Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does fuel injector cleaner work? scam?

Anyone have any data if fuel injector cleaner actually works? I use Lucas in my vehicles, and once during my spring start up in the boat.... I always wonder if it is a waist of money? Anyone have any data or testing on different brand cleaners?

Edited by Fman

I agree with six. Simply running injector cleaner through the tank isn't going to do much. However products like sea foam can be more effective at cleaning the bigger issue, carbon deposits throughout the induction system. IMHO.

Went to college for this and worked at a parts house to pay for it. The good ones work. I use Lucas but sea foam is great too. The only others I would use is STP and Marvel Mystery Oil. Marvel is also great for the oil for a tapping hydraulic lifter and clogged piston rings. One other thing Lucas is also good for helping heat up your exhaust to clean the oxygen sensor and catalytic converter.

Agree with above also I have seen it fix a injector acting up and a regulator that was sticking. I use it about twice a year in everything I have with a motor.

All gasoline has a federal minimum amount of fuel injector cleaner. In the early 90's that minimum amount was increased due to deposit build up on intake valves of fuel injected engines. At the time, I was doing a job at a Mobil chemical research facility building a reactor for injector and valve cleaner. They were trying to capture a market that was owned by Chevron to supply this cleaner to all other gas refining companies. Chevron called their product Techron (sound familiar?). Although Mobils cleaner worked very well, they could not get any other refiner to use their cleaner, being it was inferior to Techron. Mobil continued using their product in Mobil and Exxon gas till they left the refining business along with Exxon. After that the 2 reactors, both of which I worked on building, were mothballed after a 20 year run.

I asked myself the same question and inspected a set of injectors before and after running a tankful of gas with cleaner. Yes it works, it will remove the crud off the injector nozzles. I prefer Techron or the STP stuff in the silver bottle.

Most automotive (and some marine) additives are really for maintenance. Used on a regular basis, they can help prevent what they claim to address. In regards to injector cleaning additives, they will not clean an injector with a stuck or gummed up pintal in any short period of time. It would take a higher concentration then recommended and more frequent. If you are experiencing a driveability symptom that is traced to an injector or more isolate the root cause and replace the questionable injectors. Injectors can fail both mechanically or electrically, so diagnosing the symptom is necessary

• Like 1

Most automotive (and some marine) additives are really for maintenance. Used on a regular basis, they can help prevent what they claim to address. In regards to injector cleaning additives, they will not clean an injector with a stuck or gummed up pintal in any short period of time. It would take a higher concentration then recommended and more frequent. If you are experiencing a driveability symptom that is traced to an injector or more isolate the root cause and replace the questionable injectors. Injectors can fail both mechanically or electrically, so diagnosing the symptom is necessary

Totally agree