Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fueling at the dock - What's wrong with my system?

MadDogMike

MadDog

If you follow all of your 4 review points, it seems like all should be well.

In regards to my remediation experience, you are mostly correct. All but one case involved lines continuely filled with fuel. The other was remarkably similar to your setup (only with diesel). The end result was about a $800K bill. The only reason that I bring it up is I feel morally obligated to share my experience with you.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

So forgetting all that has been discussed so far. And let's say everything is working perfectly. My concern would be condensation is the hoses. Now let me be clear I am not an engineer ( except in my own mind) but I have always been under the impression that fuel tanks, hoses etc. should be left full so condensation does not build up on the inside. I have a f350 I only drive every once in a while and I have been told to keep the take full.

So, 200 feet of hoses in this type of envirment could have quite a bit of water sitting in them even from 1 night outside and this alone would keep me from doing this.

I vote for a Yamaha Rhino or similar to put the jugs n and bring them down to the boat. Shot I would do that just to get the coolers and other crap my wife bring on out bu

Just my 2 cents....

Just trying to help so I will not respond to anything that is not helpful to what I have said and if I am wrong please feel free to tell me, just do bash me right out of the gate. Haha

Ps I would love to have the house, dock and problem you have. That is an amazing set up

My concern would be condensation is the hoses. Now let me be clear I am not an engineer ( except in my own mind) but I have always been under the impression that fuel tanks, hoses etc. should be left full so condensation does not build up on the inside. I have a f350 I only drive every once in a while and I have been told to keep the take full.

Yeah, I remember people used to say to keep your boat tank full over the winter, which I did until I saw this in a winterization guide:

FACTOID - Contrary to myths about condensationin your fuel tank, this only occurs in aluminum or metal tanks. Malibu has not used these types of fuel tanks since 1984. This is not to say, however, that you cant get water in fuel. Remember, it is transported in large metal rolling tanks and contamination from the refinery to the fuel nozzle could introduce water to your fuel system. Generally, it is insignificant.

There's also an article on the subject here.

If condensation is insignificant in a fuel tank, I would think it would be even more so in a capped hose.

Or maybe Jim Bob is carrying gas inside of his car with his home-made PVC cage! What could go wrong?

Cause Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance...and folks NEVER plan to have an accident, but the do occur!! If you were not interested in solutions why did you even bother to post the question?? shaking my head side to side and recalling several Forrest Gump quotes!!

AS you say "taking a calculated risk"...most folks when they take a calculated risk, factor in ALL the risks...risk vs reward....somehow I don't see all the risks being included in that equation...But like you said, you don't care. and both Pete and I don't care either...I was only offering my opinion(s) based on 30+ years experience, based a few engineering degrees while including some real life experiences...but I am sure you've thunk all thouse scenerios thru in your noggin.

Edited by jkendallmsce

If you were not interested in solutions why did you even bother to post the question??

First all, if you read my original post, my only question was what was preventing the flow from the nozzle. Second of all, I have taken several suggestions for improvements and plan to implement them as I have already posted.

I was only offering my opinion(s) based on 30+ years experience, based a few engineering degrees while including some real life experiences.

Where are these opinions you speak of? This is the first post I have seen from jkendallmsce on this thread.