Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Uggghh! I guess I deserved that.

TallRedRider

It has been a couple of frustrating weeks here in St. George Utah. The weather has been unbelievable. It has been dead calm and all the wallys are back at school and the lake is super clear and nobody is around. I have been eager to get there to do some wakeboarding and foiling, but for the last 2-3 weeks, something has come up every single time I could have gone. Or the worst was that I could not find anyone to go on Saturday. Mass text to 30 people did not provide me with a boating buddy even then.

Finally today rolled around and my most dedicated buddy is up for a run. We have to go early, at about 830 am, who cares if it is only 50 degrees, a lot of you guys up north would kill for that right now. He brings his 4 month old daughter and she is nicely lulled to sleep by the drone of ballast pumps and the engine. We were unable to find a third. Not a big deal, the lake is deserted for the last several weeks. Even the rangers had seemed to pack it up for winter. I decide to let my buddy go first. Water is butter, and he lands a few 720's and he is just down to saying '1 more time' when Ranger John comes on the scene and kindly gives me a free boat inspection. I pass the inspection with flying colors, but he is disgruntled that my buddy is not wearing a Coast Guard approved PFD, I wasn't holding a flag and trying to drive at the same time, and there is no observer. He didn't buy that the baby was our 3rd. So I got tickets for not having a 3rd and not having a PFD for the baby. I got warnings for my buddy's comp vest and not using a flag. I get to find out how much that costs when I contact the court in 5-14 days.

The worst part is that I didn't get to go! I should have taken the first run. :cry:

The weather is supposed to turn to crap this weekend and I probably won't see water that good again until next September. Just venting, thanks for listening. On top of that, I heard that Lake Powell has Mussels, Obama won the election, and some work politics have been a pain.

And if anyone is ever down this way, shoot me a message, I seem to be incapable of finding a 3rd this time of year. :biggrin:

2012-11-07102458.jpg

TRR-

Hey buddy I am with on on the comp vest, and luckily I have never been in a state that requires a dedicated observer...only the big review mirror require for a lone driver... no flags req'd. PITA there for no real benefit.

But I am with him on the ticket for the baby...although we all know our boats would never sink....there is no excuse for that.

HOLY CRAP you are 6'9" ???

is it still pronounced "hurr uh kin"?

Gah bad luck. Our sled is winterized, batteries out, oil changed, washed and waxed and covered in storage.

Gonna be 37* for a high here on sat. And believe it or not I'm having a hard time finding takers for a long bike ride.

Prepare to be flamed for admitting you had a baby onboard with no pfd, not saying I haven't done it, just sayin....

Edit -However, only in calm waters just idling around, definitely not while boarding. Yup, you're gettin it all ready :(

Edited by Ndawg12

I get the non-CGA jacket. I get no flag deal (we don't have flags here), and I get the no observer on deserted water.

But no PFD on a 4-month old??!! WTF is wrong with you? I wouldn't dare let an infant on my boat without a PFD, whether it was mine or someone elses. Give the poor kid a fighting chance at least.

I'm guessing the infant was strapped in a car seat, which floats. You could not get a life vest in there too, nor would need one. 4 months is really young, they can't do much at all so they need to be strapped into something.

TRR-

Hey buddy I am with on on the comp vest, and luckily I have never been in a state that requires a dedicated observer...only the big review mirror require for a lone driver... no flags req'd. PITA there for no real benefit.

But I am with him on the ticket for the baby...although we all know our boats would never sink....there is no excuse for that.

HOLY CRAP you are 6'9" ???

No, I just put that on my driver's license to freak people out :biggrin:

Just kidding. It is true.

is it still pronounced "hurr uh kin"?

Gah bad luck. Our sled is winterized, batteries out, oil changed, washed and waxed and covered in storage.

Gonna be 37* for a high here on sat. And believe it or not I'm having a hard time finding takers for a long bike ride.

Yes, the reservoir is technically within Hurrikun city boundaries. The place usually lives up to its name (hurricane = wind), so these calm days are especially awesome.

Prepare to be flamed for admitting you had a baby onboard with no pfd, not saying I haven't done it, just sayin....

Edit -However, only in calm waters just idling around, definitely not while boarding. Yup, you're gettin it all ready :(

Yes, I supposed I will be flamed, but she was in the floating car seat, with 20 life vests on board. And I already said I deserved that. On a very small lake with no traffic, and the buddy that ran me aground last month on my foil is not the one with me today.

I get the non-CGA jacket. I get no flag deal (we don't have flags here), and I get the no observer on deserted water.

But no PFD on a 4-month old??!! WTF is wrong with you? I wouldn't dare let an infant on my boat without a PFD, whether it was mine or someone elses. Give the poor kid a fighting chance at least.

Feel free to flame on.

I'm guessing the infant was strapped in a car seat, which floats. You could not get a life vest in there too, nor would need one. 4 months is really young, they can't do much at all so they need to be strapped into something.

We might be able to jam an infant life vest on her in the car seat, but that might be a stretch to get accomplished.

Someone please post a link to where you can purchase a floating infant car seat. Thanks in advance.

Edit***** Float upright that is. The one we have might float upside down but that obviously wouldn't work.

Edited by NorrisMike

That sounds like a rough day. You probably got your bad breaks all out in one day - smooth sailing from here on out then, right?

Apparently I was tied to the mast of a 22 foot sailboat in a sailboat race in 30 knot winds and five foot seas two days after being born. Didn't seem to be a problem for me then. I'm sure your baby was just fine resting in a car seat cozy and safe and warm before Johnny Law intervened.

The law may have been out there just to try to drum up some $$'s for the local coffers while blowing the cobwebs out of their boat. In either case, doing what's right for boater safety and ordinary recreational enjoyment was probably not a priority for the guy with the badge. Ah well, I guess they're just doing their job.

Brighter days ahead.

Edited by CliffB

I'm just impressed that you accepted the fact that laws were broken and you didn't throw a fit about receiving tickets. There are WAY too many threads about people being upset because they received a ticket for breaking the law. So, for that you should be commended. :)

Bummer man. From fun to none as fast as a flashing light. Bummer.....I bet he was out since bird hunting is in now. The lull between "summer boating" and hunting season means no patrol on our lake, but after hunting season is in look out....they're back.

No kiddos here, but my buddy has a floating car seat. I will certainly be getting one of those when we have kiddos. I think if they are strapped into that and placed in the walkway they are way safer than just laying on a seat with a PFD. I could be wrong, but that car seat looked like it was the shizzle.

It's not just you on the lake. You could be the best driver in the world, and some idiot fly into you at 35mph. I'm speaking from experience.

We were just sitting there, only 2 boats on the lake, the other guy never even looked up, he was fiddling with something in the boat.

Please find a way to safely take the baby.

Steve B.

i live in southern NH and we are getting our first nor easter of the season. Some snow but mostly rain and wind. I would gladly pay a fine for an opportunity to ski one more time before the lake cubes up. :cry:

It's not just you on the lake. You could be the best driver in the world, and some idiot fly into you at 35mph. I'm speaking from experience.

We were just sitting there, only 2 boats on the lake, the other guy never even looked up, he was fiddling with something in the boat.

Please find a way to safely take the baby.

Steve B.

I never worry about my driving, but I am always cautious bout the other driver...cause you never know if they see you, if they are/have been drinking, wanting to graduate from their online kamikazee school!!

2 years ago December we had clear cool weather, more then enough water in the lake, had not seen the sheriff at the lake since late October and found a friend willing to take a run on the lake just to get out there and have a little fun. It was about 50 degrees the water was perfectly flat so we pulled out the 27 foot shadow cat with the 500 hp big block. Got out on the lake, ran a few laps, burned 20 gallons of fuel and hit over 92mph on each straight. My partner was not smiling and had more of a "look of terror". He was ready to go home. As we pulled up to the ramp both the sheriff and state ranger were waiting.

We tied up as they walked down to have a chat with us. Needless to say we had no registration numbers on the boat and I forgot my dealers plates, I also forgot they have a speed limit on our lake.

When they got to the boat, I smiled and asked "how's it going?" The sheriff said how fast we're you going, I knew it was a speeding ticket

In the works, so my response was about 70, he shakes his head and says "we'll we got you on radar" but it sure looked faster then that. WHAT? No ticket? They both came down to just have a look at the fools on the lake and to advise us that as we made our runs going directly at the dam, home land security that has people on the dam had us in the cross hairs thinking we might be a threat. They knew my name and had already inform them of our historical high speed runs with different race boats.

I have not seen my friend in years, I heard he moved to Thailand

I think the most important lesson here is that if you're going to ski without an observer, ALWAYS ski first! You got all the fines and none of the fun. Had you gone first you would have had all the fun and no consequence. Granted your buddy would have been screwed, but that's what he gets for hanging out with a criminal. :Tease3:

• Like 2

I'm curious to see how much a not having a 3rd ticket is going to be. I've been tempted several times to do a quick run with the wife.

But I would have to guess you living in Utah and me in CA, my ticket would be at least double. I was doing a bit more research, and found this from a thread in 2006:

Here is the official law for the state of California.

According to section 668 of the California Harbors and Navigation code, a person caught towing a skier without an observer (who must be over the age of 12 and using a flag) will be guilty of a misdemeanor. They will be fined up to $200 and must appear in court. I received this information from Mike Setello at the California Department of Boating and Waterways. His number is 916-263-0782.

I'm curious to see how much a not having a 3rd ticket is going to be. I've been tempted several times to do a quick run with the wife.

But I would have to guess you living in Utah and me in CA, my ticket would be at least double. I was doing a bit more research, and found this from a thread in 2006:

Yeah I've done here in WI but not been caught yet. From what I've been told its about $170 here. It's ridiculous that is a pretty stiff fine and there are many states out there that only require a mirror. Oh well.

Well, I suppose a blow up Annie observer is out, huh. :Doh:

Sorry to hear that, Larry. My wife & I do the same thing too. Especially if it's dead on the lake, and especially considering that I outweigh her by 80 lbs, she'd never be able to get me back in the boat if I was hurt bad.

We do do a few things to help minimize risk a little.... although I'm sure Johnny Law would not be sympathetic in the least.

- Good quality CSG vests for sure. Don't believe me? Do a test yourself. With no board or ski attached, wearing your favorite vest, jump in the lake. Blow all the air in your lungs out & stop paddling. Do you float? I know I didn't. Not even a little.

I've been knocked silly a few times learning now inverts or spins. And you float a LOT lower in that circumstance than you do normally.

- http://www.flagbuddy.com - cheap & effective.

- As for the vest on the kid, I don't have any. But I know parents that really have to work hard to convince their kids to wear a vest. Guess your buddy has some inspiration to do that now.

We used to do the same thing with "skeeter". Stuff a wetsuit with towels and set him in the observers seat. Dude was kinda quiet, terrible skier, lol !

Steve B.

Ha! Yea, but he doesn't eat or drink much!!