Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BMW X5 towing question

Soon2BV

I have always towed with a truck or truck frame van, but may replace my truck and equinox with a nicer sport utility. I really like the BMW X5 but wonder how they are with towing and what engine is needed. It is hard to find the information on the BMW website

Please don't turn this into a debate about other tow vehicles, I am just wanting to learn about the X5.

My wife also likes the x5 but it has a 6k pound weight limit no matter what engine. We are hoping the redesigned x5 for 2014 will be able to tow more. I just weighed my 2011vlx and it weighs 5800 with an empty gas tank. That's way too close to the limit for me. Weigh your boat fully loaded.

I towed a 24ft enclosed race trailer with an X5 6 cyl stick. Also, I towed the same trailer with a cayenne S and then a cayenne turbo. The real problem wasn't hp but the wheel base. In high winds, the vehicle got very scary!!!!!! I only trailered with the sport uts on rare occasions when I didn't take my 40 ft motor home to tow with. A couple of times, I was coming home from a weekend of racing, and I almost pulled off because of wind pushing me off the road. After one very scary tow, I got home, bought a 3/4 ton pickup. It took a lot to get me scared while towing. I would go 75-80 mph in the motor home, all 66ft.

By the way, the X5 was my favorite sport ute I ever had. I took it ice racing, after disabling all the electronic BS, it was awesome. The cayennes, not so much.

The X5 is hampered by its wheelbase for the most part, general size, and engine, though the diesel and M would be beast. It's a midsize unibody, so it won't tow like a suburban, though the touareg is an exeption. So in a nutshell, probably not the best.

I would pay close attention to the mfg rated tow capacity. If you are pushing the limit on the X5 I would find a lighter boat trailer combo or look for a different tow vehicle. The X5 will be fine if comfortably within the rated capacity. When you get close to the rated capacity of any tow vehicle you may be fine 99% of the time. The down side is the other 1% can destroy your truck and or boat or worst case kill you, your passengers or other folks sharing the road with you.

We are all inclined to assume we will never encounter those conditions that the 1% can bring about. Once you are at or over the rated capacity that 1% becomes a much larger percentage. Bigger boats are great but they have a down side that you make need a tow vehicle really designed for towing vs. a typical SUV.

These vehicles tow phenomenally well. Wouldn't hesitate to tow even a little above the max rating, depending on the towing conditions.

I would recommend checking with your insurance company - if you are exceeding the rated towing capacity I think you'll find that they won't cover you if you have an accident :(

These vehicles tow phenomenally well. Wouldn't hesitate to tow even a little above the max rating, depending on the towing conditions.

This is terrible advice. As other have wisely counseled, stick to tow vehicles that have more than enough row rating, not less.

Edited by IXFE

The X5 is hampered by its wheelbase for the most part, general size, and engine, though the diesel and M would be beast. It's a midsize unibody, so it won't tow like a suburban, though the touareg is an exeption. So in a nutshell, probably not the best.

Not entirely true. I tow my 23LSV with a V10 Touareg... about the same wheel base as an x5.. maybe even shorter. The Touareg tows better than my longer wheelbase Q7 TDI sibling (wife's car). I'm not sure how the Germans do it.. but the Touareg with the short wheelbase tows better than my Armada and Tundra did... far more stable...honestly can't feel the boat back there even in high winds, high speeds, etc. I do have huge brakes... so it stops on a dime as well. My Q7 and Touareg have the optional air suspension which makes a huge difference... which more cars were available with 4 wheel air susp to keep everything level and in control. I looked at the X5 and loved it but it didn't offer as good of a towing experience and stability as the Toaureg or the Q7... but I still think it does better than most think. IF you go with an X5 look into one with the optional rear load leveling suspension. If you are open to other options then look at a Q7 TDI with Air susp or a new Cayenne TDI with air susp (or a used ( 2009 or older) Touareg with air susp (sadly 2010 and newer Touareg's aren't offered with the Air Suspension in the US (every other market in the world has it as an option but we get screwed here.) Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for all the feedback and options. I am off a week at Christmas so plan to do some looking and driving.

I have a 21' LSV, so i may be close to the limit on the X5, not sure. We are moving towards more and more of just going between the storage unit and the lake (5 miles), so if I am close i would be ok, as long as I am not over.

Here you go. You don't need to speak German to get this one.

Doesn't sound like stock. Seems to have upgraded wheels and tires as well. And the recall seat isn't stock either. Petty impressive for a SUV however.