Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

synthetic oil users

I made the switch to synthetic oil last year and I believe I used Mobil 1 15-50w. Is that o.k.? Maybe I should have stayed with regular oil but did it anyway and I know you are not supposed to go back. What weight should I be using with synthetic down in Alabama?

Mobile 1 15W-50 is probably ideal for the heat of Alabama...I know from previous discussions that many on this site use it. It is probably not necessary and more expensive, but not a big deal only changing once or twice a year. Maybe one of the experienced wrench-turners among us can comment on the switch from conventional to synthetic for a season, then back to conventional, but I don't think it would hurt anything in a newer engine to switch back if you wanted to. As always, ICBW.

(no 88, I've never seen a 15-40 in Mobil 1 synthetic)

Edited by HRemington

I use synthetic oil in my truck, but it's a wom in the boat since you change it every 50 hours. Amsoil does make a synthetic 15w-40 btw. Also there isn't an issue of switching between dino oil and synthetic. I personally use the long neck oil filter to carry just a little more oil.

I use synthetic oil in my truck, but it's a wom in the boat since you change it every 50 hours. Amsoil does make a synthetic 15w-40 btw. Also there isn't an issue of switching between dino oil and synthetic. I personally use the long neck oil filter to carry just a little more oil.

Same here.

The big benefit to me is 2 oil changes per year. Indmar says to change it at 50 hours regardless of synthetic or not. I just switched my new Silverado over to Amsoil at 6,000 miles. I also changed the differentials and transfer cases over to it. $300.

My mechanic says the Amsoil is worth putting in the boat even if I change it every 50 hours but, I'm happy with Valvoline dino.

I use Castrol Synthetic in mine & my wifes GMCs, my daughters Interpreter (thats what she called it the first time she read the lettering on the trunk). I do this to slow down the wear so I can drive them longer if I don't get "newcaritus" before they wear out. I sometimes use the synthetic in the boat out of "love" I guess, but back to the logic - when have we ever seen a ski boat "wear out" an engine, they just nver go that far I guess.

Switching back and forth is not an issue anymore. Both syn and dino are compatable with each other(hence, todays blend oils). 15w-50 might be a little thick at operating tempature. The 50 represents the viscosity at operating temp(~212 F.). Mobil oils run a bit thin, so using the M1 might not hurt. Other brands might not be thin enough at O.T. to get into tight spots. Any SM grade oil today, dino or syn. is a very good lube. Syns big advantage is the extended change cycles, which really don't apply to boaters with our short seasons. But either could run for 200+ hrs.

What about oil filters? If I am using synthetic oil (15 - 50), do I use a special kind of oil filter. I have been using Fram PH30.

Malibu told me to use mineral oil until 100 hours and synthetic was like letting the handbrake off. I'm not so sure as my mate builds 2,000hp Chevy race motors and he uses Valvoline mineral oils.

Malibu told me to use mineral oil until 100 hours and synthetic was like letting the handbrake off. I'm not so sure as my mate builds 2,000hp Chevy race motors and he uses Valvoline mineral oils.

????????

He said, "Malibu told him to use regular oil until he had 100 hours on the engine. After 100 hours, using synthetic should free up the motor a bit. He's not sure he agrees with the advice, however, because his friend builds monster motors and still uses regular oil."

That's what I thought he was talking about but wasn't sure about mineral oil and handbrakes. Thanks for the interpretation.

So it sounds like on a few year old boat with around 200 hours which the last 70 hours where used with synthetic, it is alright to go back to regular oil.

He said, "Malibu told him to use regular oil until he had 100 hours on the engine. After 100 hours, using synthetic should free up the motor a bit. He's not sure he agrees with the advice, however, because his friend builds monster motors and still uses regular oil."

Beautifully explained my friend.

But does a "2,000hp Chevy race motor" go 100 hours between total teardowns? Dontknow.gif I don't know...but I doubt it.

But does a "2,000hp Chevy race motor" go 100 hours between total teardowns? Dontknow.gif I don't know...but I doubt it.

Eh.. good point

I use the Napa Gold 1069 oil filter, its the long neck version.

I use this one as well. I used to use Fram filters until I saw one cut open at a NAPA store. Not much filter material in them. I'm told Amsoil has stopped making their own filters and now recommends Napa Gold.

I'm trying the Castrol synthetic blend this year with a Fram LG-5 filter. It's 5W-40.

Be careful since some oils are labeled synthetic but are only partially synthetic and not a full sinthetic like mobil 1.

Hopefully these will help:

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/index.htm

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterst...ilterstudy.html

http://mcgeerf.tripod.com/americansyntheticoil/id17.html

http://bobtheoilguy.server101.com/

I at first switched to the Mobil 1 15-50 a couple of years ago, but when I winterized this time, I went back to good ol Chevron Delo 15-40 diesel rated this year. Indmar is pretty emphatic about that weight, voiding warranty, etc., so it didn't seem to make sense to go against the manufacturer's rec. Besides, in honor of MIA former member Rutat, it's just the right thing to do, as it was always "any diesel-rated 15-40 will do, as long as it's Valvoline"....but I'm not buying Valvoline until he posts on this site again. GROUP BOYCOTT!

Be sure the API grade for the synthetic oil meets what Malibu's manual specifies. The Chevron diesel meets that standard - which is a really high one.