Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement of brass T-handle drain plug

That is true for iron and galvanzied piping connections (that some sort of pipe sealant or teflon is used)..But for brass NPT and NPFT fittings, brass threads are malliable enough to "reshape" and seal w/o the use of teflon or other pipe sealants when tightened (compressed) as per specifications.

If the boat plug leaks, it is primarily casue it was not properly torqued/tightened.

As per ASTM, teflon or a number of pipe dope(s) is typically recommended for both steel and brass connections so the connection properly seals and does not seize, if removal is ever needed. A lubricant such as teflon is always used when using SS, as it galls much easier than other materials...specially when being field threaded. Different pipe lubricants and sealants are dependent on the pipe material and what the pipe is transporting,

Torque is real important. But if we are using the connection much, I think that using an anti-size type sealant is the way to go (?).

I started using Rectorseal 5 with all my irrigation hose equipment. So far so good!

Anyone have any experience with the stuff?

PS In Japan whenever work was done on my 305 and I asked about torque spec, this 72-yr-old retired (?) Japanese marine mechanic (who loved skiing) would simply smile and nod up and down and tap on his arm. Universal language. Everytime I asked him the value, I wrote down the answer (N-m). He was never wrong.

• Like 1

Not to sound dumb but what is the purpose of removing the T handle plugs regularly ? I wasn't aware of a need for that.

Thanks

Claudio

I remove mine each time...allows some air flow thru the bilge, so it keeps the bilge smelling as fresh as a daisey. Just have a system to ensure you put it back in.....A ski buddy who has a Nautique, always puts in in the cup holder next to the steering wheel..some hang it from the steering wheel.

And if you trailer it home, allows whatever water is in the bilge to slosh around and outta the boat.

Torque is real important. But if we are using the connection much, I think that using an anti-size type sealant is the way to go (?).

I started using Rectorseal 5 with all my irrigation hose equipment. So far so good!

Anyone have any experience with the stuff?

PS In Japan whenever work was done on my 305 and I asked about torque spec, this 72-yr-old retired (?) Japanese marine mechanic (who loved skiing) would simply smile and nod up and down and tap on his arm. Universal language. Everytime I asked him the value, I wrote down the answer (N-m). He was never wrong.

Worked at WPPSS out at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation few years/decades back...all piping was SS....ya torque em down enough, and ya get to know the feel when snug. Never heard of Rectorseal...but I am sure there are lots of differenent products out there....I am sure piping on any of the military stuff needs to be done just right and could see some stress not seen on the civilian side.

An aviation mechanic (friend of a friend) was helping me install heads on my T/A in college. I asked him to get the torque spec out of the book as I was positioning the head. He says "Ah, that's easy - tighten them 'till they squeak, then back 'em off a quarter turn". He was joking, but it took me a few seconds to come to grips with those words. Funny stuff. So that's my standard answer too now.

• Like 1