Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got carried away today, SSLXI Interior Rehab

Bozboat

We have removed the old cover from the trunk lid only to find out that its made of plywood. I emailed Chee who confirmed that the original was aluminum. In less than an hour, from first email to deal, Chee has agreed to ship me an original trunk lid for a fair price. I just can't bring myself to put it back together with plywood.

57CA56A9-13DB-405A-82CC-FA72EA725571-4803-00000251278E4816.jpg

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1

I never would have thought that component would be plywood?? WTH??? Nice to get back to OEM specs on the rebuild.

I had no idea it was plywood, always thought it was heavy, but it looked ok, it was prone to warp a little if you left it unlatched.

Plywood trunk lid and fishing pole holders! Background checks should be done when u purchase a boat.

I hope this question isnt too personal. About how much are u dropping for this project?

Looks great so far btw!

There is a certain amount of embarrassment that goes along with stripping your boat all the way down exposing all its secrets. My first thought is to hide such embarrassing items, but most of the people on this forum want to help and the more you give the more you learn.

There is no way to answer how much it costs to work on your boat. To me its not the same as a car or pickup where I am always looking at whether I can get out whole. Everything about my boat is recreation. So to answer how much I am dropping on this project would not be a personal question (as in offensive) , but the answer would not be rational.

• Like 4

There is no way to answer how much it costs to work on your boat. To me its not the same as a car or pickup where I am always looking at whether I can get out whole. Everything about my boat is recreation. So to answer how much I am dropping on this project would not be a personal question (as in offensive) , but the answer would not be rational.

completely understand what your saying.

So to answer how much I am dropping on this project would not be a personal question (as in offensive) , but the answer would not be rational.

Well said BOZ.

NOW, if only I knew the secret to get the "Admiral" to understand such clear-to-me irrationality....

In one of your posts you mention you got skins from Chee. I suspect you mean you ordered all new vynil for the seats and stuff. Is it cheaper to get them from Chee or to go a local upholstery shop?

In one of your posts you mention you got skins from Chee. I suspect you mean you ordered all new vynil for the seats and stuff. Is it cheaper to get them from Chee or to go a local upholstery shop?

I can only give my perspective as it is not my project. If this were me, at this point I don't think I would sacrifice saving a few dollars vs going to Chee, who comes highly recommended from people here. Especially when he just pulls the info off of your hull id #. No need to drag the boat there for measurments. It'd be like rebuilding your car and taking it to one day paint and body.

On 12/11/2012 at 5:08 PM, fredberg1414 said:

In my situation, Chee was a bargain. I sent him a check and the hull number and three weeks or so later a big box of skins showed up. Here is a link to the post I made last year when I ordered the skins. My local hot rod shop that is helping me with the install said they could not reproduce what Chee did, (26 pieces) for less than four times as much money. I believe my boat had an original interior, that was showing some wear, but I can tell you the production from Chee is a much thicker vinyl and has more padding sewn into the back. 

C7EB3D96-FD64-41EC-A157-57C60AC21A6B.jpeg

C4110562-56DB-462A-92AE-4FDEBB841596.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat

So how hard and how long was the installation of the skins?

some crew members have done their own install, which on some of the cushions doesn't look that hard. Some of the bolsters and curved parts look more difficult. I removed all the trim, side panels, cushions, couches, etc from the boat and have taken them in to have the skins replaced with Chee's skins. I hope to have them back by the end of January, or at least most of them. Then I will install them back into the boat.

Just curious, but when you guys order from Chee, and just send in the Hull ID number, does that give him the information he needs on the various colors for the trim, etc.? Or do you have to provide that information separately?

Just curious, but when you guys order from Chee, and just send in the Hull ID number, does that give him the information he needs on the various colors for the trim, etc.? Or do you have to provide that information separately?

I gave him the hull number and that was all he needed to recreate the original patterns, original colors etc. The material seems to be a better quality but it is essentially exactly the same as what came on the boat.

When he did mine, I just sent him the Hull ID and I told him what I wanted for colors as I did modify them slightly. He is best. :rockon: