Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help cleaning vinyl

wakesetter8796

Our vinyl has some spider crap spots and brown spots maybe from bird poop, I don't know. Anyway, what products do you recommend for really making it good, and restoring to like new condition? I have 303 Aerospace Protectant and awesome cleaner.

boat bling and exquisite have both been good to me. If that no luck, google a professional autodetailers supply company near you and pick their brain on vinyl spot cleaning. A detailers supply store usually has outstanding products that you can't simply get as a non-professional. In particular I use something sometimes called frank's special cleaner that is a concetntrate that works quite well and a gallon is like 16 bucks and will last a lifetime its so concentrated. Actually I use that stuff on everything outside though I tend to try to stick with specialty products for boats for the boat.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I use both babes and boat bling. haven't seen much difference between them.

brown spots for me usually never go away with cleaners, only hours in the summer sun bleach them out.

I'm assuming the brown spots are mildew? I've had limited success with Scrubbing Bubbles, but anyone have other recommendations?

I bought the product called Exquisite off of ebay, because i read an article on here about it and i have to say, it really works! The first time i used it i sprayed it on, and where it started to bead up and drip down the cushion, was noticeably brighter without even touching it. So imagine what a little elbow grease does. Search for the article on here. You'll be surprised how well it works, i know i was.

I use this to clean the vinyl:

http://www.malcoautomotive.com/Leather_and_Plastic_Cleaner-details.aspx

and then follow up with Babes Seat Saver:

http://www.babesboats.com/boat-cleaning/upholstery-conditioner/vinyl-protection/SeatSaver.php

The Malco will clean just about everything on the surface. It is especially good if you have white vinyl. just be very careful with it. i usually use the Malco and a soft brush (with just a little bit of water) to clean. then wipe with a dry cloth, and rinse with a sponge. dry the surface spray the Babes on. i do this a couple of times a year.

In between, i use the Seat saver after every outing. I have tried the Boat Bling Vinyl sauce, but i dont think it has enough conditioner in it.

I nice upholstry brush will also help get stains off, but dont get too crazy with it... if it does not come off with a couple applications let the sun bleach it out. Sometimes you will make it worse by scrubbing the heck of it, the sun will naturally take it away over time.

I have heard good things about Boat Bling Vinyl sauce...

How do the other cleaning products such as Babes and Boat Bling compare to 303's cleaning product? I've always used 303 cleaner and the protectant.

Edited by kennyo

How do the other cleaning products such as Babes and Boat Bling compare to 303's cleaning product? I've always used 303 cleaner and the protectant.

I switched from 303 cleaner to Boat Bling as I found the 303 cleaner did not work on real stubborn stains. I am still a big fan of 303 protectant.

I'm assuming the brown spots are mildew? I've had limited success with Scrubbing Bubbles, but anyone have other recommendations?

not mine. The few times the sun had to take it cause cleaner wouldn't, my theories have been

1. sneaky person brought sunscreen with bronzer on board

2. spilled stabilizer, pretty sure on this one since I did it. I wiped it up immediately, but next day vinyl was light brown.

3. engine oil/road grime? someone set beach bag in parking lot in oil stain is my suspicion, then set bag on sun deck.

Magic Erasers work wonders. Just be careful and don't overuse them or they will do damage to the vinyl. Also after you are done cleaning with the magic eraser, put a good conditioner on where it doesn't dry it out. Also if it gets to the point that you can't get the stain out, they make vinyl dye that I have used with great success.

As stated, no matter what you use (absolutely nothing with bleach) do not scrub too hard, especially over seams. Once that tiny single thread is gone on either side your days are numbered before the two pieces start pulling apart depending of traffic. Always follow up with a protectant (303) and hit the seams real good.

I use exquisite and it takes care of the spider pooh. What I can't get rid of is a small yellow stain from a leaf casing that somehow got in the boat this spring and a few black scuff marks from the idiots that ignore my no shoes/flip flop rule.

Lots of good info. This is what I use for tough spots: Totally Awesome cleaner (tested to be almost identical to Malco) and an extra tough magic eraser. Yes, it is abrasive and most likely bad, but it works. If some staining is left, then 90% of the time a few days in the hot summer sun will get rid of the staining, especially stains from spider droppings, bee and those terrible Malibu covers. If that doesn't work, get the best vinyl repair guy in town, he can respray the area, fix holes, etc. and you will never know it was there!

http://colorglo.com/

• 3 weeks later...