Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement of brass T-handle drain plug

I snapped one of the brass T-handle bilge drain plugs of my 2005 iRide. Want to buy a replacement online, but can't seem to find the one that matches what I have. The letters MH are engraved on the handle and it seems to be 1" plug. Any suggestions where I can order the same T-handle are very welcome. Also, can I just order a T-handle from a different brand (e.g Perko), or should I replace the complete drain when I switch to different brand.

The t-handle plug doesn't need to actually go in that tight.....by hand (firmly) should be sufficient. What helps with making a complete water tight seal is a couple wraps of plumbers tape when installing it...

Actually should be water tight w/o the teflon tape,water tight due to its tapered fit and being brass it is more malliable than steel or SS. Malibu had to replace both male and female parts on our '10 because it would not seat properly. but the teflon tape would keep both parts from becoming one after not being removed for years.

JayG - Did you ever get the T-handle out?

I have an '03 that I purchased in '10. I have tried several times to remove the T-handle and it just won't budge. I have soaked it several times in PB Blaster, etc. I am pulling on it so hard that I'm concerned the female part is going to somehow wreck the fibreglass. I don't know if the prior owner put Loctite on the treads, but this just won't turn. Anyone have any ideas how to release it?

Actually should be water tight w/o the teflon tape,water tight due to its tapered fit and being brass it is more malliable than steel or SS. Malibu had to replace both male and female parts on our '10 because it would not seat properly. but the teflon tape would keep both parts from becoming one after not being removed for years.

Well, if you're a plumber then you know that the tapered fit on an NPT fitting doesn't make it water tight.....hence the existence of teflon plumber's tape......

Well, if you're a plumber then you know that the tapered fit on an NPT fitting doesn't make it water tight.....hence the existence of teflon plumber's tape......

has always been water tight in the half dozen+ DDs I have owned over the past 30 years...aside from the '10 and it was replaced by Malibu...why do valves for compressed gases like your oxygen and actylene use brass to brass valves/fittings, and just curious, but since NPT has been around for probably a good 150-200 years, what did folks use before teflon was available at Home Depot?? SInce teflon plumbers tape has only been around say 25 years?

Its tapered configuration does allow a water tight fit.

Edited by jkendallmsce

Crystal surf, The T handle on our boat is in an awkward spot. I use the box end of a wrench on the T to get more leverage. Has worked so far but its never been in for a long period of time.

Good luck

Issue is that bakes doesn't carry the 1". I assume I measured it correctly... (see image).

Jay, if the photograph is one of your actual plug as it came out of your boat, the reason it leaks is that there in no o-ring seal fitted. In this instance, the thread is not intended to be the water seal. The plug should only be just snugly installed by hand. The o-ring will do the rest.

Here's a pic of mine...

SteveG

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m601/flerd/MalibubilgeTPlug.jpg"]http://MalibubilgeTPlug.jpg

Edited by GreenMan

I had the same problem in my 05' Iride bought in July 11'. Got the one by the engine out with some super strength, the one in the locker was a different story. Even after several rounds of PB blaster and trying to get a wrench on it, had to bite the bullet and remove the whole assembly and replace with what I bought on bakes, probably same thing you bought. So i undid the screws (they weren't fiberglassed in or anything, came right out), pulled the whole assembly down (t handler already removed/broken off), and replaced it with brand new unit. I assume the previous owner and dealer service never took these out,as it was stored on the water. I now take out after every use

has always been water tight in the half dozen+ DDs I have owned over the past 30 years...aside from the '10 and it was replaced by Malibu...why do valves for compressed gases like your oxygen and actylene use brass to brass valves/fittings, and just curious, but since NPT has been around for probably a good 150-200 years, what did folks use before teflon was available at Home Depot?? SInce teflon plumbers tape has only been around say 25 years?

Its tapered configuration does allow a water tight fit.

Not so.

Ask any plumber,or gas pipe fitter, the teflon tape is used for a reason where either a water tight seal or a gas tight seal is needed.

Before teflon tape was around a tar-like gasket sealant was used.

People don't like to take the time to tape the NPT fitting, hence the fitting with the internal o-ring for a water-tight seal.

Edited by CliffB

Not so.

Ask any plumber,or gas pipe fitter, the teflon tape is used for a reason where either a water tight seal or a gas tight seal is needed.

People don't like to take the time to tape the NPT fitting, hence the fitting with the internal o-ring for a water-tight seal.

I agree. I've had multiple NPT things leak. I started using teflon tape or teflon liguid and stopped having the problem.

• Like 1

There are two types of pipe thread, tapered (3/4" per foot) and straight. Tapered threads are supposed to be watertight, straight threads are not. Teflon tapes purpose is not to make the threads watertight, but to act as a lubricant to make the threads up further. To be honest it looks like that plug with the o-ring has a straight thread, thereby the o-ring.

Edited by electricjohn
  • Like 1

JayG - Did you ever get the T-handle out?

I have an '03 that I purchased in '10. I have tried several times to remove the T-handle and it just won't budge. I have soaked it several times in PB Blaster, etc. I am pulling on it so hard that I'm concerned the female part is going to somehow wreck the fibreglass. I don't know if the prior owner put Loctite on the treads, but this just won't turn. Anyone have any ideas how to release it?

Yeah, did get the handle out using a wrench. Never had issues prior to it so not sure why it suddenly was stuck. If I could not have opened it with the wrench, my next move would have been to soak it in Coca-Cola :) ...although this is typically something I do when I deal with rusty objects.

Not so.

Yes, a relatively rough finished metal tapered thread is most unlikley to produce a tight seal. Before 'modern' thread tapes or liquid sealants, hemp or other rope materials were always used to seal tapered threads on the likes of iron pipe fittings. Typical tapered metal plumbing fittings are not accurately formed and are never likley to produce a tight metal-to-metal seal.

Never the less, I don't think o-ring seals arrived because of time or laziness - they are just better! They are more likley to produce a tight seal immediately and will do so without the need to heavily tighten the joint.

That is true for iron and galvanzied piping connections (that some sort of pipe sealant or teflon is used)..But for brass NPT and NPFT fittings, brass threads are malliable enough to "reshape" and seal w/o the use of teflon or other pipe sealants when tightened (compressed) as per specifications.

If the boat plug leaks, it is primarily casue it was not properly torqued/tightened.

As per ASTM, teflon or a number of pipe dope(s) is typically recommended for both steel and brass connections so the connection properly seals and does not seize, if removal is ever needed. A lubricant such as teflon is always used when using SS, as it galls much easier than other materials...specially when being field threaded. Different pipe lubricants and sealants are dependent on the pipe material and what the pipe is transporting,

Edited by jkendallmsce