Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Bearings

Do the boatmate trailer have the see through glass I can't see nothing in my axles. Glass does not seem to be clear. We're they paint from the factory?

Edited by BFWAKE75

No issues to date, until total catastrophic failure destroying the bearings and hub/axle, leaving you hopefully only stranded and not wrecked off the highway. Also, I would really like to know how your mechanic inspects these without completly disassembling them and replacing the hybrid grease/oil only available through UFP. I imagine he looks for leakage and calls it serviced, since they are are no service required. Sorry, but less issues, NO issues are not a guarantee, and when they fail you will be without your trailer for six weeks while UFP builds a new torsion axle for you. I have a 2008 trailer that I've replaced all for sets of pads, one caliper, both axles and the reverse solenoid. So much for no issues.

if something is going to happen, its going to happen. Ive heard a lot more stories and expierenced grease bearings going out on the middle of the highway, I hear far less failures about oil bath and vaults, and have no issue myself. I'm good

Do the boatmate trailer have the see through glass I can't see nothing in my axles. Glass does not seem to be clear. We're they paint from the factory?

My 03 does. My hubs are made by a company called unique functional products (UFP). Mine are the Gold series. The sight glass is kind of brown in color and hard to tell it's there when the hub are full, as they should be.

I have an 07 extreme with the gold series UFP oil bath. This year they are getting converted. They were solid for two years on the oil bath. Since then I have had to replace outer orings every year and last year twice on same hub.

When I pulled out for a Thanksgiving run two blew on the way home. Wish I was with the majority of the no problems, but I am not. Grease is insurance for at least a few miles. Been towing race car trailers for years, only using grease.

BTW my oil bath lenses were a brown or yellow color from the begining. Couldn't ever tell if water got in, but could tell if the level dropped.

My $.02 worth

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody have any info on the seal needing replaced if I have to add fluid? Also what type of fluid? Boatmate trailer

This is my first trailer with the oil baths. Granted the trailer is an 04, but I have two seals completely gone and oil all over the wheel/tire. I am going to attempt to fix the seals but am very weary of these oil baths compared to grease type. Bearing buddies and an occasional grease check worked very well for me over the years. But I will give the oil a shot...