Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can I leave oil out of the engine for a day?

ok... stupid mistake. Changing my oil for the first time myself tonight. Drained the oil out of the engine but then couldn't get the filter off. The wrench I bought was too small. Going to stop tomorrow after work to get the right sized wrench. Any issue with leaving oil out of the engine for 24 hours as long as I put it back in before I start the thing?

No different than when it sets unused for a day, week, whatever. Just make sure you fill er back up before heading for the lake!! ha ha

Make sure you get a good filter though..not the POS FRAM stuff. There is a topic about oil filters and which ones are the better (and not that much more$$) thn those cheap POS FRAMs. ANd of course the right oil.

And if you have a remote filter, or not too difficult to get to when installing the new filter, fill the filter with new oil...that way, you'll get oil to the moving parts a tad faster.

Edited by [email protected]

If the filter is stuck and you can't turn it, ram a long screwdriver through it. It will act like a pry bar. But you will want something under it to catch the oil that drains out the holes.

No worries leaving it with no oil till you get back to finishing it up. For a stuck filter, heres a trick thats a little cleaner then the screw driver through the side, that you can try first. Double over a piece of sandpaper, course side out and wrap it around the filter. This adds some friction between the filter and wrench. Also, try and grab the filter as close to the top as possible. The lower you go on the filter the easier it will want to collapse as you grip down with the wrench.

When you reinstall filter make sure old gasket comes off, and lube the new filter gasket with some oil. Only need to tighten hand tight (as tight as you can get it on by hand), it will make your next oil change much easier.

Thanks for the advice! Just venturing into doing my own maintenance. Fun... but frustrating to learn. Also should have tried this when things were a little warmer... but was holding out for another run. Didn't happen. Freezing temps now here in Ohio. Bu is safe for now though in a semi heated garage.

I wasn't the one who put this last filter on. Was a Mastercraft dealer (no close Bu dealers). I think it was sabotage!

Oil filter is remote. Hopefully the right tool will break that sucker loose tonight.

Any advice on Trans/vdrive fluid .... now vs spring? Does it make a difference? I've seen both recommended... (although now by Indmar manaul).

Thanks again! Can always rely on the crew for great advice.

b-

You might want to go to autozone or even walmart for a tool like this one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Oil-filter-B-cap-style-wrench/_/N-25ra?itemIdentifier=153158&_requestid=639079

Pic doesn't show because of the straight on shot, but it goes on the bottom of the filter, then you just take a socket wrench directly into the tool. There are different sizes, so know which exact filter you are going to take off.

Steve B.

Oh, and make sure the rubber o-ring comes off with the old filter. Sometimes the old one sticks on the block, and when you try to install the new one, it wont seal correctly because of two o-rings.

Steve B.

Thanks for the advice! Just venturing into doing my own maintenance. Fun... but frustrating to learn. Also should have tried this when things were a little warmer... but was holding out for another run. Didn't happen. Freezing temps now here in Ohio. Bu is safe for now though in a semi heated garage.

I wasn't the one who put this last filter on. Was a Mastercraft dealer (no close Bu dealers). I think it was sabotage!

Oil filter is remote. Hopefully the right tool will break that sucker loose tonight.

Any advice on Trans/vdrive fluid .... now vs spring? Does it make a difference? I've seen both recommended... (although now by Indmar manaul).

I had my 20 hr service done by dealer, on my next oil change I could not get the filter off without punching holes in it and using a wrench. It was stupid how tight they installed it... why some people install them so tight I will never understand.

When I winterize a boat, I do my best to leave it turn-key ready for spring. This means changing all the fluids as needed, in the fall. I also like to do this in the fall as i've already got the oil changer out along with everything else.

Come spring, I put it on a water supply and fire it for a few minutes prior to heading to the ramp. If all goes according to plan, there is nothing to do in the spring. Starting it before heading to the ramp, insures im not "that guy" blocking the ramp or floating stranded with a dead boat that wont start.

I had my 20 hr service done by dealer, on my next oil change I could not get the filter off without punching holes in it and using a wrench. It was stupid how tight they installed it... why some people install them so tight I will never understand.

Cause most of the folks working on your boat...specially doing the oil changes are kids who don't know what they are doing.

Cause most of the folks working on your boat...specially doing the oil changes are kids who don't know what they are doing.

Ouch!

How 'bout they wanna make sure that filter doesn't come loose on you?

Specifically, someone who is not mechanically inclined, and would not know how to deal with such a catastrophe?

Ouch!

How 'bout they wanna make sure that filter doesn't come loose on you?

Specifically, someone who is not mechanically inclined, and would not know how to deal with such a catastrophe?

how bout...tighten until snug, then an additioinal 1/4 turn? pretty sure those instructions are on most oil filter boxes.

We are not tightening head bolts on a hemi here....

ANd if he is not mechanically inclined, he should not be changing anyone's oil, let alone mine. Maybe answering the phone or in the pro shop??

just one of many reasons why I do all my own maintanence...then I know it is done right!

Edited by [email protected]

When leaving the engine drained of oil, always hang a big red or yellow tag on the steering wheel that says "No oil, do not start!" This little tag can save you a lot of money. :)

Haha... thanks Brett. The boat was locked in my garage. Batteries turned off... kill switch pulled. No one was starting that sucker! Upon getting the appropriate filter wrench the thing came right off. Rest of oil change was a breeze.

How many hours did you end up with in your inaugural season?

Go ahead and add the oil in the crankcase, it will not affect replacing the filter. The only oil that can / will drain or drip is what is in the filter or the filter housing. As long as the engine is not running the oil in the crankcase will not go anywhere, there is no connection from the pan to the filter other than via the oil pump. Just remember to change the filter. My recommendation if your filter is verical and standing upright, fill it before installing so the quart of oil the filter holds gets to the bearings as soon as possible. The filter is the last path the oil goes before it starts to do its job of lubricating all the internal components.

how bout...tighten until snug, then an additioinal 1/4 turn? pretty sure those instructions are on most oil filter boxes.

We are not tightening head bolts on a hemi here....

ANd if he is not mechanically inclined, he should not be changing anyone's oil, let alone mine. Maybe answering the phone or in the pro shop??

just one of many reasons why I do all my own maintanence...then I know it is done right!

Well 6,

Welcome aboard. You've been a member here for a month and made it plain as day that you are the expert on everything.

I also notice how most of your posts get edited. Think of something more ruthless to say after the fact?

Geez blagrata, ha, dont leave us hanging. How did you get it off? Does it live in your garage all winter? If it does, how bout we drink a beer in it someday?

Steve

Steve. Just got the proper sized strap wrench from Autozone and came right off. Filled it up (block and filter).... good pressure... no leaks.

Go ahead and add the oil in the crankcase, it will not affect replacing the filter. The only oil that can / will drain or drip is what is in the filter or the filter housing. As long as the engine is not running the oil in the crankcase will not go anywhere, there is no connection from the pan to the filter other than via the oil pump. Just remember to change the filter. My recommendation if your filter is verical and standing upright, fill it before installing so the quart of oil the filter holds gets to the bearings as soon as possible. The filter is the last path the oil goes before it starts to do its job of lubricating all the internal components.

Thanks for the tips. Got the filter off and filled the engine up last night. Filled the filter too. Good pressure as soon as I hit start!

Well 6,

Welcome aboard. You've been a member here for a month and made it plain as day that you are the expert on everything.

I also notice how most of your posts get edited. Think of something more ruthless to say after the fact?

In his defense, he is correct, there is no reason anyone should have to bust off there oil filter because of over tightening. I have to agree, some of the boat mechanics seem sketchy. I do not think boat mechanics are trained at the level of auto mechanics.