swapping out damper plates while you are looking at it. the job will never be easier and if you don't i'd bet that it fails at the peak of next season.

The dampener plate has been replaced already. It failed and took out the bellhousing in the process. Thanks for looking out though!

They come apart just like a manual gearbox in a car but don't have the clutch, done heaps and for a couple of extra bolts take the whole lot out as its a lot easier to get the gearbox back on the engine out of the boat. Also make sure you get a genuine damper plate as some of the aftermarket ones are not built to take the stresses that the 8.1 can dish out.

• 6 years later...

I know this is an older thread, I have a 2004 LSV Wakesetter with the 8.1L that we need to pull the engine. I just wonder if anyone has tried this on this large boat? Was there enough room to pull the trans and V-drive out all at the same time? Any insight would be great!

On 10/17/2019 at 1:28 PM, Surfbinder said:

I know this is an older thread, I have a 2004 LSV Wakesetter with the 8.1L that we need to pull the engine. I just wonder if anyone has tried this on this large boat? Was there enough room to pull the trans and V-drive out all at the same time? Any insight would be great!

I haven't tried it, but my impression is that one would remove enough of the interior to allow lifting the engine and vee drive as a unit.  You only need a little clearance if you are careful, and extra clearance won't help if you aren't careful... but I would still want the nearby interior panels and cushions away from the mess just to help keep from inviting Murphy's Law beyond what is necessary.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:28 AM, Surfbinder said:

They will come out together.  The clearances are tight, but if you have a buddy and a good lift mechanism you should be fine.  

Personally, I would not attempt this without a gantry crane or a similar fixed lift.  I've pulled motors with cherry-pickers, forklifts, backhoes, everything you can imagine.  But pulling the motor out of the boat is unique because your point of lift is higher - both your lifting arm and the engine/trans must clear the gunnel, which is higher than most automotive applications.  

Sounds like fun surgery.  Share some pics with your setup.

That is great news about it all coming out together, we have an overhead crane system and a skyjacker to boot! The boat has a Jasper Engine, unfortunately failed with about 220 hours. So on to a different, better construction/company rebuild. It will be a few months before we do that job but I will keep you posted!

• 3 months later...

Finally purchased my new 8.1L vortec. Just wondering, I believe I need to take the ski pylon out, does anyone know if I need to take the frame that hold the pylon out as well? I have a photo of what I am talking about but can't seem to figure out how to insert it here.