Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PP Paddlewheel Install Position

Can someone provide an exact location/position (maybe measured from the fins or the drain plug) of where their Perfect Pass Paddlewheel is installed on their 2000 (or similar year) Malibu Response LX.

I am planning on installing one this spring to upgrade my PP Plus to a full Pro model. My BU HAS the factory installed Depth Guage/Sounder, so it is located about 6 inches to the left of the drain on the port side (boat is in storage so I don't have the exact measurements right now). I added that bit of info because it is the through hull transducer, and i think that is where the paddlewheel normally goes, so i don't know where the factory puts it if you have both.

Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

John

Edited by jgouveia3

I have an '00 SLXi with the factory depth finder and ended up installing my PP paddlewheel about 6" right of center at app. the same fore/aft position. I played around with several locations before settling on that one and it's worked out great.

thanks for the info. is that about in line with the raw water intake on that hull (and hopefully no ill effects)?

I don't remember if it's in line with the raw water intake but probably pretty close. It's a good couple of feet in front of the intake though (ours is at the back of the engine compartment). I didn't have a lot of choices and this seemed to be the best of them.

Our paddlewheel sits just behind the panel at the front of the engine compartment. Easy enough to get to when you need to but out of the way most of the time.

I suggest following the PP instructions Crazy.gif

the PP instructions I have aren't really specific about that. As I have seen others have problems in the past, I am just trying to get some experience from some people who have the same setup as mine, especially since I have the thru hull transducer in my boat.

I have sent a note to the factory and to PP for a reply.

I agree - good to check both methods (factorting in common knowledge) My PP came with very specific instructions as to where to mount for my hull.

Good luck, it is a pretty easy install, once you get over having to cut a 2" hole in the bottom of your boat

I agree - good to check both methods (factorting in common knowledge) My PP came with very specific instructions as to where to mount for my hull.

Good luck, it is a pretty easy install, once you get over having to cut a 2" hole in the bottom of your boat

yeah, i am sweating that out now, and i am not going to even start that for a few weeks.

i only just bought the paddle wheel (since the boat already has perfect pass plus), so no instructions on where to install. I am hoping that someone that has the same hull WITH the in hull transducer can show me a picture or give some measuresments.

yeah, i am sweating that out now, and i am not going to even start that for a few weeks.

i only just bought the paddle wheel (since the boat already has perfect pass plus), so no instructions on where to install. I am hoping that someone that has the same hull WITH the in hull transducer can show me a picture or give some measuresments.

Definitely give PerfectPass a call. Their customer service is awesome to work with. I bet they have a PDF of the install guide or will mail one out to you. They are in Eastern Canada so you'll want to call early in the day.

I must have called them half a dozen times to make sure I understood everything before I started the install.

By the way, I highly recommend using one of the "grit" holesaws. They take longer to cut through but the hole was very neat and clean...

I am hoping that someone that has the same hull WITH the in hull transducer can show me a picture

John, when are you doing this? I can try to get some pics for you this weekend.

I am hoping that someone that has the same hull WITH the in hull transducer can show me a picture

John, when are you doing this? I can try to get some pics for you this weekend.

vin, Thanks!

not for at least a month (boat is stored away for at least until after our spring Carribean cruise with the kids!!), so any pictures would be great!

I did get some feedback from Aaron at PP (he said most likely put it in front of the raw water intake or the transducer, but i wouldn't have easy access in front of the transducer). The bummer is he said that I need a new Module to hook up the paddlewheel, the PP Plus module is NOT compatible with it - I thought is was....

Edited by jgouveia3