Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Salt newbie help for V-Ride purchase!

ayork22

Hi everyone! New to the forum here & looking for any helpful insight :) I've been researching a lot now & have seen both sides of the fence. I'm hoping for confirmation on my findings.

Found a 07' V-Ride with only 67hours that is in excellent condition I am looking to purchase (never been used in salt thus far). I will be purchasing my own galvanized trailer. I live in Jacksonville, FL so I'll be mostly using in salt/brackish water. The inter-coastal will be fairly salty, but the St. Johns river is not nearly as salty as it's more brackish. I'll plan to run in both.

There is no closed cooling on the boat currently, but the advice I received is that is unnecessary as it doesn't help the risers. I will be taking meticulous care of the boat with flushing after each use, salt away, & maintenance ideas I've seen on other threads. I'm hoping to hear from owners who have experience running a non-salt series Malibu in salt & what their experience has been like?

Thanks everyone & hopefully will be a Malibu owner shortly!!!

Alex

If you are concerned about resale someday that I would slap on a closed cooling system on that thing. I believe that you can still get an aftermarket full loop closed cooling system. There are tons of other things you can do also like zincs and such but

i think if you get closed cooling and take good care of her she will be fine. If you have any other questions don't hesitate.

Hey, I'm also in Jax. I ride mainly in Black Creek but you are right that much of the river up here by town is brackish. As the others have said, as long as you are dilligent in caring for the boat, you should be fine. I have a buddy w/ a new-ish Tige that has been run exclusively in Julington Creek and the river. He has never had any issues. Shoot me a message if you want to ride some time. My boat is for sale but I am still using it when the weather cooperates. Also, feel free to message me with any questions about the local area/riding spots as I've been riding the area for years.

Edited by Tacostik

Wash boat with soap and water after each use and rinse thoroughly. Rinse trailer real good too. Casted exhaust manifolds would be your best choice, but I'm guessing you have the EXT's. Keeping engine temperature under 170 is critical. Replacing thermostat and impeller should be done annually, circulating pump every two years. I grew up on salt water and have been boating on it since 1963. I can not think of one boat problem that would be related exclusively to salt water. Trailers a bit different. Mainly axle and brake problems. My 1970 boat has been operating in salt water for 43 years, still going strong.