Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub Box replacement on a 2012 Malibu LSV

noquams

After reading many posts regarding how bad the factory sub box is I planning on replacing mine. I had the dealer install a heater and when they took the sub panel off I was surprised to see that it appears as though the box is a bit better than the ones seen in other posts from older Malibu's. The box is made of a thick plastic like material and is screwed to the panel.

The question is has anyone built a new ported sub box for a newer Malibu?

I built a sealed sub box for my 2012 MXZ. Thtrog had a ported one in his MXZ but I believe it was professionally built. It's not too bad, there is quite a bit of room under the helm even with a heater. If you want to cut out the kick panel more than they do for the factory sub you can get a pretty good size box in there too.

A 12-inch bass-reflex enclosure would start around 2.75 cu.ft. 'external' on the small side and vary somewhat with the particular woofer.

You want to start with the external number in order to determine the fit and also in consideration of the heater location, heater hose, leg room and the fact that the enclosure needs to be elevated off the sole enough so that the steering cable can pass underneath and into the bildge without changing its radius. Also, you don't want to make the enclosure build too complex. Angles and variations are fine to a point. But wings and small subordinate chambers are not productive.

David

After reading many posts regarding how bad the factory sub box is I planning on replacing mine. I had the dealer install a heater and when they took the sub panel off I was surprised to see that it appears as though the box is a bit better than the ones seen in other posts from older Malibu's. The box is made of a thick plastic like material and is screwed to the panel.

The question is has anyone built a new ported sub box for a newer Malibu?

LSV is 2 models, 23 or 247. which one do you have an folks can give more advice.

Forum rules do not allow vendors to advertise. If the vendor is up on the Forum rules they will have a link to their Website or Contact info in the Resources/Links section at the top of this page. If they don't, request from the vendor that they do include those links.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Crew Members -

I'm was attempting to pull out my Sub and foot rest under the seat on my 2005 23' LSV today. I'm attempting to access the heater under the dash and it has been very difficult to get to. I pulled apart the sub looking for screws and found nothing. My sub mounted very well and I'm struggling to figure out where screws might be on the foot panel. I have found one screw on the left side, but wondering if anyone knows how this is mounted mainly down where the floor and foot rest meet. Also the right side.

I think I have a custom sub box so not sure. I just don't want to create to bigger problem.

Thanks for any advise.

If its custom no idea, if its a stock Rockford there should be some plastic blocks that the kick-pannel screws into. You should be able to feel around in the carpet on each sode or reach behind the kick-pannel and feel the black plastic blocks then locate the screw in the front.

• 3 weeks later...