Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got carried away today, SSLXI Interior Rehab

Bozboat

Here is the floor panel (carpet removed) that goes behind the motor box over the mufflers. Any one have any suggestions on a better replacement? Could I use a 3.4 inch thick piece of HDPE like this one

http://www.interstateplastics.com/plastic-sheets-details.php?sku=HDPBE&vid=201212171748-6p&thickness=0.750&dim2=24&dim3=48&qty=1

577B4BC0-723F-4339-8F4A-A4D8621AF7B6-534-0000002B5B4F2B1A.jpg

590D13E6-6609-42FA-BA2B-E15BBC8DC5E5-534-0000002B54A5C62C.jpg

Edited by Bozboat

Can't help with the floor panel....but me thinks you are going to have the nicest SSLXi interior around if those are the people you hae helping with your interior.

They are doing my stuff in between working on some awesome cars.

after i noticed / realized that the panel in the other thread was you i thought i'd move the conversation over here.

mcmaster carr carries aluminum honeycomb but it's some really pricey stuff.

consider dropping a dime to chat w chee? i just saw a post within the last week where chee supplied one of the tmc gang a new alum. honeycomb trunk cover.

it would be worth a try.

after i noticed / realized that the panel in the other thread was you i thought i'd move the conversation over here.

mcmaster carr carries aluminum honeycomb but it's some really pricey stuff.

consider dropping a dime to chat w chee? i just saw a post within the last week where chee supplied one of the tmc gang a new alum. honeycomb trunk cover.

it would be worth a try.

Yep, that was me, Trunk is being trucked out here. I will see what Chee can do on this piece as well.

That HDPE sheet might be the way to fly. I'm just not sure in the hot summer sun if it will get soft and want to sag. I'm not sure where rugger got it, but the material he used for the floor in the Sunsetter is awesome. Very dense, rigid, and it is a composite material (dark grey in color). It's about 3/4" thick and would be perfect there (that's what my same panel is).

Just a piece of advice, it seems no matter what kind of flooring you screw the dogbox hinges into it ends up ripping the screws out of the flooring material and becoming a mess over time. The Sunsetter has a piece of aluminum "U" channel that is carpeted and then bolted to the stringers. The dog box hinges are then bolted to it with machine bolts and lock nuts. Nothing to strip or pull out. Here's a pic of it. I highly recommend that mod while you have it pulled apart. Stripping out your nice new floor is no fun!

P5020201-1500.jpg

That HDPE sheet might be the way to fly. I'm just not sure in the hot summer sun if it will get soft and want to sag. I'm not sure where rugger got it, but the material he used for the floor in the Sunsetter is awesome. Very dense, rigid, and it is a composite material (dark grey in color). It's about 3/4" thick and would be perfect there (that's what my same panel is).

Just a piece of advice, it seems no matter what kind of flooring you screw the dogbox hinges into it ends up ripping the screws out of the flooring material and becoming a mess over time. The Sunsetter has a piece of aluminum "U" channel that is carpeted and then bolted to the stringers. The dog box hinges are then bolted to it with machine bolts and lock nuts. Nothing to strip or pull out. Here's a pic of it. I highly recommend that mod while you have it pulled apart. Stripping out your nice new floor is no fun

I think I will give the HDPE a try. I may cut is short and put something like you described in to support the motorbox hinges. For the last year or so I have just had the box mounted over four small plastic blocks that kept it from moving in any direction. No hinges, but you could open it up further than when it was hinged. Where does the end of your blower hose rest, it looks like its up by the distributor? what do you have to pull the fumes from the bottom of the bilge?

Sounds like a good plan. You could always put a few aluminum or stainless braces across the HDPE to prevent sagging as well.

That's it, both boats I've owned had the intake for the bilge blower right about even with the top of the tranny housing. I guess gas vapors are heavier than air and I should lower it. :dontknow:

Sounds like a good plan. You could always put a few aluminum or stainless braces across the HDPE to prevent sagging as well.

That's it, both boats I've owned had the intake for the bilge blower right about even with the top of the tranny housing. I guess gas vapors are heavier than air and I should lower it. :dontknow:

That's interesting that the blower hose is up off the bottom. I was thinking of gasoline vapors and water heaters in the garage. Most building codes put the water heater up 18" or so to keep the pilot light out of the vapor. Maybe the idea is to maximize the airflow around an area where a spark might occur. Still think I would want all the fumes removed. If gasoline were to puddle from a refueling problem it seems the fumes would be lower.

Edited by Bozboat

Chee is the legend. Can't beat the service or the price. He is shipping me a floor piece of the honeycomb aluminum for half what I would spend on the HDPE, also sending me a new trunk lid. I get the feeling he could handle any interior request.

(Forget about Chee. This thread was several years before he broke bad)

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1

Here is the floor panel (carpet removed) that goes behind the motor box over the mufflers. Any one have any suggestions on a better replacement? Could I use a 3.4 inch thick piece of HDPE like this one

http://www.interstateplastics.com/plastic-sheets-details.php?sku=HDPBE&vid=201212171748-6p&thickness=0.750&dim2=24&dim3=48&qty=1

577B4BC0-723F-4339-8F4A-A4D8621AF7B6-534-0000002B5B4F2B1A.jpg

590D13E6-6609-42FA-BA2B-E15BBC8DC5E5-534-0000002B54A5C62C.jpg

I have been kicking around the idea if making one out of teak,

Have any of you guys used insulation (similar to what you would use to insulate your motor box) on that floor piece that goes over the mufflers/packing?

Worth it?

Have any of you guys used insulation (similar to what you would use to insulate your motor box) on that floor piece that goes over the mufflers/packing?

Worth it?

my dd has an air inlet on the aft end of the dog house.

it's air intake noise is really quite loud back there.

doubt insulating the tunnel would be very helpful.

Edited by tvano

my dd has an air inlet on the aft end of the dog house.

it's air intake noise is really quite loud back there.

doubt insulating the tunnel would be very helpful.

On my other boat, I also have a vent on the aft end of the doghouse. I have read where others have sealed it up, and noise reduction is significantly gained. On ships we use a non-flammable dense foam for lagging/insulating pipes etc., and that's what I used to coat the inside of the doghouse, and to cover the vent. Still working for sea trials though so the noise reduction effect while in the water is not assuredly known yet....

HOWEVER, I also installed a new larger blower (more efficent too) and replaced all blower hoses to ensure good fresh air flow.

The hose connected to the single intake vent in the bow ends in the bilge by the ski pylon and the blower takes a suction on the driver's side near the bilge deck engine center line. It discharges into one hose then into a y fitting and out two vents on the top of the transom behind the fuel tank.

From a previous thread here, the heavier-than-air combustion and possibly explosive gases can then be easily sucked into the blower inlet after being mixed with fresh air from the bow vent and be discharged outside. Hope it works!

Edited by malibuparadise

Worth it?

I did that when I insulated my engine cover. Didn't take much material and it was easy, and I was doing the box anyway so I figured WTH. My engine is really quiet with the exception of some noise that comes out thru the little holes in the bottom of the cupholders.

Sorry for the aside, but what blower did you install and is it quiet? Mine is annoyingly loud!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=34193&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50366&subdeptNum=50379&classNum=50384

I bought my blower in Japan, but it looks exactly like one at westmarine (only mine was more expensive!)

Blower rehab is on my list of things to do.

I'm glad I wasn't totally off topic then. :)

http://www.westmarin...&classNum=50384

I bought my blower in Japan, but it looks exactly like one at westmarine (only mine was more expensive!)

Cool, thanks man. Our Skier has a blower that looked like this and it moved a ton of air and was whisper quiet,

8361.jpg

Some progress on the rear couch. My old stuff wasn't in bad shape for a boat with 13 or so seasons on it, but I am amazed at how much thicker Chee's skins are than the old ones. Its hard to tell in these photos, but the old foam under the old vinyl is either flat or never was as thick as the new vinyl.

Also, the on the seats under the original vinyl seems to be in good shape.

1F17AB44-C8E6-48C2-B6DC-BAFA0F6F9613-3727-000001567E212138.jpgA8480B25-6674-4C31-988E-7EF6FD961545-3727-000001566429DE18.jpg

BFCB734B-8CD7-4F96-B1AC-9C5A3E0D0E7D-3727-000001566D3B560F.jpg

3CE426FF-2BF5-47DF-9C43-A43B7D607AC9-3727-000001568FC96C7D.jpg

Edited by Bozboat