Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need a high altitude prop?

dm001681

I just bought a new 2012 LSV23 with a stock prop and wondered if you guys think I should spend the $150 the dealer would charge for the high altitude prop? I live in NY where the elevation is only 700ft so I didn't really think about it but since I have the option and it won't cost that much I wondered if I should. What do you guys think?

The high-altitude prop is also known as the Acme 1235. The best answer this question, we need to know how you intend I'm running the boat. If you run with the large crew or additional ballast it is definitely the way to go. The top and loss is minor probably around 2 mph

I just bought a new 2012 LSV23 with a stock prop and wondered if you guys think I should spend the $150 the dealer would charge for the high altitude prop? I live in NY where the elevation is only 700ft so I didn't really think about it but since I have the option and it won't cost that much I wondered if I should. What do you guys think?

Yes....yes....yes.and yes. Think of it like this..... stock prop=Dr. Bruce Banner Acme 1235=incredible hulk (but just a little bit slower than Dr. Bruce Banner.)

Edited by Rmack

Well, this is our first inboard, we are coming from an I/O. We will definitely be wakeboarding alot and I want to learn how to surf too, haven't ever tried that. We will probably run a lot as a family of 4 but when we have others on the boat we will be 8-10 but half of those people will be kids, so not a ton of weight. I don't know about extra ballast yet. I don't think we will need it for wakeboarding, none of us are that good but I wonder if we will need additional weight to surf?

Also, the prop the dealer would sell me for $150 is in place of the stock prop not in addition to so its not like I'm getting a $600 prop for $150, I probably wasn't clear about that in my initial post. Thanks!

Well, this is our first inboard, we are coming from an I/O. We will definitely be wakeboarding alot and I want to learn how to surf too, haven't ever tried that. We will probably run a lot as a family of 4 but when we have others on the boat we will be 8-10 but half of those people will be kids, so not a ton of weight. I don't know about extra ballast yet. I don't think we will need it for wakeboarding, none of us are that good but I wonder if we will need additional weight to surf?

Also, the prop the dealer would sell me for $150 is in place of the stock prop not in addition to so its not like I'm getting a $600 prop for $150, I probably wasn't clear about that in my initial post. Thanks!

To sum it up. Yes

Stock=Clark Kent

Acme 1235=Super Man

Stock=standard punch

Acme 1235=five finger death punch (try to figure what movie)

Stock=Walter White

Acme 1235= Heisenberg

Stock=punky brewster

Acme 1235= Soleil Moon Frye (after she turned 18)

150 upgrade is not bad, you can also check around to see what you can buy the prop for and keep the stock as a spair. You wont need extra ballast yet for bording until you start going wake to wake and looking for some more air time. For surfing you will need extra ballast. There are a lot of threads on here about weighting the boat for surfing.

Have fun, Having a spair prop is a good idea so is puting together a weekend saver kit. Prop, prop puller, nut, key, impeller, tools. etc.

Welcome to be best boat you have ever owned.

We got the boat at Gull Lake in MI because my local dealer didn't have any 2012's left. BTW, any idea what the top speed of the 23LSV is and do you only lose 2-3 mph with the 1235?

To sum it up. Yes

Stock=Clark Kent

Acme 1235=Super Man

Stock=standard punch

Acme 1235=five finger death punch (try to figure what movie)

Stock=Walter White

Acme 1235= Heisenberg

Stock=punky brewster

Acme 1235= Soleil Moon Frye (after she turned 18)

Stock=Occupy Wall Street punks

Acme 1235 = Fully outfitted SWAT team in an uparmored ACP with laser blasters.

Stock=Liberal activists who want to restrict any and all guns from the hands of law abiding citizens despite criminals owning these weapons outright and using them to commit crimes in their community.

Acme=Decorated War Vets who have earned the opportunity to enjoy the 2nd amendment to hunt, protect their family and keep up their skill set that they got paid next to nothing for while an E4 on active duty

We got the boat at Gull Lake in MI because my local dealer didn't have any 2012's left. BTW, any idea what the top speed of the 23LSV is and do you only lose 2-3 mph with the 1235?

I can't comment on the top speed of the LSV, but on a 2009 VLX I lost 2 miles an hour from 48 to 46 mph. Mike 2012 LSV with the 555 HP tops out at 49.9 with the 1235

dm, please look at the hub of the prop and report back the numbers imprinted. There is a chance that boat got a hybrid prop as the "Stock" prop..ie the 1939, though would agree with most that you probably have the 537, although that hasn't been specifically stated. IF you have the 1939, I'd suggest you drive the boat first. 1939 is "in the middle" of the 537 and 1235 and if you're not planning on needing to plane out with crazy weight (for wakeboarding) it should be fine. By crazy weight I mean 1500#s plus over factory. For surfing, until you get into ridiculous weight, that prop will be fine because you're never needing to plane out. You will burn more fuel with the 1235 but agree the power difference is surprising. In my experience, there is a larger loss in top end than 2 mph. I'd estimate that at wakeboard speed you're spinning about 400 more RPM with the 1235. Fuel consumption starts increasing exponentially when getting over 2800. In the scheme of things does that matter, probably not, but unless you're going to be saccing that boat out consistently, personally, I don't see the need. I've only swapped out a 537 for a 1235 on one boat and it would still plane with 3500#s of ballast though the 1235 did it a LOT easier.

My boat came with the 1939, I took it off 4 hours later. I was disappointed in the performance compared to the 1235. We wakeboard and surf... imo, any new wakeboard boat should be fitted with the 1235 or at least offered to the customer.... if you slalom ski it will push the motor a little at 32-34 mph, but nothing that will cause any damage...

I insisted on the 1235. $150 is a great price - let them keep the old prop, you won't want it after you use the 1235. Should be the standard prop IMO.

Top speed may only be around 42, but you can pull a house. IO boats worry about top speed, wakeboard boats want low end grunt and pulling power.

I don't have a recommendation per se and certainly agree with the stump pulling power of the 1235, but if I was coming from an I/O, with a crew of beginning kids wakeboarders, I would personally use the 537 or 1939. I have 537 on the vtx now (on purpose). Don't get me wrong, the 1235 is the ONLY way to go for some people, but the OP doesn't sound to me like he's the type to drive the 1939 and be disappointed. With beginning kids wakeboarding, he probably won't even be running any ballast in whcih case the 1235 is a big swing at a whiffle ball.

My boat came with the 1939, I took it off 4 hours later. I was disappointed in the performance compared to the 1235. We wakeboard and surf... imo, any new wakeboard boat should be fitted with the 1235 or at least offered to the customer.... if you slalom ski it will push the motor a little at 32-34 mph, but nothing that will cause any damage...

everybody has unique needs and uses for the boat. 1235 may be the best for most people but many still prefer a 537 (like me). There's nothing holding anyone back from getting a 1235.

Thanks for the input guys! As far as my uses of the boat, yes we will definitely be towing small kids learning to wakeboard however I will ride behind the boat with some (probably not full) ballast. I can jump wake to wake but thats about it..yet I hope. I do want to surf however have not yet learned but from what I'm hearing I will need full ballast and then some for surfing. I understand that with the 1235 you lose a few mph off the top end however if we are talking 44mph->42mph I could care less. We won't be making long runs so I don't need the top end. I don't however want to needlessly spend $$$ on gas if there is that big a difference.

Rough guess based on your description, I'd say you'll spend 15-20% more on gas with the 1235. That figure goes up the faster you're cruising. Keep in mind that 1235 does more than just limit top end, it is also noticably louder because you're spinning a lot more RPM at a given speed. So, if you like to cruise at 25 to your spot, in a 23 that's prob about 3200-3300 rpm with the 1235 which isn't exactly idling. If the boat is nothing more than a tugboat, 1235 sound great for you but I there are a lot of people with your description who are plenty happy with the 537. Have you located which one you have?

Barefoot, thanks for the info! I haven't actually taken delivery of the boat yet so I can't go look myself. I have specifically asked the dealer to take a look and let me know. I'll post once they get back to me. 15%-20% more gas is quite a bit and a louder motor is also not all that attractive. What are your thoughts on the silent tip exhaust? My boat doesn't have it however I was considering getting it, does it make much difference?

no problem...keep in mind, I'm not saying it's "loud", just pointing out that it is loudER than the 537 at the same speed. Everything is a compromise when selecting a prop. For someone who just cruises on big lakes, 537 easy choice, loading up 3000#s, 1235 no doubt, in the middle, gets blurrier. Either prop you will love the boat I promise.

I disagree with the fuel consumption numbers, if anything at lower speeds your engine is working less because of the prop compensating for better low end torque. I ran both and noticed very little fuel consumption difference between the two when wakeboarding and surfing. If you slalom often it would probably consume more fuel at higher rpm's... And I am not following the engine noise difference, its minute if at all noticeable. I dont even have the ste tips and it seems pretty quiet to me.

If you order the boat with the 1235 and dont like it you will have no problem selling it, they are in high demand. Much easier to sell the 1235 over the 1939 --- a less desireable prop for wakeboarding and surfing. Brand new the 1235 is selling for $600... imo, try the 1235 and see how it works for you, sell it if you dont care for it. Very few people switch props after running the 1235.

the initial feedback coming in about the 2315 / 2313s are that they are newer technology...designed better against the HP/torque curves on our boats....pull as hard or harder than the 1235s, and loose less off the top end.

Supposedly they pay for those gains in the middle speeds 15-25mph where its ok to give up peak performance. Can anyone comment?