Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pretty fricking bad Monday.

Rmack

From the best Friday Ever, to the worst Monday Ever.

Boat is a brand new 2012 Wakesetter LSV. I have only had it out for the test drive.

As I'm putting the boat inside my building I notice that the black gel coat on the starboard side, just behind the tower mount and above the rub rail, is a different color black then the rest of the boat. It is about the size of 1/2 a football and same shape. Not so bad, right? Well just above that at the black/red transition is the other 1/2 of the football, but instead of gel coat dis-coloration........ Spider cracks in the gel coat to match the shape of the "stain" below the rub rail. Looks like there was a repair done in that area.

Called the dealer and sent the pictures. They are putting together a Malibu service ticket. I asked them if they did a gel coat repair or if there was damage to the boat, but the answer was no. The dealer told me that Malibu could have done the repair before it was sent to them. Either way, it's under warranty, but what the heck! Just a downer Monday.

look at the gel coat pics. the larger pic is just showing where this is happening, the smaller two are the actual problem areas.:

http://2012malibumcg...shutterfly.com/

Any opinions on what caused this?

Thanks

Edited by Rmack

Thanks. My dealer is really good and I have no doubt that it will get fixed, just a real downer. It's like finding out that your girlfriend isn't really a girl.

No, it's worse than that. :lol:

Thanks. My dealer is really good and I have no doubt that it will get fixed, just a real downer. It's like finding out that your girlfriend isn't really a girl.

Nah, it's not that bad. It's more like finding out that one of her boobs is a lot smaller than the other......

Years ago I sold our 1983 Ferrari after having the door repainted due to some inconsiderate person giving me a nice door ding. The color and finish were matched perfect however over time I could tell the color was changing differently. I like perfect.

The same goes for boats (in my experience) any gel coat repair will be obvious. On day one the color and texture may look perfect but over time it will show a difference in fading and color. Inspecting over 100 Wakesetters in the past 3 years Gel Coat Repairs are OBVIOUS. The color is always OFF- If you are a perfectionist: make sure they warranty “your” definition of perfect! Define the subjective as: if the repair is visable in 1-2-3-4 or 5 years Malibu will make remedy by correcting the repair.

I think to some extent a definition of NEW is important as well. In my opinion, a damaged and repaired boat is not NEW regardless of hours on the meter. With the damage clearly visible in pictures I would have an incredibly hard time paying NEW money for it. I would think either Malibu or your dealer would need to come correct and admit that your "NEW" boat was damaged and either reduce your price accordingly or offer to build you a new one. For what ya'll pay for those new boats, that baby better be absolutely perfect upon delivery!!!

Just my opinion...

• Like 2

This is going to be interesting to follow... matching black gel coat is not easy, especially in certain light conditions. Obviously they already tried to do it and it did not work. I hope they can do you right, I would accept nothing other than perfect for a brand new boat.

This is going to be interesting to follow... matching black gel coat is not easy, especially in certain light conditions. Obviously they already tried to do it and it did not work. I hope they can do you right, I would accept nothing other than perfect for a brand new boat.

I imagine it's like repairing paint on a car. You can't just "patch" a repair, you have to repaint the whole panel, and blend it into adjacent panels as well.

Keep it in perspective brother. Worse Monday ever would be the call I got that said my wife had been killed in a car accident.......

Enjoy life, don't sweat the small stuff..

My plan is to let this sit for a week and then contact my dealer to see if there is an update from Malibu. I agree that it's unacceptable to sell a boat without full disclosure on repairs made. Shame on Malibu if they sold the boat to my dealer and didn't tell them.

My plan is to let this sit for a week and then contact my dealer to see if there is an update from Malibu. I agree that it's unacceptable to sell a boat without full disclosure on repairs made. Shame on Malibu if they sold the boat to my dealer and didn't tell them.

I agree there should be full disclosure but I can see how a touch-up made is not passed down the info trail. I would not even worry about it, I have done repairs to black boats, and jet skis and they all look fine to this day. Its the off season and personally I would give them at least 3 weeks to complete the job just because its the time of the year when everyone is knocking on the door for winterizations. Just my 2 cents...

I agree there should be full disclosure but I can see how a touch-up made is not passed down the info trail. I would not even worry about it, I have done repairs to black boats, and jet skis and they all look fine to this day. Its the off season and personally I would give them at least 3 weeks to complete the job just because its the time of the year when everyone is knocking on the door for winterizations. Just my 2 cents...

I completely agree. I didn't want to be that guy calling and calling, complaining and bi*&$ing. This is my second bu and my dealer knows my personality already, so I will let them do their work and get this resolved. BTW I Love the Black and Yellow. IT'S BAD A$@!

They should be offering you a new boat, same build. That is BS. No, actually, they should be emphatically apologizing and demanding you take a replacement boat.

edit -they being Malibu aka the factory/manufacturer

Edited by MalibuTime

A side story (ok, a hijack), back in the mid 90's my buddy got a brand new Ski-Nautique that was delivered in March and he was very anxious to try out. It was a lovely New England winters day, high 40's, so we snow-plowed the ramp, launched the boat, did some skiing, footing, etc. When he took the boat out of the water we noticed spider cracks all along the top of the gunnel... Correct Craft apologized profusely, and took the boat back to Florida and replaced the entire deck (rub-rail up), and installed a new stereo for his "trouble".

My buddy neglected to tell them we had a BF boom hanging off the gunnel in cold N.E. temps less than 2 weeks after the boat was built... :whistle:

I hope Malibu and you dealer take good care of you...

Rmack, were those cracks there when you took delivery of the boat? Did your dealer go down the delivery inspection checklist with you? You are supposed to sign one, its req'd... and one part of that list is a top to bottom joint inspection of the boat.

the good thing about this is, there are a lot of dealers that really know how to do some great quality gel work...so it could be a non-issue once your dealer gets it in and gets some time on it.

Edited by nyryan2001

aw man, hate to hear that. Malibu will make it right, however, should have never left the factory. that is BS, IMO.

It should never have left the factory, AND the dealer should have caught it!! Looks like both parties were asleep at the wheel!!

Just in case. Blake is, lets say not too proactive about much of anything, but he is the man when deciding how to resolve such issues.

Blake Moore

Director of Customer Service & Warranty

[email protected]

(865) 458-7222

Edited by [email protected]

Keep it in perspective brother. Worse Monday ever would be the call I got that said my wife had been killed in a car accident.......

Enjoy life, don't sweat the small stuff..

This will work its way out and the boat will be made back into perfect condition. It is not the worst Monday ever for sure.

Interestingly, that looks exactly like my buddy's gelcoat repair. He had a local shop do it, (it wasn't under warranty) and the black just does not match up. It really leaps out at you on a bright sunny day. I appears that black is pretty hard to do.

Rmack, were those cracks there when you took delivery of the boat? Did your dealer go down the delivery inspection checklist with you? You are supposed to sign one, its req'd... and one part of that list is a top to bottom joint inspection of the boat.

the good thing about this is, there are a lot of dealers that really know how to do some great quality gel work...so it could be a non-issue once your dealer gets it in and gets some time on it.

I went over that boat and it was perfect. No inspection list by dealer and nothing signed.

You can only see the black difference in certain lights. The brighter it is the harder it is to see it. The spider cracks had to happen between delivery and weatherization.