Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Design feedback

FastFreddy

I am getting ready to upgrade my system from the Aerator style Pirhannas to a Johnson and was looking at the manifold WM is selling or the directional "Y" valve. For what it is designed to do and how I will use it, the Bosworth Sealect Directional Y valve ($49.95) versus the MC manifold ($119.95) looks to be the better deal and it doesn't say MasterCraft on it. :) But is a sexier option.

I hadn't seen this valve. Much better option thanks!

Have a look at the first post again. The setup #1 with single pump and single bag is very simple. After all this talk I think I'll end up going with three bags, three pumps and three switches. Basically three times the setup #1 of my original post.

Setup1.jpg

Yeah this is the best way to go for sure. As far as the diagram, you are spot on.

As far as the flyhigh selector, it is a manual valve which is what I already have but is a great product and would work well if you wanted to go with a single pump.

Also they schematic should be pinned to the "how to ballast" section. It is the best schematic out there on how to plumb a bag. Add a switch wiring diagram to it and a parts list and it would be a resource for years to come. (needs some flow arrows on the check valves though since those are confusing people)

• Like 2

Also they schematic should be pinned to the "how to ballast" section. It is the best schematic out there on how to plumb a bag. Add a switch wiring diagram to it and a parts list and it would be a resource for years to come. (needs some flow arrows on the check valves though since those are confusing people)

MS visio has an electrical section with switches. I can easily add arrows to the check valves. I'll work on it.

Yeah in my case it is more a room issue than a cost issue. I actually have an extra reversible pump but to install it I need to drill another hole in the bottom of the boat and i dont have a really solid place to mount it. Between the sub, the amps, and the batteries, there isnt much room in the passenger side storage. (I am filling sacs in my asile and bow). Starting to look like this design is a pipe dream.

A single 1" thru-hull will support two impller pumps, so only one hole needs to be drilled in the bottom of the boat. Since the pumps are self-priming, you can mount them just about anywhere. So if space for a 2nd pump is an issue, mount it to the back side of the seat back, which is the forward wall of the engine bay.

I'm digging the Florite stuff, but it looks like the V5 only comes in a 3/4" ID barb. My intention in replacing the Pirhanas was to go to a 1" hose. Looks like I will go with the Bosworth unless I am missing something in the Florite catalog.

I don't think so. I want to vent air out when filling but I do not want to allow air back into the bags when draining them. Also in this direction it is imposible for water to come back through the vent instead of going to the drain.

Roger. Your arrows into the check valve are are right, just that the check valve "looks" backwards from a flapper lifting standpoint. Probably you don't have a choice of left or right flow direction check valves in visio.

if possible, single and double system ;-)

Roger. Your arrows into the check valve are are right, just that the check valve "looks" backwards from a flapper lifting standpoint. Probably you don't have a choice of left or right flow direction check valves in visio.

Oh I get it now!!!

The check valves have a small pin int he diagram which indicates which side of the flapper is pinned. It is hard to tell but it is there. I will see if I can get them flipped 180degrees, not rotated 180degrees.

One question for you guys, why the check valve in the fill line to prevent the drain water from exiting out the thru hull in the bottom of the boat?

My set-up is just like the schematic, but when I drain the bags the water goes right back out the fill. The vent lines going to the above water vent thru hull are vent only in case the bag overfills. Just a thought, it would save a valve, some hose, and a few fittings. Trust me, the reversible pumps are loud and they let you know when the bags are empty :lol: (in case the above water drain was for a visual indicator).

This is the wiring diagram I came up with how to wire my switches. I want to be able to fill and empty both bags at the same time. The 3 way switch controls the direction of the pump. The two turn the pump on and off and control the solenoids. If anyone sees a problem with my wiring let me know.

post-17891-0-96067600-1353374049_thumb.j

I showed your electrical drwing to a navy elec. engineer in my office and didn't tell him how it worked. Then he drew the following rough wiring diagram. To me, it is easier to see how it works/how to wire (one pump switch and two ballast switches). All switches shown in off position.

This might be overcome by events (OBE), but still some value perhaps.

post-19658-0-25378200-1353462453_thumb.j

i thought the water would drain faster above the water line with no restriction. now that i think about it it will probably drain faster through the fill line due to head pressure.