Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Sunsetter LX - good for slalom?

Toronto Boater

I have come across a 2000 Malibu LX for sale. See attached link. Reasonably low hours and seems to be in good condition. I intend to use this boat primarily for slalom, but also for family use, hence the need for open bow. I slalom ski at relatively slow speeds (29-30) but am hoping to improve to 32. I ski the course ocassionaly. Is this boat suitable, or should I be waiting for a Sunsetter LXI, or Response? How is the slalom wake for this boat?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-2000-MALIBU-SUNSETTER-LX-W0QQAdIdZ430665738

Thanks.

That looks like a steal to me. A Response would have a slightly better wake. You have to weigh roominess vs. wake.

But dont get me wrong, the wake would be very nice. If it is close by, go for a ride !

Steve B.

Depends if it is diamond or wake hull.

It is on the wake hull. The wake is good for slaloms but a bit harder since its not on the diamond hull.

Btw the engine is a monsoon and rated for 325hp not 330hp.... not a big deal

Just a heads up that ad is a scam. The boat is in Florida at Ski Boat Solutions. I saw it on their website the other day and called about it. The asking price is $19,950 but it's a consignment boat and they will consider reasonable offers. It's probably worth about 16,000.

I own a '98 Sunsetter LX and I think the wake is very good for slalom - expecially at speeds over 30 mph. It's a very versatile boat, drop the wedge and a fill a couple bags and it's good for wakeboarding too. I appreciate the deep seating in the bow -- it makes me feel like the kids are safer riding up there. Overall a good, versatile boat. I would recommend the LXi if you can get your hands on one. The rear storage trunk is a definite bonus over the LX.

Just as a point of reference, I have the "wake" hull. I ski from 15 off to 35 off. My sister has an old stars and stripes Mastercraft.

Above 30, my wake is wider, but I dont think taller. And, where her's has like a curb at the start of the wake, I think mine is an easier transition.

Steve B.

While Kenny makes a great point about the diamond hull, I too have a Sunsetter LX and ski 15-22 off at 30-32. Above 30 the wake is very nice. Below 30, not so much. A couple guys I ski with that run into 32 off, 34 mph say it's pretty nice as well. As said before, it's a very versatile boat. That said, as soon as I get the OK from the CFO, I'll be seeking a diamond hull!

Thanks for all the replies. it looks like the ad was indeed a sham as Grandude suggested. I have emailed questions to the poster and received no reply. I should have been suspicious about the pics which show nice Florida greenery when all of the leaves have fallen off in Toronto...