Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Converting 1 piece hatch to a 3 piece - Need help

FastFreddy

I just bought a new-to-me 1999 Sunsetter VLX.

I'd really like to convert the rear 1-piece hatch to the newer style 3-piece hatch.

Has anyone done this before?

Can the 3-piece hatch be bought from malibu and retro-fitted or should I just build it?

I am getting new upholstery so I'd like to do this first.

Thanks for any help.

IIRC, there was a crew member that converted his 1 piece hatch to a 3 piece setup.

edit: Never mind. I did some searching and the conversion I had in mind was from the hydraulic lift to manual, but still one piece hatch.

Edited by John I.

I've searched but couldn't find anything. I'm definately doing it one way or another so I'll document what I do. I'd like to see a 3-piece in person to compare prior to starting.

I am of no help on this, but the 1 piece hatch is the only thing that I don't like about my 99 VLX and have been thinking about the best way to do this as well!

I would email Chee and ask him if he can create a three piece from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

I would email Chee and ask him if he can create a three piece from scratch.

I would hit up Chee to make all the pieces and supply all the hardware that he can.

Then, the job is half over. You're just attaching some hinges and gas struts. Good to go.

I would hit up Chee to make all the pieces and supply all the hardware that he can.

Then, the job is half over. You're just attaching some hinges and gas struts. Good to go.

Who is this Chee you speak of?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Almost done the conversion. Just need to install the side hinges and the spring arms then I'm done. I kept the electric lift for the middle engine hatch. Pictures coming.

Those are exactly what I need but Bakes is a pain to deal with when in Canada which is too bad since they are a great resource. I tried finding them on eBay or other places but can't find them. Anyone else?

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - Conversion is 90% complete. I cut the large panel into 3 and had the upholster make it look nice. I kept the engine hatch hinge and electric arm the same. I didn't have time to install the hinge and the spring arm yet, that will be a winter project.

Here are some pictures of the almost finished product.

IMG_4466_zps92c69463.jpgIMG_4465_zpsea903202.jpg