Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory radio reception sucks

wsdud

I have a 2004 wakesetter and the factory reception has always been bad ( AM and Fm ) The antenna cable is pluged in. I am guessing the antenna is burried on the side that the radio is and it is being blocked with cables and fiberglass so is there anything i can do the make it better

Jim

Find the antenna & make sure it's connected at both ends. Mine didn't have one at all. I installed it, ziptied up under the gunnel in the bow. Reception is pretty good, assuming we are in an area that has much FM going on.

Antenna reception has sucked on mine since day one, and did on my previous boat as well. At least for the 2 minutes I've tested it out as there really isn't a reason to listen to welfare radio with the advent of MP3's, Sirius, Pandora, and the numerous other sources for music and talk entertainment.

Mine also sucked when we got the boat, I moved the antenna up under the bow away from other cables and its a bit better now. Ive heard the FM boosters don't help too much? Has anyone found a good setup that works for FM other then sat radios? I like to support our local area businesses, and catch some of the local commercials and call ins!!

Here are a few modifications to try in progression. Once you verify that you do have an antenna in some form, look to re-locate it farther away from the dash electronics (if your year has the radio on the starboard side) with a standard automotive coax entension. Either up in the bow gunnel or down the coaming towards the stern.

If it's just a 30" section of wire then replace this with a 30" solid mast antenna. Run a return ground wire from the intended grounding base of the antenna. You may have to get a bit creative with a clamp or connection at the antenna base.

Experiment with different antenna orientations. Horizontal would be more directional but usually give you higher elevation above metal obstructions.

Try a test with the engine on and off (all engine management electronic modules off also).

Connect a test speaker directly to an amplified output of the source unit and disconnect ALL external amplifiers. With some amplifiers, the DC to AC to DC switching power supplies will wipe out any chance of radio reception. If you have this issue it cannot be remedied maintaining the same external amplifiers.

If your lake has nearby television and radio towers but you are listening to the transmission of distant sources, you may be out of luck.

Use an electronic amplified 'T' antenna. These are available under a number of brands and are the best of amplified antennas. They are commonly used in motorhomes and cruisers and absolutlely work! They're perfect for extending the reception range. However, there are limitations. These antennas have issues in town with a fast moving vehicle because they add gain to multiplexing problems (refections off buildings) along with the original signal. But this should be a total non-issue where most do their boating.

An electronic antenna can increase your reception range but only to a degree. If you are boating 90 miles from the tower (even in Kansas) or you boat in a sunken basin (with cliffs, dams, large hills, etc.) there is nothing that will help.

David

I had the same problem tried everything nothing worked. In the end to just bought a new antenna it worked great I didn't understand so I cut the antenna the end results was that my old antenna had rusted up on the inside and you just couldn't see it. Don't waist your money on the booster. I had already added a ground and a extender to the other one so I keep it on the new one and put it in the bow. They helped also once I had a new antenna. By putting it in the front it saved any static from people walking around. The best money I ever spent was when I added a bluetooth system to by boat now its all Pandora and iTunes.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

Here are a few modifications to try in progression. Once you verify that you do have an antenna in some form, look to re-locate it farther away from the dash electronics (if your year has the radio on the starboard side) with a standard automotive coax entension. Either up in the bow gunnel or down the coaming towards the stern.

If it's just a 30" section of wire then replace this with a 30" solid mast antenna. Run a return ground wire from the intended grounding base of the antenna. You may have to get a bit creative with a clamp or connection at the antenna base.

Experiment with different antenna orientations. Horizontal would be more directional but usually give you higher elevation above metal obstructions.

Try a test with the engine on and off (all engine management electronic modules off also).

Connect a test speaker directly to an amplified output of the source unit and disconnect ALL external amplifiers. With some amplifiers, the DC to AC to DC switching power supplies will wipe out any chance of radio reception. If you have this issue it cannot be remedied maintaining the same external amplifiers.

If your lake has nearby television and radio towers but you are listening to the transmission of distant sources, you may be out of luck.

Use an electronic amplified 'T' antenna. These are available under a number of brands and are the best of amplified antennas. They are commonly used in motorhomes and cruisers and absolutlely work! They're perfect for extending the reception range. However, there are limitations. These antennas have issues in town with a fast moving vehicle because they add gain to multiplexing problems (refections off buildings) along with the original signal. But this should be a total non-issue where most do their boating.

An electronic antenna can increase your reception range but only to a degree. If you are boating 90 miles from the tower (even in Kansas) or you boat in a sunken basin (with cliffs, dams, large hills, etc.) there is nothing that will help.

David

Some excellent advice, Thanks.

How about an add on HD radio tuner?

- Doesn't fix the reception problem...actually makes it worse. Instead fuzzy reception he will get broken up or no reception at all

- HD Radio tuners are pricey for what they are

- Not everywhere has HD radio

- In the end, HD radio is nothing more than a digital version terrestrial radio.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you that are trying to help me, but for a few that just want to tell me i should not listen to fm because its old school or i should travel back in time, well you may think that is fun but i am trying to fix a problem. I am thinking about changing out the stereo for a bluetooth unit so does any of you have a thought on a make and model, i would still want the hard wire remote

thanks

Jim

Edited by wsdud