Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom and dock LED's

VLX_Fixation

I understand you wanting to go red for the transom to go with the boat, but red has the least amount of penetration under water. depending on where you boat and how clear the water is, you may want to go blue. White from my understanding attracts a lot of fish, while blue is bright, but does not give the fish factor. Depending on budget, you have a lot of options, just remember you do get what you pay for. Shadow Casters are really bright, but very pricey. I went with aqualeds.com blue. Honestly, really happy with them and really cheap in price. everything I researched was much more expensive. I feel these are well built,and put out great light. Don't worry, drilling into your boat is not that bad :) This i one pair of the aqualeds and this is in Parker, AZ

b2883b15.jpg

Edited by wakebrdr94

Thank you for the input. Unforunately the water is really dark and merky where we ride on a daily basis so thats not what im too worried about. I go to a cleaner lake about 5 times a season so maybe the blue light will make more sense. Thank you. Any input on now led's?

good for trailering your boat, or docking at night...That is about it. Since most of the time there is nothing to reflect the light back to you, they don't work that well. Think about driving on a blacktop 2 lane road and what it would be like w/o the reflectinve stripping and side markers...

Just becareful as to when and where you have the bow lights on...SOme folks on this site are not aware/refuse to acknowledge that it is illegal to have them on at night...They blind oncoming boats.

I saw a pretty slick set up a few years back. The trailer had runway like lighting on the frame for night use. You could see the trailer rails 100+ feet away as you approached. No glare back from docking lights, just two lines of lights to direct you.

Anyway, with the tower available, I'd be more apt to install docking light up top. Should provide better light dispersion and be able to see up on higher docks once you are tied off. Just a thought.

good for trailering your boat, or docking at night...That is about it. Since most of the time there is nothing to reflect the light back to you, they don't work that well. Think about driving on a blacktop 2 lane road and what it would be like w/o the reflectinve stripping and side markers...

Just becareful as to when and where you have the bow lights on...SOme folks on this site are not aware/refuse to acknowledge that it is illegal to have them on at night...They blind oncoming boats.

Yea the only reason im wanting them is launching at night. And yes i agree that some are ignorant to using them unnecessarily. Thank you

I saw a pretty slick set up a few years back. The trailer had runway like lighting on the frame for night use. You could see the trailer rails 100+ feet away as you approached. No glare back from docking lights, just two lines of lights to direct you.

Anyway, with the tower available, I'd be more apt to install docking light up top. Should provide better light dispersion and be able to see up on higher docks once you are tied off. Just a thought.

You might be referring to the tha axis Vandall Edition trailer. It's An amazing setup. Im actually in the process of

Picking out lights to wire my trailer similar to that. Also, i have the tower dock light already, it works good for docking but not so great for launching. The idea of the bow lights for me would be strictly for launching at night. More than often its pretty dark by the time we get off the water so ive gotta figure out lighting on the bow. Thanks :)

You mean on the trailer? If so thats a great idea...

Should i run a seperate battery on my trailer to power the lights?

yep.

Should just be able to use the vehicle's power shouldn't you? Of course, if you're loading at night, might as well just tie the runway lights into the "normal" lighting...could also just mount a switch on the tongue. But, would be pretty sweet on a floater switch. I don't THINK I can claim that as an original idea, I seem to think Axis' runway lighting comes on like that but I'm not sure.

yep.

Should just be able to use the vehicle's power shouldn't you? Of course, if you're loading at night, might as well just tie the runway lights into the "normal" lighting...could also just mount a switch on the tongue. But, would be pretty sweet on a floater switch. I don't THINK I can claim that as an original idea, I seem to think Axis' runway lighting comes on like that but I'm not sure.

I was originally thinking of putting a switch on the tongue but the floating switch is a good idea...i think the axis trailer runs off of your reverse lights if im not mistaken...thats a rumor i heard...i think ill be running two switches because i have a semi complicated rv parking set up between my trailer and boat so id like to be able to turn them on at home too. But dont want to have to turn them on every time my wife backs it down the launch ramp...so many ideas flowing. Haha

Boatmate Trailers sells a trailer runway light kit with white LEDs. It uses an electronic bilge water level sensor as opposed to a traditional bilge float. You just tie the float into the trucks running lights via the trailers running lights, so its hot when the headlamps are on. When the sensor hits the water, the LEDs come on. 12 LEDs wont pull more then a couple amps, so no need for a battery for the trailer runway lights. If you want a color other then white, the sensor and other color LEDs can be sourced separately, but the Boatmate kit only comes in white.