Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got carried away today, SSLXI Interior Rehab

Bozboat

pulling and re-installing the OLD exhaust hoses can be a big job; they just don't give much.

just how difficult is the job of installing new hoses?

Getting the old hoses off was the hard part. The new hoses are much more flexible and weren't that hard to install. I connected the riser to the muffler, then connected the thru hull (flapper?) and the last connection was to the rear of the muffler which I made by pulling the muffler up and bending the rear exhaust hose up.

Getting the old hoses off was the hard part. The new hoses are much more flexible and weren't that hard to install. I connected the riser to the muffler, then connected the thru hull (flapper?) and the last connection was to the rear of the muffler which I made by pulling the muffler up and bending the rear exhaust hose up.

thanks. good to know. perhaps they grow stiff w age. that's just not normal, is it?

keep posting pictures as the work gets done. looks great so far.

Ok, good day today.

Removed the pitot tubes and the small tubes that are designed to carry water up to the MDC under the dash and ruin it. Filled holes with 100% silicon, will cap with MarineTex later

495E07EA-D95F-4A3B-867F-337E246AF81B-1323-000000815E9233AD.jpg

put the gas tank back in

B34B444C-F72A-4DC6-9B77-3F804795F13A-1323-0000008146C06E19.jpg

Printed off a great article on how to replace your fuel tank sender

97E3A59A-2038-4969-BC19-CD1EB57A08F4-1323-0000008184EA545E.jpg

Checked inside the tank, fuel pick up line looked fine, tank clean

2983E435-E416-44CC-A029-0FA59FA40A68-1323-00000081745F87F9.jpg

removed the old fuel tank sender, I see no reason that it worked at all, all though it was still good at reading empty when half full

F1615BBA-9E5F-4386-B77F-FA2A10E98408-1323-00000087587CA9AF.jpg

A51F17FC-91BA-4906-8178-4866E78980E0-1323-00000087495B1B9D.jpg

followed the directions in the article from the Crew

8A5EA2E9-B7D9-4083-BEF8-C45F60C35DAE-1323-000000819B69C3F2.jpg

replaced the MDC with my spare, which I ordered from Bakes last summer after figuring out why water kept dripping on my feet

8FDCCD76-9D00-4632-B896-6B5E33C2B980-1323-00000087CC7CE67F.jpg

old vs new fuel sender

3D5C8434-A82D-4A5D-B7BC-DC37CA52B281-1323-00000081A3C4FAB7.jpg

tank installed with new fuel lines and new sender

4F4431B3-9332-443B-BB93-453A84F2E024-1323-00000081ADF0715F.jpg

Edited by Bozboat

Nice work. Your going to like that new sender. :) That's one thing that amazes me....the senders in the old school Bu's are right on the money. usually senders from that era are junk. :lol:

You better slow down a bit! Your going to be done way before spring at this pace! I just picked up a used 350 block out of a co-workers truck...time for a winter project. :)

Just a question, does the trunk come all the way to the front edge of the tank? I'm so jealous of the SSLXi's trunk!

Very nice work. I'm jealous. All this made me order a heater and some skins from Chee. I also have some ballast bags to install with some Johnson pumps. Once this is all done I should be ready for spring.

Just a question, does the trunk come all the way to the front edge of the tank? I'm so jealous of the SSLXi's trunk!

The rear seat couch sets in front of the gas tank. The wiring harness, the shower pump, and the blower mount on the back wall of the couch. There is a carpeted panel that covers all of that and another carpeted piece of plastic floor that lays on top of the gas tank. But yes the trunk is large. I will get some pictures posted when I put it back together.

What are your plans for the used truck small block?

Edited by Bozboat

Boz,

Where does the second fuel line go? (w/ no filter present). Is that the vent line?

Second fuel line is the fuel return line. The way I understand it, with the EFI engine the fuel pump pressurizes while on, then when turned off it drains back to the tank.

The rear seat couch sets in front of the gas tank. The wiring harness, the shower pump, and the blower mount on the back wall of the couch. There is a carpeted panel that covers all of that and another carpeted piece of plastic floor that lays on top of the gas tank. But yes the trunk is large. I will get some pictures posted when I put it back together.

What are your plans for the used truck small block?

Cool. Thanks for the details...I always wondered how that was laid out.

Hopefully a 400 crank and a couple high flow heads and intake. I'm kicking around the idea of fuel injecting it. I know my wife would like the instant starts when cold, but I'm not sure if it is worth the money. I could always run a TBI set-up, but a full MPI set-up would be awesome. My goal for it is 400 hp which I think is very achievable with a bit of planning and the right parts.

Now if I could only get the truck sold I'd have some cash and room in the garage. :)

I'm so jealous of the SSLXi's trunk!

I agree 100%. If I can't find a good VLX in my area I am going to consider one of these... It might bridge the gap for me between my closed bow Skier and a V drive.

Bud Light?!?!?!?!?! :vomit:

:Tease3:

:cheers:

Edited by Levi900RR

Well, for me, the benefit was no fuel spilling out of my vent during fill ups. And not watching fuel drip down the side of the boat when I was heading to the lake with said full tank of fuel as the gas sloshed around in the tank and/or heated up and expanded a little going from the cooler underground tanks to the Florida heat.

Other than that, not really sure. Maybe the routing of the vent line is different in our boats, or the tank shape/location or something. But that's the problem it solved for me.

And it's an LG-50, not LF-50 like I stated earlier.

Well, for me, the benefit was no fuel spilling out of my vent during fill ups. And not watching fuel drip down the side of the boat when I was heading to the lake with said full tank of fuel as the gas sloshed around in the tank and/or heated up and expanded a little going from the cooler underground tanks to the Florida heat.

Other than that, not really sure. Maybe the routing of the vent line is different in our boats, or the tank shape/location or something. But that's the problem it solved for me.

And it's an LG-50, not LF-50 like I stated earlier.

I have some kind of one way valve in the vent line, small black plastic thing that lets air in but nothing out. On really hot days if the tank is full and the boat is sitting on the trailer in the heat, fuel will still seep out of the gas cap. I can prevent this by not filling the boat up all the way or opening the gas cap some to let the fumes out.

Would the RACOR be a better solution?

Edited by Bozboat

I have some kind of one way valve in the vent line, small black plastic thing that lets air in but nothing out. On really hot days if the tank is full and the boat is sitting on the trailer in the heat, fuel will still seep out of the gas cap. I can prevent this by not filling the boat up all the way or opening the gas cap some to let the fumes out.

Would the RACOR be a better solution?

The Racor would let those fumes escape through the vent line. The valve is designed such that it lets air in AND out, but will not let fuel out.

The Racor would let those fumes escape through the vent line. The valve is designed such that it lets air in AND out, but will not let fuel out.

Ok, I neeeed this as well. Thanks for the suggestion.