Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need CGA Jacket suggestion for us tall folks

Nitrousbird

Wife wants an X-mas list and I would like another jacket. I have a non-CGA Helium LRS Patton Flak jacket currently. I like the jacket a lot and love the back support feature it has, but it is 100% unuseable for skiing and I think I'd rather have a CGA jacket for wakeboarding. I will still use this for surfing as I love the fit/feel of the jacket. I'm done using the ill-fitting, cheapy nylon vest when I go for a ski run.

I'm 6'3", 225 lbs, sporting a bit of a gut to go along with that. I want a jacket that is pretty long, looks good, and is comfortable. Anything $100 or less would be good. Suggestions?

As far as CGA goes the Helium SWAT I have is pretty nice. $100 at overtons and they have a 20% off code, probably for thanksgiving but I forget what the flyer said.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Helium-Team-S-W-T-Wake-Vest&i=38554&sw=true

A lot of people like the O'Neill Revenge CGA, it's also nice but I tried one on and wasn't really any better/worse than the SWAT. Felt like it could even have been a little heavier. Either would be fine though.

I have been using a Revenge CGA for the past 3 years and have been pretty happy with it. It seems like the foam is spread out over a larger area and not as thick as other CGA vests. I wear a non-CGA Oneil Checkmate too but only in shallow private lakes. The Revenge does feel a little more bulky but not by much for the added secure feeling of having a CGA vest on.

I'm 2 inches taller than you and 10 pounds heavier, I feel the fit is pretty good. Its longer than a lot of other vests and doesn't seem to ride up much when floating in the water. It has a lumbar support pad as well, it feels a little strange at first but definately makes a difference. I bought mine with out trying one on, not sure I would take that chance again but it turned out fine.

I just went through this a couple months ago. Went with the revenge and very happy with it. It felt longer than everything else I tried on, which included: cappela, hinge, hatch, jetpilot murray, law, one other?? It's not as lite as some but it makes up for it in comfort and I like the offset entry and concealed buckles.

• 1 year later...

Are there any comp vest that are CGA or at least will keep me afloat if I catch a toeside edge?

Radar X-vest is about as close to a comp vest as I've seen in a CGA. I love mine, plenty of rib protection and its not too bulky.

Size wise I'm 6ft/180lbs in a Large which fits nice and snug.

Edited by oldjeep

I have been using a Revenge CGA for the past 3 years and have been pretty happy with it. It seems like the foam is spread out over a larger area and not as thick as other CGA vests. I wear a non-CGA Oneil Checkmate too but only in shallow private lakes. The Revenge does feel a little more bulky but not by much for the added secure feeling of having a CGA vest on.

I'm 2 inches taller than you and 10 pounds heavier, I feel the fit is pretty good. Its longer than a lot of other vests and doesn't seem to ride up much when floating in the water. It has a lumbar support pad as well, it feels a little strange at first but definately makes a difference. I bought mine with out trying one on, not sure I would take that chance again but it turned out fine.

+1 for the revenge. I have that vest as well and it's great! It doesn't get in the way, it looks as cool as most comp vests, and it's plenty long for me (6'2")