Sign in to follow this  
obski

Waterproof mp3 player

obski

Has anyone seen this mp3 player from Oregon Scientific? It is supposed to be waterproof to 1m for 30 min. Might work well while boarding.

Any thoughts?

Is there anything else out there like this?

Chauncemaster

I bought one of those for my girfriend to use while swimming. She uses it mroe as an all around sport mp3 player but it is definitely waterproof and would work while wakeboarding or skiing no problem. Really hard falls might be an issue but I doubt it.

LS-One

probably a lot cheaper than tower speakers and a big amp as well.

chathamsolutions

Much cheaper than speakers that's for sure.

In theory it's a great idea, implementation though my guess it's a nightmare. I remember, 20 years ago, when I bought a waterproof cover for my CD player. It basically was a plastic sleeve with a watertight seal. I was all excited, but when I got in the water the ear buds sucked. REALLY hard to keep them in your ear and when there was water IN your ear you couldn't hear it. Plus it was hard fumbling with the unit in the waves.

I think that unit would be perfect for swimming laps. But in a wakeboarding environment - I think it would be too much of a hassle. You'd be going along, and an ear piece will fall out, you'll struggle to get it back in and then your arms are tired, so you fall. And the unit turns off - or worse, it drops in the drink.

If you really want tunes... throw some speakers across the tower.

obski

So the biggest problem then may be the ear buds?

I wonder if they couldn't come up with something like what they have for skiing. My daughter has an mp3 player she uses and hooks up to speakers that are built into her helmet. I could see where headphones could be built into a wakeboarding helmet.

Giro audio helmet

Kellyb

I think this is a great idea and a wonderful solution to tower speakers. I thought of this set-up about a year ago and knew it would be a matter of time. When I looked there was a company in the UK that made a MP3 unit for swimming. A few months ago in wakeboarder there was an ad for a helmet with waterproof speakers. Attach the unit to the helmet and you are ready to go.

I think this is a great solution. I am worried that tower speakers are going to cause a problem due to how loud they are becoming and how they are used. On lake Mead, Powell etc. they would be fine but in areas with lots of boats and waterfront homes not good.

Kelly

chathamsolutions

OB - do it and come back with a verdict. I think the helmet would be a better solution IMO.

jetskipro550

I think its a cool idea and it could really take off! But I don't think that I would want to be wakeboarding with headphones for saftey/communication purposes. I like to be aware of my surrounding, other boats, etc... It could become standard equipment on boats if new laws start banning loud stereos

UWSkier

Safety would be my concern with boarding and/or swimming. When swimming in public water, you need to be able to hear other boats.

How about water proof wireless earbud headphones that you could just beam a signal from your boat stereo? :)

SacRiverRat

As a kid, my brother used to sing while he ski'd... you could see him out there "talking to himself"

Great thing was nobody could hear him

jetskipro550

That must have been funny to watch ROFL.gif

Wkerat

Isn't there a helmet company that has ear buds built in to the helmet?

Kellyb

Yes Shred Ready has the Can can waterproof headphones for $35.

Kelly